* meta-cedartrail - serial console
@ 2012-05-31 16:11 jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-05-31 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Using a DN2800MT (Marshalltown) Intel board, I'm testing the
meta-cedartrail using edison branch and noticed an issues with the
serial console.

The cedartrail.conf in the machine directory has the following statements:

SYSLINUX_OPTS = "serial 0 115200"
SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS0"
APPEND += "console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0"

However, when the image booted, I had no serial console on ttyS0.  I
checked /etc/inittab and noticed that the following line existed:

S:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 ttyS3

I changed the ttyS3 to ttyS0 and then I have a serial console on the
next reboot.  So it appears the override in the .conf file is not
working.  Also I only have the console from getty, and not the kernel
logging console.

Anyone have a solution??

If this is considered a bug I can put it on bugzilla.

Jim A

* Re: meta-cedartrail - serial console
@ 2012-05-31 18:13 ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2012-05-31 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: yocto

On 05/31/2012 09:11 AM, jfabernathy wrote:
> Using a DN2800MT (Marshalltown) Intel board, I'm testing the
> meta-cedartrail using edison branch and noticed an issues with the
> serial console.
>
> The cedartrail.conf in the machine directory has the following statements:
>
> SYSLINUX_OPTS = "serial 0 115200"
> SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS0"
> APPEND += "console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0"
>
> However, when the image booted, I had no serial console on ttyS0.  I
> checked /etc/inittab and noticed that the following line existed:
>
> S:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 ttyS3
>
> I changed the ttyS3 to ttyS0 and then I have a serial console on the
> next reboot.  So it appears the override in the .conf file is not
> working.  Also I only have the console from getty, and not the kernel
> logging console.
>
> Anyone have a solution??
>
> If this is considered a bug I can put it on bugzilla.

Lets make sure your environment is what we expect. Please provide the
output of:

$ bitbake core-image-minimal -e | grep SERIAL_CONSOLE=

If it is not "115200 ttyS0" then it is getting overwritten somewhere
either in your config, or possibly by an inappropriate selection of an
assignment operator (=, ?=, etc.) in edison.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center

* Re: meta-cedartrail - serial console
@ 2012-05-31 18:18 ` Bodke, Kishore K
From: Bodke, Kishore K @ 2012-05-31 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy, yocto

I just saw that Edison branch has ttyS3 enabled.

SYSLINUX_OPTS = "serial 3 115200"
SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS3"
APPEND += "console=ttyS3,115200 console=tty3"

Are you looking into right branch?

Thanks
-Kishore.

@ 2012-05-31 18:36   ` jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-05-31 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bodke, Kishore K; +Cc: yocto

On 05/31/2012 02:18 PM, Bodke, Kishore K wrote:

> [...]
you are right. too many tests in parallel.  In Edison it does have
ttyS3.  I'll edit that to ttyS01 and see if if can get it right for the
DN2800MT board.  Is there a way to override the standard settings in the
local.conf file???

@ 2012-05-31 18:54   ` jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-05-31 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart; +Cc: yocto

On 05/31/2012 02:13 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 05/31/2012 09:11 AM, jfabernathy wrote:
>> Using a DN2800MT (Marshalltown) Intel board, I'm testing the
>> meta-cedartrail using edison branch and noticed an issues with the
>> serial console.
>>
>> The cedartrail.conf in the machine directory has the following statements:
>>
>> SYSLINUX_OPTS = "serial 0 115200"
>> SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS0"
>> APPEND += "console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0"
>>
>> However, when the image booted, I had no serial console on ttyS0.  I
>> checked /etc/inittab and noticed that the following line existed:
>>
>> S:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 ttyS3
>>
>> I changed the ttyS3 to ttyS0 and then I have a serial console on the
>> next reboot.  So it appears the override in the .conf file is not
>> working.  Also I only have the console from getty, and not the kernel
>> logging console.
>>
>> Anyone have a solution??
>>
>> If this is considered a bug I can put it on bugzilla.
> Lets make sure your environment is what we expect. Please provide the
> output of:
>
> $ bitbake core-image-minimal -e | grep SERIAL_CONSOLE=
>
> If it is not "115200 ttyS0" then it is getting overwritten somewhere
> either in your config, or possibly by an inappropriate selection of an
> assignment operator (=, ?=, etc.) in edison.
okay now I'm confused.  while the cedartrail.conf file has the following:
SYSLINUX_OPTS = "serial 3 115200"
SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS3"
APPEND += "console=ttyS3,115200 console=tty3"

