* [U-Boot] yaffs2 u-boot patching support
@ 2012-04-16  4:32 Charles Manning
From: Charles Manning @ 2012-04-16  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello ubooters and yaffsers

I was commissioned to refresh yaffs2 in u-boot and add a mechanism to support
dynamic yaffs partition set up (way simpler than screwing around with mtd
part) and manual configuration.

 Rather than do this as a once off, I set this scripting up so that this can
be done at any time (painlessly I hope) to bring in the fresh code (as per
Linux patching).

Basically...

Get latest from yaffs git.

cd yaffs2-dir/direct/u-boot

./patch-u-boot.sh uboot-dir

Edit your u-boot config file and add

#define CONFIG_YAFFS2 1

Rebuild u-boot (mrproper probably a Good Idea). Job done.

OK, so how does the new dynamic partition stuff work?

There are 2 new commands: ydevconfig configures a mount point "partition" and
ydevls lists the mount points and their state

So for example let us say we want a mount point called foo on NAND device 0
starting at block 55 and ending at block 999.

ydevconfig foo 0 55 999

Now you want to mount it.

ymount foo

Access files and do stuff...

yls foo
yls -l foo       # more info
ymkdir foo/dir

You can have multiple mountpoints in use at the same time though they are not
allowed to overlap.

inband tags is selected automatically if there is insufficient space in
oobavail to store the tags.

Have fun.

Charles

* [U-Boot] yaffs2 u-boot patching support
@ 2012-04-19 21:40 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2012-04-19 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:32:07PM +1200, Charles Manning wrote:

> Hello ubooters and yaffsers
>
> I was commissioned to refresh yaffs2 in u-boot and add a mechanism to support
> dynamic yaffs partition set up (way simpler than screwing around with mtd
> part) and manual configuration.
>
>  Rather than do this as a once off, I set this scripting up so that this can
> be done at any time (painlessly I hope) to bring in the fresh code (as per
> Linux patching).

Just to put this out there, if you're not submitting patches to get the
code into git, should the current support in-tree be removed?

--
Tom

* [U-Boot] [Yaffs]  yaffs2 u-boot patching support
@ 2012-04-22 20:23   ` Charles Manning
From: Charles Manning @ 2012-04-22 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Friday 20 April 2012 09:40:50 Tom Rini wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:32:07PM +1200, Charles Manning wrote:
> > Hello ubooters and yaffsers
> >
> > I was commissioned to refresh yaffs2 in u-boot and add a mechanism to
> > support dynamic yaffs partition set up (way simpler than screwing around
> > with mtd part) and manual configuration.
> >
> >  Rather than do this as a once off, I set this scripting up so that this
> > can be done at any time (painlessly I hope) to bring in the fresh code
> > (as per Linux patching).
>
> Just to put this out there, if you're not submitting patches to get the
> code into git, should the current support in-tree be removed?

I think it is worth having yaffs in the main code base, but not the old stuff.

The primary reason to have a "patch-in" script is to allow people to refresh
the yaffs they are using in a pretty painless way.

-- Charles

* [U-Boot] [Yaffs]  yaffs2 u-boot patching support
@ 2012-04-23 15:18     ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2012-04-23 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 04/22/2012 01:23 PM, Charles Manning wrote:
> On Friday 20 April 2012 09:40:50 Tom Rini wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:32:07PM +1200, Charles Manning wrote:
>>> Hello ubooters and yaffsers
>>>
>>> I was commissioned to refresh yaffs2 in u-boot and add a mechanism to
>>> support dynamic yaffs partition set up (way simpler than screwing around
>>> with mtd part) and manual configuration.
>>>
>>>   Rather than do this as a once off, I set this scripting up so that this
>>> can be done at any time (painlessly I hope) to bring in the fresh code
>>> (as per Linux patching).
>>
>> Just to put this out there, if you're not submitting patches to get the
>> code into git, should the current support in-tree be removed?
>
> I think it is worth having yaffs in the main code base, but not the old stuff.
>
> The primary reason to have a "patch-in" script is to allow people to refresh
> the yaffs they are using in a pretty painless way.

OK, but why not just update mainline?  When you posted the original
message, the next branch of master was open.  Today master is open.  I'm
pretty sure that a pull request from the yaffs2 maintainers to update
the codebase would be accepted if it's self contained to fs/yaffs2 and
reviewed if it touches stuff outside.  This isn't the old days... Thanks!

--

@ 2012-04-23 15:33     ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2012-04-23 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 22/04/2012 22:23, Charles Manning wrote:
> On Friday 20 April 2012 09:40:50 Tom Rini wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:32:07PM +1200, Charles Manning wrote:
>>> Hello ubooters and yaffsers

Hi Charles,

>>> I was commissioned to refresh yaffs2 in u-boot and add a mechanism to
>>> support dynamic yaffs partition set up (way simpler than screwing around
>>> with mtd part) and manual configuration.
>>>
>>>  Rather than do this as a once off, I set this scripting up so that this
>>> can be done at any time (painlessly I hope) to bring in the fresh code
>>> (as per Linux patching).
>>
>> Just to put this out there, if you're not submitting patches to get the
>> code into git, should the current support in-tree be removed?
>
> I think it is worth having yaffs in the main code base, but not the old stuff.
>
> The primary reason to have a "patch-in" script is to allow people to refresh
> the yaffs they are using in a pretty painless way.

Well, why do not push your patches directly to ML ? This increases
surely the number of testers, and after ypur patches will be merged
thare is not need for external scripts.

Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de

* [U-Boot] [Yaffs]  yaffs2 u-boot patching support
@ 2012-04-25 20:43       ` Charles Manning
From: Charles Manning @ 2012-04-25 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tuesday 24 April 2012 03:33:35 Stefano Babic wrote:
> On 22/04/2012 22:23, Charles Manning wrote:
>
> Hi Charles,

> >> Just to put this out there, if you're not submitting patches to get the
> >> code into git, should the current support in-tree be removed?
> >
> > I think it is worth having yaffs in the main code base, but not the old
> > stuff.
> >
> > The primary reason to have a "patch-in" script is to allow people to
> > refresh the yaffs they are using in a pretty painless way.
>
> Well, why do not push your patches directly to ML ? This increases
> surely the number of testers, and after ypur patches will be merged
> thare is not need for external scripts.

I have sent a pull request to the list.
https://github.com/cdhmanning/u-boot-yaffs2

-- CHarles