* [Qemu-devel] How to create new target port?
@ 2012-05-23  2:03 Michael Eager
From: Michael Eager @ 2012-05-23  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi All --

I'm investigating adding a new target architecture
to QEMU.  Are there documents, how-to's, or other
guidance on how to approach this?  Or any advice?

I noticed that there are a number of directories for
architectures like target-arm and target-mips.  There
are also definitions under tcg for arm and mips.  I
noticed that target-microblaze exists, but there is
no microblaze directory under tcg.  What does this
mean?

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077

* Re: [Qemu-devel] How to create new target port?
@ 2012-05-23  6:18 ` 陳韋任
From: 陳韋任 @ 2012-05-23  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Eager; +Cc: qemu-devel

> I'm investigating adding a new target architecture
> to QEMU.  Are there documents, how-to's, or other
> guidance on how to approach this?  Or any advice?
>
> I noticed that there are a number of directories for
> architectures like target-arm and target-mips.  There
> are also definitions under tcg for arm and mips.  I
> noticed that target-microblaze exists, but there is
> no microblaze directory under tcg.  What does this
> mean?

  Depends on what you'd like to add, a guest or a host support. If you want to
add a new guest, take target-xxx/* as an example. Otherwise, looks at tcg/xxx/*.
The term "target" could be a little MISLEADING here. :)

Regards,
chenwj

--
Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,

* Re: [Qemu-devel] How to create new target port?
@ 2012-05-23 14:37   ` Michael Eager
From: Michael Eager @ 2012-05-23 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 陳韋任; +Cc: qemu-devel

On 05/22/2012 11:18 PM, 陳韋任 wrote:
>> I'm investigating adding a new target architecture
>> to QEMU.  Are there documents, how-to's, or other
>> guidance on how to approach this?  Or any advice?
>>
>> I noticed that there are a number of directories for
>> architectures like target-arm and target-mips.  There
>> are also definitions under tcg for arm and mips.  I
>> noticed that target-microblaze exists, but there is
>> no microblaze directory under tcg.  What does this
>> mean?
>
>    Depends on what you'd like to add, a guest or a host support. If you want to
> add a new guest, take target-xxx/* as an example. Otherwise, looks at tcg/xxx/*.
> The term "target" could be a little MISLEADING here. :)

I'm interested in adding a new emulated architecture,
not a new host.  So adding a new target-<arch> sounds
like the plan.

--

@ 2012-05-23 15:59     ` Stefan Weil
From: Stefan Weil @ 2012-05-23 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Eager; +Cc: qemu-devel

Am 23.05.2012 16:37, schrieb Michael Eager:
> On 05/22/2012 11:18 PM, 陳韋任 wrote:
>>> I'm investigating adding a new target architecture
>>> to QEMU.  Are there documents, how-to's, or other
>>> guidance on how to approach this?  Or any advice?
>>>
>>> I noticed that there are a number of directories for
>>> architectures like target-arm and target-mips.  There
>>> are also definitions under tcg for arm and mips.  I
>>> noticed that target-microblaze exists, but there is
>>> no microblaze directory under tcg.  What does this
>>> mean?
>>
>>    Depends on what you'd like to add, a guest or a host support. If
>> you want to
>> add a new guest, take target-xxx/* as an example. Otherwise, looks at
>> tcg/xxx/*.
>> The term "target" could be a little MISLEADING here. :)
>
> I'm interested in adding a new emulated architecture,
> not a new host.  So adding a new target-<arch> sounds
> like the plan.

Yes, that's the place for new target architectures.

Which architecture are you thinking of? Maybe someone else
is already working on it. http://wiki.qemu.org/Links has an
incomplete list of links to unofficial versions of QEMU which
support additional targets.

Regards,
Stefan Weil

* Re: [Qemu-devel] How to create new target port?
@ 2012-05-23 19:04       ` Michael Eager
From: Michael Eager @ 2012-05-23 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Weil; +Cc: qemu-devel

On 05/23/2012 08:59 AM, Stefan Weil wrote:

>>> Depends on what you'd like to add, a guest or a host support. If you want to
>>> add a new guest, take target-xxx/* as an example. Otherwise, looks at tcg/xxx/*.
>>> The term "target" could be a little MISLEADING here. :)
>>
>> I'm interested in adding a new emulated architecture,
>> not a new host. So adding a new target-<arch> sounds
>> like the plan.
>
> Yes, that's the place for new target architectures.
>
> Which architecture are you thinking of? Maybe someone else
> is already working on it. http://wiki.qemu.org/Links has an
> incomplete list of links to unofficial versions of QEMU which
> support additional targets.

Thanks for the pointer.  It's a proprietary architecture,
not one of those mentioned.  I'll add it to the list as we
move forward with the project.