* New DFS pattern detector
@ 2012-04-24  7:50 Jonathan Bither
From: Jonathan Bither @ 2012-04-24  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hey List,
	With the new DFS pattern detector that was added for ath9k, I was curious if this would be beneficial for the ath5k and possibly other drivers as well. Was there any interest in perhaps making this a common API?

Thanks,
Jonathan Bither

* Re: New DFS pattern detector
@ 2012-04-24  8:50 ` Zefir Kurtisi
From: Zefir Kurtisi @ 2012-04-24  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Bither; +Cc: linux-wireless

Hi Jonathan,

an earlier proposal for the DFS pattern detector posted at [1] was in
fact located in the common ath layer and meant to be used by all DFS
capable Atheros devices.

For the sake of simplicity and based on assumptions that ath9k will be
the first driver to use it, the detector was finally moved into ath9k.
So far, it is independent of the underlying HW and if there was a
consensus that it could be used by ath5k or other drivers, I'll take
care to move it back to the ath layer.

FYI, the initial plans were even to have the detector fully abstracted
from the underlying driver and provide it as part of mac80211. With no
further feedback from other chip-manufacturers the generic approach was
dropped and became Atheros specific.

Feel free to ask for further details, though I'm out of office right now
and will respond delayed.

HTH, Zefir

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/84402

On 24.04.2012 09:50, Jonathan Bither wrote:
> Hey List,
> 	With the new DFS pattern detector that was added for ath9k, I was curious if this would be beneficial for the ath5k and possibly other drivers as well. Was there any interest in perhaps making this a common API?
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan Bither

* Re: New DFS pattern detector
@ 2012-04-24  9:26   ` Jonathan Bither
From: Jonathan Bither @ 2012-04-24  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zefir Kurtisi; +Cc: linux-wireless

Zefir,
	Thanks for the reply. Right now i'm still getting my feet wet as far as kernel driver development, and as such I started to see what I could do to help with the ath5k target as I use that everyday at work. I've been picking little tasks, but as I become more comfortable I wanted to see if I could do more for the community.

Thanks again,
Jonathan Bither