The output of the bitbake command you suggested above gives:
jim@ubuntu-x64:~/poky/build$ bitbake core-image-minimal -e | grep
SERIAL_CONSOLE=

# SERIAL_CONSOLE=115200 ttyS0
SERIAL_CONSOLE="115200 ttyS0"
jim@ubuntu-x64:~/poky/build$

So is the bitbake command showing the results before the cedartrail.conf
options take affect??

@ 2012-05-31 19:32   ` jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-05-31 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bodke, Kishore K; +Cc: yocto

On 05/31/2012 02:18 PM, Bodke, Kishore K wrote:

So how do you get changes in the cedartrail.conf file to take affect??
I edited the file and did the bitbake again, but nothing changed.  I'm
guessing I need a bitbake -c cleansstate "somthing"  But I don't know
what to put there to make rebuild with ttyS0.

Jim A

@ 2012-05-31 19:41     ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2012-05-31 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: yocto

On 05/31/2012 11:54 AM, jfabernathy wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 02:13 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>>
>> On 05/31/2012 09:11 AM, jfabernathy wrote:
>>> Using a DN2800MT (Marshalltown) Intel board, I'm testing the
>>> meta-cedartrail using edison branch and noticed an issues with the
>>> serial console.
>>>
>>> The cedartrail.conf in the machine directory has the following statements:
>>>
>>> SYSLINUX_OPTS = "serial 0 115200"
>>> SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS0"
>>> APPEND += "console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0"
>>>
>>> However, when the image booted, I had no serial console on ttyS0.  I
>>> checked /etc/inittab and noticed that the following line existed:
>>>
>>> S:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 ttyS3
>>>
>>> I changed the ttyS3 to ttyS0 and then I have a serial console on the
>>> next reboot.  So it appears the override in the .conf file is not
>>> working.  Also I only have the console from getty, and not the kernel
>>> logging console.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a solution??
>>>
>>> If this is considered a bug I can put it on bugzilla.
>> Lets make sure your environment is what we expect. Please provide the
>> output of:
>>
>> $ bitbake core-image-minimal -e | grep SERIAL_CONSOLE=
>>
>> If it is not "115200 ttyS0" then it is getting overwritten somewhere
>> either in your config, or possibly by an inappropriate selection of an
>> assignment operator (=, ?=, etc.) in edison.
> okay now I'm confused.  while the cedartrail.conf file has the following:
> SYSLINUX_OPTS = "serial 3 115200"
> SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS3"
> APPEND += "console=ttyS3,115200 console=tty3"
>

> The output of the bitbake command you suggested above gives:
> jim@ubuntu-x64:~/poky/build$ bitbake core-image-minimal -e | grep
> SERIAL_CONSOLE=
>
> # SERIAL_CONSOLE=115200 ttyS0
> SERIAL_CONSOLE="115200 ttyS0"
> jim@ubuntu-x64:~/poky/build$
>
> So is the bitbake command showing the results before the cedartrail.conf
> options take affect??

variable assignments can be tricky, and are not the easiest things to
track down. I suggest looking through your configured layers and looking
for all the SERIAL_CONSOLE assignments using ttyS3 and ttyS0 and see if
you can determine what is overriding your cedartrail.conf setting.

--

@ 2012-05-31 19:43     ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2012-05-31 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: yocto

On 05/31/2012 12:32 PM, jfabernathy wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 02:18 PM, Bodke, Kishore K wrote:

Ah yes, this rebuild is a bit frustrating. I believe it is the
task_core* tasks you need to rebuild. bitbake -u depexp -g
core-image-base (whatever your image is) will allow you to view which
task_ tasks it is building, try cleansstate'ing those and rebuilding the
image.

