* HDA driver without interrupt
@ 2012-05-02 12:54 liufc
From: liufc @ 2012-05-02 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi guys,I'm trying to implement an alsa driver based on the Intel HDA
driver.However due to some hardware defects,I'm not able to use
interrupt.So I wonder whether there is a way to do the job without the
help of interrupt.Can anyone give me a suggestion?

* Re: HDA driver without interrupt
@ 2012-05-02 19:28 ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2012-05-02 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

On 5/2/2012 7:54 AM, liufc wrote:
> Hi guys,I'm trying to implement an alsa driver based on the Intel HDA
> driver.However due to some hardware defects,I'm not able to use
> interrupt.So I wonder whether there is a way to do the job without the
> help of interrupt.Can anyone give me a suggestion?
What interrupt are you talking about? ALSA has the ability to discard
periodic interrupts but the user-space code needs to explicitly request
this mode (eg PulseAudio/AudioHAL). Regular/legacy apps do need an
interrupt coming from the hardware.
-Pierre

* Re: HDA driver without interrupt
@ 2012-05-03  6:13 ` Clemens Ladisch
       [not found]   ` <CAOAAS1z7iA2excEt9cE45CBmQs=XUkigW6+A94zyp2BuRLBBcA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2012-05-03  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: liufc; +Cc: alsa-devel

liufc wrote:
> Hi guys,I'm trying to implement an alsa driver based on the Intel HDA
> driver.However due to some hardware defects,I'm not able to use
> interrupt.

How does your hardware work then?

Regards,
Clemens

@ 2012-05-03  8:37     ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2012-05-03  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fanchao Liu; +Cc: alsa-devel

Fanchao Liu wrote:
> It can transfer data via DMA,the problem is I don't know when to
> update hw_ptr and other pointers without interrupt.

Does the hardware have some other means to at least read the current
position?

> I set a timer and call snd_pcm_period_elapsed() every 50ms but get
> underrun error.

With a call to snd_pcm_period_elapsed(), the driver guarantees that the
current position is at or after the next period boundary.

Regards,
Clemens