* P2010 External HW IRQ number?
@ 2012-06-08 11:06 Joakim Tjernlund
From: Joakim Tjernlund @ 2012-06-08 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev

I have been trying to figure out what irq number to use for external IRQs for
the P2010. There are no HW IRQ numbers in the ref manual and I cannot find
any examples in the kernel either.
How do specify irq numbers in my dts for external IRQs?
What do I use with request_irq(?,....)?

 Jocke

* Re: P2010 External HW IRQ number?
@ 2012-06-08 19:23 ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2012-06-08 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Tjernlund; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

On 06/08/2012 06:06 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> I have been trying to figure out what irq number to use for external IRQs for
> the P2010. There are no HW IRQ numbers in the ref manual and I cannot find
> any examples in the kernel either.
> How do specify irq numbers in my dts for external IRQs?

See Documentation/devicetree/bindings/powerpc/fsl/mpic.txt

For external interrupts, the first cell is equal to the IRQ number.

For an example of specifying an external IRQ, see the RTC and PHY nodes
in various mpc85xx device trees (e.g. mpc8536ds.dtsi).

> What do I use with request_irq(?,....)?

You need a virtual IRQ number.  Typically this comes from
irq_of_parse_and_map().

-Scott

* Re: P2010 External HW IRQ number?
@ 2012-06-09  9:00   ` Joakim Tjernlund
From: Joakim Tjernlund @ 2012-06-09  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Wood; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

Scott Wood <scottwood@freescale.com> wrote on 2012/06/08 21:23:50:

> From: Scott Wood <scottwood@freescale.com>
> To: Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@transmode.se>,
> Cc: <linuxppc-dev@ozlabs.org>
> Date: 2012/06/08 21:25
> Subject: Re: P2010 External HW IRQ number?
>
> On 06/08/2012 06:06 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> >
> > I have been trying to figure out what irq number to use for external IRQs for
> > the P2010. There are no HW IRQ numbers in the ref manual and I cannot find
> > any examples in the kernel either.
> > How do specify irq numbers in my dts for external IRQs?
>
> See Documentation/devicetree/bindings/powerpc/fsl/mpic.txt

Ahh, now I see. however I must say that I didn't until I read this older version first:
 http://os1a.cs.columbia.edu/lxr/source/Documentation/powerpc/dts-bindings/fsl/mpic.txt?a=x86;v=2.6.34

@ 2012-06-11 15:12     ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2012-06-11 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Tjernlund; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

On 06/09/2012 04:00 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> Scott Wood <scottwood@freescale.com> wrote on 2012/06/08 21:23:50:
>
>> From: Scott Wood <scottwood@freescale.com>
>> To: Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@transmode.se>,
>> Cc: <linuxppc-dev@ozlabs.org>
>> Date: 2012/06/08 21:25
>> Subject: Re: P2010 External HW IRQ number?
>>
>> On 06/08/2012 06:06 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
>>>
>>> I have been trying to figure out what irq number to use for external IRQs for
>>> the P2010. There are no HW IRQ numbers in the ref manual and I cannot find
>>> any examples in the kernel either.
>>> How do specify irq numbers in my dts for external IRQs?
>>
>> See Documentation/devicetree/bindings/powerpc/fsl/mpic.txt
>
> Ahh, now I see. however I must say that I didn't until I read this older version first:
>  http://os1a.cs.columbia.edu/lxr/source/Documentation/powerpc/dts-bindings/fsl/mpic.txt?a=x86;v=2.6.34

Yeah, while the information is there in the new version, it's should be
more prominent and detailed for something that causes so much confusion.

-Scott