--
Darren

@ 2012-06-01 15:45       ` jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-06-01 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart; +Cc: yocto

On 05/31/2012 03:41 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 05/31/2012 11:54 AM, jfabernathy wrote:

>>> Lets make sure your environment is what we expect. Please provide the
>>> output of:
>>>
>>> $ bitbake core-image-minimal -e | grep SERIAL_CONSOLE=
>>>
>>> If it is not "115200 ttyS0" then it is getting overwritten somewhere
>>> either in your config, or possibly by an inappropriate selection of an
>>> assignment operator (=, ?=, etc.) in edison.
>> okay now I'm confused.  while the cedartrail.conf file has the following:
>> SYSLINUX_OPTS = "serial 3 115200"
>> SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS3"
>> APPEND += "console=ttyS3,115200 console=tty3"
>>

>> The output of the bitbake command you suggested above gives:
>> jim@ubuntu-x64:~/poky/build$ bitbake core-image-minimal -e | grep
>> SERIAL_CONSOLE=
>>
>> # SERIAL_CONSOLE=115200 ttyS0
>> SERIAL_CONSOLE="115200 ttyS0"
>> jim@ubuntu-x64:~/poky/build$
>>
>> So is the bitbake command showing the results before the cedartrail.conf
>> options take affect??
> variable assignments can be tricky, and are not the easiest things to
> track down. I suggest looking through your configured layers and looking
> for all the SERIAL_CONSOLE assignments using ttyS3 and ttyS0 and see if
> you can determine what is overriding your cedartrail.conf setting.

What I found out is the only variable that matters for login console in
my situation is SERIAL_CONSOLE because I have to use grub and the boot
from hard drive method because my image can't be put on a USB Flash for
some reason.  So I manually have to edit the grub.cfg file as documented
on the wiki "How Do I" section of putting Yocto on a hard drive.  Adding
console=ttyS0,115200 on the linux statement takes care of the boot console.

So the question is has there been any thought about automating the
choice of boot loader and the parameters that are needed or optional?
In the case of meta-cedartrail, the cedartrail.conf assumes syslinux is
the boot loader. When I could use a USB Flash key, creating a boot
device was a trivial dd statement.  Because I have to use a hard drive
now, I have to do a number of manual steps.  Or is there a way to create
a boot-able hard drive with syslinux so the cedartrail.conf parameters
are all that is needed to adjust?

@ 2012-06-01 17:01         ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2012-06-01 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 08:45 AM, jfabernathy wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 03:41 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

>>> okay now I'm confused.  while the cedartrail.conf file has the following:
>>> SYSLINUX_OPTS = "serial 3 115200"
>>> SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS3"
>>> APPEND += "console=ttyS3,115200 console=tty3"
>>>

>>> The output of the bitbake command you suggested above gives:
>>> jim@ubuntu-x64:~/poky/build$ bitbake core-image-minimal -e | grep
>>> SERIAL_CONSOLE=
>>>
>>> # SERIAL_CONSOLE=115200 ttyS0
>>> SERIAL_CONSOLE="115200 ttyS0"
>>> jim@ubuntu-x64:~/poky/build$
>>>
>>> So is the bitbake command showing the results before the cedartrail.conf
>>> options take affect??
>> variable assignments can be tricky, and are not the easiest things to
>> track down. I suggest looking through your configured layers and looking
>> for all the SERIAL_CONSOLE assignments using ttyS3 and ttyS0 and see if
>> you can determine what is overriding your cedartrail.conf setting.
>>
> What I found out is the only variable that matters for login console in
> my situation is SERIAL_CONSOLE because I have to use grub and the boot
> from hard drive method because my image can't be put on a USB Flash for
> some reason.  So I manually have to edit the grub.cfg file as documented
> on the wiki "How Do I" section of putting Yocto on a hard drive.  Adding
> console=ttyS0,115200 on the linux statement takes care of the boot console.

