* errno "SEE ALSO" link on each page which returns errno values
@ 2011-10-28 22:49 Jon Grant
       [not found] ` <CAGc9EvdiKU=YC_ff6OGQk2Lz5J4oduotXB2f7yWZSGWbpQEcYw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Jon Grant @ 2011-10-28 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w; +Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hello

I saw quite a lot of pages have this text:

"in which case errno is set appropriately".

e.g.
http://kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man2/close.2.html

Could I ask, it would be useful to have a SEE ALSO link for errno
page, would that be possible?

Best regards, Jon

* Re: errno "SEE ALSO" link on each page which returns errno values
       [not found] ` <CAGc9EvdiKU=YC_ff6OGQk2Lz5J4oduotXB2f7yWZSGWbpQEcYw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-04-17 19:45   ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
       [not found]     ` <CAKgNAkhVZ4KpUUCdavC0-k6OdO3f4356rWo1vSpY8CEDbpXZ8Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2012-04-17 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Grant; +Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Jon,

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Jon Grant <jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I saw quite a lot of pages have this text:
>
> "in which case errno is set appropriately".
>
> e.g.
> http://kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man2/close.2.html
>
> Could I ask, it would be useful to have a SEE ALSO link for errno
> page, would that be possible?

Since that would be the majority of the pages, what would the purpose be?

Thanks,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
Author of "The Linux Programming Interface"; http://man7.org/tlpi/

@ 2012-04-17 20:57       ` Jon Grant
       [not found]         ` <4F8DD953.9050704-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org>
From: Jon Grant @ 2012-04-17 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w; +Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 17/04/12 20:45, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> Jon,
>
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Jon Grant<jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I saw quite a lot of pages have this text:
>>
>> "in which case errno is set appropriately".
>>
>> e.g.
>> http://kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man2/close.2.html
>>
>> Could I ask, it would be useful to have a SEE ALSO link for errno
>> page, would that be possible?
>
> Since that would be the majority of the pages, what would the purpose be?

errno is a relevant link IMHO. Otherwise we have to click out, navigate
to the page manually.

@ 2012-04-18 20:47           ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
       [not found]             ` <CAKgNAkjQOEjH8iyMfm0K8FcqvDMFmj6KPfoxGNmwxfH5HBu5cA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2012-04-18 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Grant; +Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Jon Grant <jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 17/04/12 20:45, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
>>
>> Jon,
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Jon Grant<jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I saw quite a lot of pages have this text:
>>>
>>> "in which case errno is set appropriately".
>>>
>>> e.g.
>>> http://kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man2/close.2.html
>>>
>>> Could I ask, it would be useful to have a SEE ALSO link for errno
>>> page, would that be possible?
>>

>> Since that would be the majority of the pages, what would the purpose be?
>

> errno is a relevant link IMHO. Otherwise we have to click out, navigate to
> the page manually.

Okay. I'll add that.

Thanks,

Michael

--

@ 2012-05-06 15:54               ` Jon Grant
       [not found]                 ` <4FA69ECE.8000505-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org>
From: Jon Grant @ 2012-05-06 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w; +Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 18/04/12 21:47, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Jon Grant<jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>>
>> On 17/04/12 20:45, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
[..]
>> errno is a relevant link IMHO. Otherwise we have to click out, navigate to
>> the page manually.
>
> Okay. I'll add that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Hi

Will this errno link be on all "SEE ALSO"?

I checked two, but these did not have the link:

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/close.2.html

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/fopen.3.html

@ 2012-05-06 18:14                   ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
       [not found]                     ` <CAKgNAkj5UsnjU2uXijeYrYF-_Z6z9vgGgiP-7sH1NJ9pi7nrGw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2012-05-06 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Grant; +Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:54 AM, Jon Grant <jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 18/04/12 21:47, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Jon Grant<jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>>>

>>> On 17/04/12 20:45, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>>> errno is a relevant link IMHO. Otherwise we have to click out, navigate
>>> the page manually.
>>

>> Okay. I'll add that.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Michael
>

> Hi
>

> Will this errno link be on all "SEE ALSO"?
>
> I checked two, but these did not have the link:
>
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/close.2.html
>
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/fopen.3.html

Hi Jon,

The rendering changes will come out with the 3.41 release. The pages
won't change (there's no point in adding "errno" to the SEE ALSO of
every page), but the html rendering will link errno to errno(3).

Cheers,

Michael

--

@ 2012-05-06 19:06                       ` Jon Grant
From: Jon Grant @ 2012-05-06 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w; +Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 06/05/12 19:14, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:54 AM, Jon Grant<jg-hus3n9K41k0@public.gmane.org>  wrote:

>> [..]

>>> Okay. I'll add that.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Michael
>>

>> Hi
>>

>> Will this errno link be on all "SEE ALSO"?
>>
>> I checked two, but these did not have the link:
>>
>> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/close.2.html
>>
>> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/fopen.3.html
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> The rendering changes will come out with the 3.41 release. The pages
> won't change (there's no point in adding "errno" to the SEE ALSO of
> every page), but the html rendering will link errno to errno(3).

Hi Michael

Ok, I see it now. Great, thank you for adding the link.

Regards, Jon