* [Buildroot] RFC: x11r7.7 patch series
@ 2012-06-18 12:55 Will Wagner
From: Will Wagner @ 2012-06-18 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

You can find my work on updating to x11r7.7 on gitorious at
https://gitorious.org/willw-buildroot/willw-buildroot/commits/remotes/gitorious/x11r7.7

There are a few parts to the patch series I am not sure about:
- I have deleted all packages not in the 7.7 release, this may remove
things people still use and feel should still be in buildroot
- I had a problem updating mesa3d. The newer versions rely on host
libxml2 with python support. There are a couple of patches to do this
but I don't particularly like these. If someone can come up with
something better then great.
- There was one package I couldn't compile xdriver_xf86-input-synaptics.
Didn't spend any time on trying to fix it though (I suspect broken in
current buildroot as well).

Regards
Will
Will Wagner                                     will_wagner at carallon.com
Development Manager                      Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7371 2032
Carallon Ltd, Studio G20, Shepherds Building, Rockley Rd, London W14 0DA

* [Buildroot] RFC: x11r7.7 patch series
@ 2012-06-18 14:21 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-06-18 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Le Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:55:02 +0100,
Will Wagner <will_wagner@carallon.com> a ?crit :

> You can find my work on updating to x11r7.7 on gitorious at
> https://gitorious.org/willw-buildroot/willw-buildroot/commits/remotes/gitorious/x11r7.7
>
> There are a few parts to the patch series I am not sure about:
> - I have deleted all packages not in the 7.7 release, this may remove
> things people still use and feel should still be in buildroot

Most likely if they have been removed upstream, they are unmaintained,
and we should remove them as well.

I've seen that a fair amount of packages are removed, but I haven't
seen any new package. Is this normal? No new components in 7.7 compared
to the older release we have in BR?

> - I had a problem updating mesa3d. The newer versions rely on host
> libxml2 with python support. There are a couple of patches to do this
> but I don't particularly like these. If someone can come up with
> something better then great.

Erk. I've seen what you've done, and even though is certainly the
easiest solution, I don't like it a lot. Until now, we have tried to
avoid the need for options on host packages...

Do you have some details on why the mesa3d package needs libxml2 with
python support?

> - There was one package I couldn't compile
> xdriver_xf86-input-synaptics. Didn't spend any time on trying to fix
> it though (I suspect broken in current buildroot as well).

Ok.

Regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] RFC: x11r7.7 patch series
@ 2012-06-18 17:22   ` Will Wagner
From: Will Wagner @ 2012-06-18 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 18/06/2012 15:21, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Le Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:55:02 +0100,
> Will Wagner<will_wagner@carallon.com>  a ?crit :
>
>> You can find my work on updating to x11r7.7 on gitorious at
>> https://gitorious.org/willw-buildroot/willw-buildroot/commits/remotes/gitorious/x11r7.7
>>
>> There are a few parts to the patch series I am not sure about:
>> - I have deleted all packages not in the 7.7 release, this may remove
>> things people still use and feel should still be in buildroot
>
> Most likely if they have been removed upstream, they are unmaintained,
> and we should remove them as well.
>
> I've seen that a fair amount of packages are removed, but I haven't
> seen any new package. Is this normal? No new components in 7.7 compared
> to the older release we have in BR?

I do not believe they have added any apps since 7.5

I used this link http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/src/ and made sure
that every package listed there was built in buildroot.

>> - I had a problem updating mesa3d. The newer versions rely on host
>> libxml2 with python support. There are a couple of patches to do this
>> but I don't particularly like these. If someone can come up with
>> something better then great.
>
> Erk. I've seen what you've done, and even though is certainly the
> easiest solution, I don't like it a lot. Until now, we have tried to
> avoid the need for options on host packages...
>
> Do you have some details on why the mesa3d package needs libxml2 with
> python support?

I have not gone into too much detail, however it seems like the build
process auto generates some part of the code from a python script (See
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/src/mesa/main/APIspec.py)

I could not find any config option to not regenerate this and instead
use a prebuilt one, but perhaps I wasn't looking in the right place.

Will Wagner                                     will_wagner at carallon.com

@ 2012-06-18 19:42     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-06-18 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Le Mon, 18 Jun 2012 18:22:23 +0100,
Will Wagner <will_wagner@carallon.com> a ?crit :

> > Most likely if they have been removed upstream, they are
> > unmaintained, and we should remove them as well.
> >
> > I've seen that a fair amount of packages are removed, but I haven't
> > seen any new package. Is this normal? No new components in 7.7
> > compared to the older release we have in BR?
>
> I do not believe they have added any apps since 7.5

Ok.

> I used this link http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/src/ and made sure
> that every package listed there was built in buildroot.

Great.

> >> - I had a problem updating mesa3d. The newer versions rely on host
> >> libxml2 with python support. There are a couple of patches to do
> >> this but I don't particularly like these. If someone can come up
> >> with something better then great.
> >
> > Erk. I've seen what you've done, and even though is certainly the
> > easiest solution, I don't like it a lot. Until now, we have tried to
> > avoid the need for options on host packages...
> >
> > Do you have some details on why the mesa3d package needs libxml2
> > with python support?
>
> I have not gone into too much detail, however it seems like the build
> process auto generates some part of the code from a python script
> (See
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/src/mesa/main/APIspec.py)
>
> I could not find any config option to not regenerate this and instead
> use a prebuilt one, but perhaps I wasn't looking in the right place.

Argh, another X11 package (xcb) also needs XML support in Python, but it
needs expat support, so we have added support for expat in the host
python sometime ago. It's really a shame that another part of X11
requires a different XML library in Python :-(

Thomas
--

@ 2012-12-23 13:26 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-12-23 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Will Wagner,

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:55:02 +0100, Will Wagner wrote:
> You can find my work on updating to x11r7.7 on gitorious at
> https://gitorious.org/willw-buildroot/willw-buildroot/commits/remotes/gitorious/x11r7.7
>
> There are a few parts to the patch series I am not sure about:
> - I have deleted all packages not in the 7.7 release, this may remove
> things people still use and feel should still be in buildroot
> - I had a problem updating mesa3d. The newer versions rely on host
> libxml2 with python support. There are a couple of patches to do this
> but I don't particularly like these. If someone can come up with
> something better then great.
> - There was one package I couldn't compile
> xdriver_xf86-input-synaptics. Didn't spend any time on trying to fix
> it though (I suspect broken in current buildroot as well).

What is the status of this work? Do you plan to submit it?

Thanks!

Thomas