I believe this is a manual process currently. Please open an enhancement
in bugzilla for your specific situation and I'll incporporate into the
larger boot process and image revamp we're doing for 1.3.

> So the question is has there been any thought about automating the
> choice of boot loader and the parameters that are needed or optional?
> In the case of meta-cedartrail, the cedartrail.conf assumes syslinux is
> the boot loader. When I could use a USB Flash key, creating a boot
> device was a trivial dd statement.  Because I have to use a hard drive
> now, I have to do a number of manual steps.  Or is there a way to create
> a boot-able hard drive with syslinux so the cedartrail.conf parameters
> are all that is needed to adjust?

This is all good feedback to consider as we work through making more
universally bootable images. This is becoming a hot topic as people are
using Yocto in more and more situations and as things like EFI become
more commonplace.

There is no reason you can't just dd (have a look at
scripts/contrib/ddimage) the image to a hard disk instead of a usb
stick. You may need a USB to SATA adapter for your host (this is what I
use). If you have a USB port, you could just use the install option.

The integration between the boot loader options is something that needs
work. At some point I hope to replace GRUB with syslinux in all possible
situations in order simplify the option handling and present a
consistent boot interface between live images, iso limages, and disk images.

--

@ 2012-06-01 17:39           ` jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-06-01 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 01:01 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 06/01/2012 08:45 AM, jfabernathy wrote:

>>> variable assignments can be tricky, and are not the easiest things to
>>> track down. I suggest looking through your configured layers and looking
>>> for all the SERIAL_CONSOLE assignments using ttyS3 and ttyS0 and see if
>>> you can determine what is overriding your cedartrail.conf setting.
>>>
>> What I found out is the only variable that matters for login console in
>> my situation is SERIAL_CONSOLE because I have to use grub and the boot
>> from hard drive method because my image can't be put on a USB Flash for
>> some reason.  So I manually have to edit the grub.cfg file as documented
>> on the wiki "How Do I" section of putting Yocto on a hard drive.  Adding
>> console=ttyS0,115200 on the linux statement takes care of the boot console.
> I believe this is a manual process currently. Please open an enhancement
> in bugzilla for your specific situation and I'll incporporate into the
> larger boot process and image revamp we're doing for 1.3.

I'll make the entry.
>> So the question is has there been any thought about automating the
>> choice of boot loader and the parameters that are needed or optional?
>> In the case of meta-cedartrail, the cedartrail.conf assumes syslinux is
>> the boot loader. When I could use a USB Flash key, creating a boot
>> device was a trivial dd statement.  Because I have to use a hard drive
>> now, I have to do a number of manual steps.  Or is there a way to create
>> a boot-able hard drive with syslinux so the cedartrail.conf parameters
>> are all that is needed to adjust?
> This is all good feedback to consider as we work through making more
> universally bootable images. This is becoming a hot topic as people are
> using Yocto in more and more situations and as things like EFI become
> more commonplace.
>
> There is no reason you can't just dd (have a look at
> scripts/contrib/ddimage) the image to a hard disk instead of a usb
> stick. You may need a USB to SATA adapter for your host (this is what I
> use). If you have a USB port, you could just use the install option.
This script does not eliminate the boot error I get with syslinux on USB
flash keys.  I noticed the script is not in edison but is in denzil, so
I got it there and tried to run it against an image created with
edison.  I still get the same boot error I get with dd, which is
understandable since that's what the script uses.  Not sure if this is a
size issue because my image is over a 1GB.  I'm guessing this this will
still fail on a hard drive with the dd'ing of the .hddimg, but I'll test
it anyway.

