* makedumpfile availability for x86 3.2 kernels
@ 2012-04-26 20:27 Bouchard Louis
From: Bouchard Louis @ 2012-04-26 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kumagai-atsushi; +Cc: kexec

Hello Kumagai-san,

Do you have an idea of the availability of makedumpfile for 3.2 flavor
kernels ?

Ubuntu 12.04 Precise have just been released today and, since it is
based on a 3.2 kernel, makedumpfile no longer works for it.

Kind regards,

...Louis
--
Louis Bouchard
Backline Support Analyst

* Re: makedumpfile availability for x86 3.2 kernels
@ 2012-04-27  4:24 ` Atsushi Kumagai
From: Atsushi Kumagai @ 2012-04-27  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: louis.bouchard; +Cc: kexec

Hello Louis,

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:27:31 -0400
Bouchard Louis <louis.bouchard@canonical.com> wrote:

> Hello Kumagai-san,
>
> Do you have an idea of the availability of makedumpfile for 3.2 flavor
> kernels ?
>
> Ubuntu 12.04 Precise have just been released today and, since it is
> based on a 3.2 kernel, makedumpfile no longer works for it.

Sorry, I haven't tested makedumpfile for 3.2 kernel yet, but I think it
will work fine. If makedumpfile doesn't work in your environmental, then
would you report it ?

For your information, Suzuki reported that makedumpfile works for 3.2 kernel
on ppc32.

  http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2012-February/006022.html

Thanks
Atsushi Kumagai

@ 2012-04-27 15:25   ` Bouchard Louis
From: Bouchard Louis @ 2012-04-27 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Atsushi Kumagai; +Cc: kexec

Hello Kumagai-san,

Le 27/04/2012 00:24, Atsushi Kumagai a écrit :

> Sorry, I haven't tested makedumpfile for 3.2 kernel yet, but I think it
> will work fine. If makedumpfile doesn't work in your environmental, then
> would you report it ?
>
> For your information, Suzuki reported that makedumpfile works for 3.2 kernel
> on ppc32.
>
>   http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2012-February/006022.html
>

> Thanks
> Atsushi Kumagai

I've located where makedumpfile is being used in our build process and
I'll do my best to test it A.S.A.P.

I've also filed a bug against it, so you can follow its evolution here :

Kind regards,

...Louis

--

@ 2012-05-02 14:42   ` Bouchard Louis
From: Bouchard Louis @ 2012-05-02 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Atsushi Kumagai; +Cc: kexec

Hello Kumagai-san,

Le 27/04/2012 06:24, Atsushi Kumagai a écrit :
> Hello Louis,
> Sorry, I haven't tested makedumpfile for 3.2 kernel yet, but I think it
> will work fine. If makedumpfile doesn't work in your environmental, then
> would you report it ?
>
> For your information, Suzuki reported that makedumpfile works for 3.2 kernel
> on ppc32.
>
>   http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2012-February/006022.html
>

> Thanks
> Atsushi Kumagai

Following your advice, I tested it on our current kernel build. One of
the Ubuntu kernel developper tested it as well and here is what we get :

> makedumpfile -g vmcoreinfo-3.2.0-24-generic -x ../../build/build-generic/vmlinux
> The kernel version is not supported.
> The created dumpfile may be incomplete.
> generate_vmcoreinfo: Can't find the memory type.
>
> makedumpfile Failed.

I am rebuilding makedumpfile from the latest source (our version is
1.3.7 which is rather old) and will try to debug it further. I will let
you know what I find.

Kind regards,

...Louis

--

@ 2012-05-10  7:37     ` Bouchard Louis
From: Bouchard Louis @ 2012-05-10  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Atsushi Kumagai; +Cc: kexec

Hello Kumagai-san,

Le 27/04/2012 17:25, Bouchard Louis a écrit :

> I've located where makedumpfile is being used in our build process and
> I'll do my best to test it A.S.A.P.
>
> I've also filed a bug against it, so you can follow its evolution here :
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/988512
>
> Kind regards,
>
> ...Louis

I just noticed in another thread (LZO Compression support) that you
mentioned an upcomin 1.4.4 version soon. Do you plan to include support
for the 3.2 kernels which are not yet supported ?

Kind regards,

...Louis

--

@ 2012-05-11  4:52       ` Atsushi Kumagai
From: Atsushi Kumagai @ 2012-05-11  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: louis.bouchard; +Cc: kexec

Hello Louis,

On Thu, 10 May 2012 09:37:25 +0200
Bouchard Louis <louis.bouchard@canonical.com> wrote:

> Hello Kumagai-san,
>
> Le 27/04/2012 17:25, Bouchard Louis a écrit :
> >
> > I've located where makedumpfile is being used in our build process and
> > I'll do my best to test it A.S.A.P.
> >
> > I've also filed a bug against it, so you can follow its evolution here :
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/988512
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > ...Louis
> >

> I just noticed in another thread (LZO Compression support) that you
> mentioned an upcomin 1.4.4 version soon. Do you plan to include support
> for the 3.2 kernels which are not yet supported ?

The test of v1.4.4 also targets 3.2 kernel. If it is done with good results,
I will include 3.2 kernel in supported versions.

Thanks
Atsushi Kumagai.