@ 2012-06-01 17:44             ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2012-06-01 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 10:39 AM, jfabernathy wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 01:01 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

>>> What I found out is the only variable that matters for login console in
>>> my situation is SERIAL_CONSOLE because I have to use grub and the boot
>>> from hard drive method because my image can't be put on a USB Flash for
>>> some reason.  So I manually have to edit the grub.cfg file as documented
>>> on the wiki "How Do I" section of putting Yocto on a hard drive.  Adding
>>> console=ttyS0,115200 on the linux statement takes care of the boot console.
>> I believe this is a manual process currently. Please open an enhancement
>> in bugzilla for your specific situation and I'll incporporate into the
>> larger boot process and image revamp we're doing for 1.3.
>>
> I'll make the entry.
>>> So the question is has there been any thought about automating the
>>> choice of boot loader and the parameters that are needed or optional?
>>> In the case of meta-cedartrail, the cedartrail.conf assumes syslinux is
>>> the boot loader. When I could use a USB Flash key, creating a boot
>>> device was a trivial dd statement.  Because I have to use a hard drive
>>> now, I have to do a number of manual steps.  Or is there a way to create
>>> a boot-able hard drive with syslinux so the cedartrail.conf parameters
>>> are all that is needed to adjust?
>> This is all good feedback to consider as we work through making more
>> universally bootable images. This is becoming a hot topic as people are
>> using Yocto in more and more situations and as things like EFI become
>> more commonplace.
>>
>> There is no reason you can't just dd (have a look at
>> scripts/contrib/ddimage) the image to a hard disk instead of a usb
>> stick. You may need a USB to SATA adapter for your host (this is what I
>> use). If you have a USB port, you could just use the install option.
> This script does not eliminate the boot error I get with syslinux on USB
> flash keys.  I noticed the script is not in edison but is in denzil, so
> I got it there and tried to run it against an image created with
> edison.  I still get the same boot error I get with dd, which is
> understandable since that's what the script uses.  Not sure if this is a
> size issue because my image is over a 1GB.  I'm guessing this this will
> still fail on a hard drive with the dd'ing of the .hddimg, but I'll test
> it anyway.

Sorry, ddimage wasn't meant to fix the issue, just as a slightly more
convenient/safe wrapper around dd.

I'm not familiar with the error you are seeing with the live image. Can
you point me to the thread or the bug?

--
Darren

@ 2012-06-01 17:53               ` jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-06-01 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 01:44 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 06/01/2012 10:39 AM, jfabernathy wrote:

>>> I believe this is a manual process currently. Please open an enhancement
>>> in bugzilla for your specific situation and I'll incporporate into the
>>> larger boot process and image revamp we're doing for 1.3.
>>>
>> I'll make the entry.
>>> This is all good feedback to consider as we work through making more
>>> universally bootable images. This is becoming a hot topic as people are
>>> using Yocto in more and more situations and as things like EFI become
>>> more commonplace.
>>>
>>> There is no reason you can't just dd (have a look at
>>> scripts/contrib/ddimage) the image to a hard disk instead of a usb
>>> stick. You may need a USB to SATA adapter for your host (this is what I
>>> use). If you have a USB port, you could just use the install option.
>> This script does not eliminate the boot error I get with syslinux on USB
>> flash keys.  I noticed the script is not in edison but is in denzil, so
>> I got it there and tried to run it against an image created with
>> edison.  I still get the same boot error I get with dd, which is
>> understandable since that's what the script uses.  Not sure if this is a
>> size issue because my image is over a 1GB.  I'm guessing this this will
>> still fail on a hard drive with the dd'ing of the .hddimg, but I'll test
>> it anyway.
> Sorry, ddimage wasn't meant to fix the issue, just as a slightly more
> convenient/safe wrapper around dd.
>
> I'm not familiar with the error you are seeing with the live image. Can
> you point me to the thread or the bug?
Well this boot error issue seems to be USB Key related because I just
did the ddimage script on a edison core-image-sato image using the
.hddimg file and it worked correctly on a hard drive.  This was a 1.2GB
image.  Now I'll have to add in the parameters that give you more free
disk space now that I'm testing with a real hard drive.

The readme in most of the x86 BSP directory in meta-intel talk about if
you get boot errors to:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdf bs=1M count=512

I have not found this to work.  Maybe it's a count size issue.  I always
use 512, but maybe it should be 4096 for a 4GB USB key.

Jim A

@ 2012-06-01 17:55                 ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2012-06-01 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 10:53 AM, jfabernathy wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 01:44 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

>>> I'll make the entry.

>>> This script does not eliminate the boot error I get with syslinux on USB
>>> flash keys.  I noticed the script is not in edison but is in denzil, so
>>> I got it there and tried to run it against an image created with
>>> edison.  I still get the same boot error I get with dd, which is
>>> understandable since that's what the script uses.  Not sure if this is a
>>> size issue because my image is over a 1GB.  I'm guessing this this will
>>> still fail on a hard drive with the dd'ing of the .hddimg, but I'll test
>>> it anyway.
>> Sorry, ddimage wasn't meant to fix the issue, just as a slightly more
>> convenient/safe wrapper around dd.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the error you are seeing with the live image. Can
>> you point me to the thread or the bug?

> Well this boot error issue seems to be USB Key related because I just
> did the ddimage script on a edison core-image-sato image using the
> .hddimg file and it worked correctly on a hard drive.  This was a 1.2GB
> image.  Now I'll have to add in the parameters that give you more free
> disk space now that I'm testing with a real hard drive.
>
> The readme in most of the x86 BSP directory in meta-intel talk about if
> you get boot errors to:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdf bs=1M count=512
>
> I have not found this to work.  Maybe it's a count size issue.  I always
> use 512, but maybe it should be 4096 for a 4GB USB key.

What is the boot error?

--

@ 2012-06-01 18:03       ` Bodke, Kishore K
From: Bodke, Kishore K @ 2012-06-01 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hart, Darren, jfabernathy; +Cc: yocto

I had to remove the above 3 lines from cedartrail.conf and
SERIAL_CONSOLE ?= "115200 ttyS0" line from conf/machine/include/ia32-base.inc
rebuild the image.
It is disabled now.

I edited grub and added back console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
Serial console got active, but I could not get the login prompt on serial console, only boot messages and serial console hangs after these messages.

EXT3-fs (loop0): recovery complete
EXT3-fs (loop0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
udev[469]: starting version 164
NET: Registered protocol family 10
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (16384 buckets, 65536 max)

Gfx desktop came up though with no issues.

Thanks
Kishore.

@ 2012-06-01 18:12         ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2012-06-01 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bodke, Kishore K; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 11:03 AM, Bodke, Kishore K wrote:

> [...]

Did you try with SERIAL_CONSOLE="" in cedartrail.conf ?

--

@ 2012-06-01 19:14                   ` jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-06-01 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 01:55 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 06/01/2012 10:53 AM, jfabernathy wrote:

>>> Sorry, ddimage wasn't meant to fix the issue, just as a slightly more
>>> convenient/safe wrapper around dd.
>>>
>>> I'm not familiar with the error you are seeing with the live image. Can
>>> you point me to the thread or the bug?
>> Well this boot error issue seems to be USB Key related because I just
>> did the ddimage script on a edison core-image-sato image using the
>> .hddimg file and it worked correctly on a hard drive.  This was a 1.2GB
>> image.  Now I'll have to add in the parameters that give you more free
>> disk space now that I'm testing with a real hard drive.
>>
>> The readme in most of the x86 BSP directory in meta-intel talk about if
>> you get boot errors to:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdf bs=1M count=512
>>
>> I have not found this to work.  Maybe it's a count size issue.  I always
>> use 512, but maybe it should be 4096 for a 4GB USB key.
>>
> What is the boot error?

SYSLINUX 4.03 2010-10-22 CHS Load error- Boot error

@ 2012-06-01 20:02                     ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2012-06-01 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 12:14 PM, jfabernathy wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 01:55 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

>>> Well this boot error issue seems to be USB Key related because I just
>>> did the ddimage script on a edison core-image-sato image using the
>>> .hddimg file and it worked correctly on a hard drive.  This was a 1.2GB
>>> image.  Now I'll have to add in the parameters that give you more free
>>> disk space now that I'm testing with a real hard drive.
>>>
>>> The readme in most of the x86 BSP directory in meta-intel talk about if
>>> you get boot errors to:
>>>
>>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdf bs=1M count=512
>>>
>>> I have not found this to work.  Maybe it's a count size issue.  I always
>>> use 512, but maybe it should be 4096 for a 4GB USB key.
>>>
>> What is the boot error?
>>
> SYSLINUX 4.03 2010-10-22 CHS Load error- Boot error
>
> Jim A

OK, I suggest following the instructions for creating a USBZIP format in
README.hardware. If that fails, this merits a bug. Regardless, as rework
the images for 1.3, we should be able to avoid the many many boot errors
like this that people have been reporting and we've been working around.

--

@ 2012-06-01 20:07                       ` jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-06-01 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 04:02 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 06/01/2012 12:14 PM, jfabernathy wrote:

>>> What is the boot error?
>>>
>> SYSLINUX 4.03 2010-10-22 CHS Load error- Boot error
>>
>> Jim A
> OK, I suggest following the instructions for creating a USBZIP format in
> README.hardware. If that fails, this merits a bug. Regardless, as rework
> the images for 1.3, we should be able to avoid the many many boot errors
> like this that people have been reporting and we've been working around.

I'll test the USBZIP method, but that has a many steps as the How Do I-
hard drive method.  I think we need a script like ddimage for USBZIP method.

* Re: meta-cedartrail - serial console
@ 2012-06-01 20:08                   ` jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-06-01 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 01:55 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 06/01/2012 10:53 AM, jfabernathy wrote:

>>> Sorry, ddimage wasn't meant to fix the issue, just as a slightly more
>>> convenient/safe wrapper around dd.
>>>
>>> I'm not familiar with the error you are seeing with the live image. Can
>>> you point me to the thread or the bug?
>> Well this boot error issue seems to be USB Key related because I just
>> did the ddimage script on a edison core-image-sato image using the
>> .hddimg file and it worked correctly on a hard drive.  This was a 1.2GB
>> image.  Now I'll have to add in the parameters that give you more free
>> disk space now that I'm testing with a real hard drive.
>>
>> The readme in most of the x86 BSP directory in meta-intel talk about if
>> you get boot errors to:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdf bs=1M count=512
>>
>> I have not found this to work.  Maybe it's a count size issue.  I always
>> use 512, but maybe it should be 4096 for a 4GB USB key.
>>
> What is the boot error?

I went back and did a clean test of this.  Goal was to not change files
in the meta-cedartrail BSP and just use local.conf to override changes.
1.  So I have a clean clone of poky git and checked out edison branch.
Also a new meta-intel tracking edison.
2.  in local.conf I overrode the default serial console:
     SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS3"  (in cedartrail.conf in machine
directory)

     SERIAL_CONSOLE_cedartrail = "115200 ttyS0"  (in local.conf)
3. bitbaked core-image-sato
4.  used ddimage script from master branch, edited for my blacklist, to
put core-image-sato-cedartrail.hddimg onto a SATA hard drive connect via
USB to SATA adapter.
5. boot hard drive on Marshalltown DN2800MT Cedartrail board.  Syslinux
and boot messages where still on HDMI monitor.  Once booted with GUI
working on HDMI monitor, I also have a serial login on COM1 port (ttyS0)
via minicom.

Next test is to see how to override the syslinux and kernel boot console
statements in cedartrail.conf by placing statements in local.conf.

@ 2012-06-01 20:10                         ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2012-06-01 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 01:07 PM, jfabernathy wrote:

>>> SYSLINUX 4.03 2010-10-22 CHS Load error- Boot error
>>>
>>> Jim A
>> OK, I suggest following the instructions for creating a USBZIP format in
>> README.hardware. If that fails, this merits a bug. Regardless, as rework
>> the images for 1.3, we should be able to avoid the many many boot errors
>> like this that people have been reporting and we've been working around.
>>
> I'll test the USBZIP method, but that has a many steps as the How Do I-
> hard drive method.  I think we need a script like ddimage for USBZIP method.

Attached. I've passed this out to a few people. Would people like to see
this in scripts/contrib?

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center
Yocto Project - Linux Kernel

[-- Attachment #2: mkzipimage.sh --]
[-- Type: application/x-shellscript, Size: 1416 bytes --]

* Re: meta-cedartrail - serial console
@ 2012-06-01 20:12                     ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2012-06-01 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 01:08 PM, jfabernathy wrote:

> Next test is to see how to override the syslinux and kernel boot console
> statements in cedartrail.conf by placing statements in local.conf.

SYSLINUX_OPTS

--

@ 2012-06-01 20:31                           ` jfabernathy
From: jfabernathy @ 2012-06-01 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 04:10 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

>>> OK, I suggest following the instructions for creating a USBZIP format in
>>> README.hardware. If that fails, this merits a bug. Regardless, as rework
>>> the images for 1.3, we should be able to avoid the many many boot errors
>>> like this that people have been reporting and we've been working around.
>>>
>> I'll test the USBZIP method, but that has a many steps as the How Do I-
>> hard drive method.  I think we need a script like ddimage for USBZIP method.
>>
> Attached. I've passed this out to a few people. Would people like to see
> this in scripts/contrib?

I think the script is great and should be in the contrib directory.  One
question about it.  on the instructions to remove and reinsert the usb
key, mine automounts on reinsertion.  Is that going to create a
problem?? What the script created booted, but it seemed odd that the
automount happened, and the script seems to mount in the /tmp dir.

* Re: meta-cedartrail - serial console
@ 2012-06-01 21:02           ` Bodke, Kishore K
From: Bodke, Kishore K @ 2012-06-01 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hart, Darren; +Cc: yocto

Yes. I tried this.  It is disabled.

I again added back in the grub.cfg, serial console hangs.

Thanks
Kishore.

@ 2012-06-01 21:16             ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2012-06-01 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bodke, Kishore K; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 02:02 PM, Bodke, Kishore K wrote:

> [...]

Meaning you do not have to modify ia32-base.inc?

> I again added back in the grub.cfg, serial console hangs.

Added what back in grub.cfg?

I thought you were disabling the serial port...

Where does the serial console hang? In grub? During boot? At the login
prompt?

--

@ 2012-06-01 21:19                             ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2012-06-01 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfabernathy; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 01:31 PM, jfabernathy wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 04:10 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

>>> I'll test the USBZIP method, but that has a many steps as the How Do I-
>>> hard drive method.  I think we need a script like ddimage for USBZIP method.
>>>
>> Attached. I've passed this out to a few people. Would people like to see
>> this in scripts/contrib?
>>
> I think the script is great and should be in the contrib directory.  One
> question about it.  on the instructions to remove and reinsert the usb
> key, mine automounts on reinsertion.  Is that going to create a
> problem?? What the script created booted, but it seemed odd that the
> automount happened, and the script seems to mount in the /tmp dir.

It should probably force an unmount in a few places. Care to write up a
patch?

--

@ 2012-06-02  0:51               ` Bodke, Kishore K
From: Bodke, Kishore K @ 2012-06-02  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hart, Darren; +Cc: yocto

I removed the  SERIAL_CONSOLE ?= "115200 ttyS0" from ia32-base.inc too.

>> I again added back in the grub.cfg, serial console hangs.
>
>Added what back in grub.cfg?

I added back console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 to the grub.cfg file and rebooted
to see if I can get the serial console back, but after below boot messages the serial
console hangs.

Freeing unused kernel memory: 496k freed
udev[77]: starting version 164
EXT3-fs: barriers not enabled
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs (loop0): using internal journal
EXT3-fs (loop0): recovery complete
EXT3-fs (loop0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
udev[487]: starting version 164
NET: Registered protocol family 10
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (16384 buckets, 65536 max)

>I thought you were disabling the serial port...

I wanted to enable and disable the serial console through grub.cfg file.

Thanks
Kishore.

@ 2012-06-04 16:32                 ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2012-06-04 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bodke, Kishore K; +Cc: yocto

On 06/01/2012 05:51 PM, Bodke, Kishore K wrote:

> [...]

You can control the kernel logging to the serial console, but not the
login prompt over the serial port, via grub.cfg. The serial login is
managed by /etc/inittab which is dictated by the SERIAL_CONSOLE variable.