* dheitmueller/cx23885_fixes.git and mygica x8507
@ 2012-06-26 18:07 Alfredo Jesús Delaiti
From: Alfredo Jesús Delaiti @ 2012-06-26 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media; +Cc: Devin Heitmueller

Hi all

I tried the patches made ​​by Devin Heitmueller, and returned soundto
the plate mygica X8507.
Has not corrected the green band that appears on the left side and
shrinks the image by changing a little the aspect ratio, compresses a
bit horizontally. With kernel versions 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 that did not happen.

Thanks

Alfredo

--
Dona tu voz
http://www.voxforge.org/es

* Re: dheitmueller/cx23885_fixes.git and mygica x8507
@ 2012-06-26 18:13 ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2012-06-26 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfredo Jesús Delaiti; +Cc: linux-media

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Alfredo Jesús Delaiti
<alfredodelaiti@netscape.net> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I tried the patches made by Devin Heitmueller, and returned soundto the
> plate mygica X8507.
> Has not corrected the green band that appears on the left side and shrinks
> the image by changing a little the aspect ratio, compresses a bit
> horizontally. With kernel versions 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 that did not happen.

Hello Alfredo,

Thanks for testing.  Glad to hear you're having some success with
those patches.  A few questions about your specific board (since I
don't have the actual hardware):

1.  Which cx2388x based chip does it have?  cx23885?  cx23887?  cx23888?
2.  Specifically which video standard are you using?  NTSC?  PAL-BG?  PAL-DK?
3.  What input are you capturing on?  Tuner?  Composite?  S-video?
4.  Can you provide a screenshot showing the problem?
5.  Are you capturing raw video, or using MPEG encoder (assuming your
board has a cx23417)?

My guess is this is some sort of problem with the video standard
selection.  All of my testing thus far has been with NTSC-M, so I
would guess there is probably some general regression in PAL or SECAM
support (which should be pretty easy to fix once I have the answers to
the above questions).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: dheitmueller/cx23885_fixes.git and mygica x8507
@ 2012-06-27  3:40   ` Alfredo Jesús Delaiti
From: Alfredo Jesús Delaiti @ 2012-06-27  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Heitmueller; +Cc: linux-media

Hika Devin

El 26/06/12 15:13, Devin Heitmueller escribió:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Alfredo Jesús Delaiti
> <alfredodelaiti@netscape.net> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I tried the patches made by Devin Heitmueller, and returned soundto the
>> plate mygica X8507.
>> Has not corrected the green band that appears on the left side and shrinks
>> the image by changing a little the aspect ratio, compresses a bit
>> horizontally. With kernel versions 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 that did not happen.
> Hello Alfredo,
>
> Thanks for testing.  Glad to hear you're having some success with
> those patches.  A few questions about your specific board (since I
> don't have the actual hardware):
>
> 1.  Which cx2388x based chip does it have?  cx23885?  cx23887?  cx23888?

CX23885
> 2.  Specifically which video standard are you using?  NTSC?  PAL-BG?  PAL-DK?
PAL-Nc and NTSC (ntsc is fine at 765 pixels)
> 3.  What input are you capturing on?  Tuner?  Composite?  S-video?
Tuner
> 4.  Can you provide a screenshot showing the problem?
Yes, but read below
> 5.  Are you capturing raw video, or using MPEG encoder (assuming your
> board has a cx23417)?
Raw video, not have a cx23417

> My guess is this is some sort of problem with the video standard
> selection.  All of my testing thus far has been with NTSC-M, so I
> would guess there is probably some general regression in PAL or SECAM
> support (which should be pretty easy to fix once I have the answers to
> the above questions).
>
> Devin

The problem was that tvtime was set to 768, by passing a resolution to
720 was solved. Sorry for not having tried before.
With a resolution of 720 pixels the image looks good.
My sincere apologies and thanks.

Alfredo

--

@ 2012-06-27  4:52     ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2012-06-27  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfredo Jesús Delaiti; +Cc: linux-media

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Alfredo Jesús Delaiti
<alfredodelaiti@netscape.net> wrote:
> The problem was that tvtime was set to 768, by passing a resolution to 720
> was solved. Sorry for not having tried before.
> With a resolution of 720 pixels the image looks good.
> My sincere apologies and thanks.

I'll have to check if that's a driver bug or not.  The way the logic
is supposed to work is the application is supposed to propose a size,
and if the driver concludes the size is unacceptable it should return
the size that it intends to actually operate at.  The application is
expected to read the resulting size from the driver and adjust
accordingly.

Hence, either:

1.  the driver is saying "ok" to 768 and then tvtime receives green
video from the driver.
2.  the driver properly returns 720 when asked for 768, but tvtime
doesn't check for the adjusted size.

Scenario #1 is a driver bug, and scenario #2 is a tvtime bug.

Devin

--

@ 2012-06-27 18:54       ` Alfredo Jesús Delaiti
From: Alfredo Jesús Delaiti @ 2012-06-27 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media; +Cc: Devin Heitmueller

Hi

El 27/06/12 01:52, Devin Heitmueller escribió:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Alfredo Jesús Delaiti
> <alfredodelaiti@netscape.net> wrote:
>> The problem was that tvtime was set to 768, by passing a resolution to 720
>> was solved. Sorry for not having tried before.
>> With a resolution of 720 pixels the image looks good.
>> My sincere apologies and thanks.
> I'll have to check if that's a driver bug or not.  The way the logic
> is supposed to work is the application is supposed to propose a size,
> and if the driver concludes the size is unacceptable it should return
> the size that it intends to actually operate at.  The application is
> expected to read the resulting size from the driver and adjust
> accordingly.
>
> Hence, either:
>
> 1.  the driver is saying "ok" to 768 and then tvtime receives green
> video from the driver.
> 2.  the driver properly returns 720 when asked for 768, but tvtime
> doesn't check for the adjusted size.
>
> Scenario #1 is a driver bug, and scenario #2 is a tvtime bug.
>
> Devin

What I can I do to know what is the problem?

I tried the following:

I have two cards, one FlyVideo 3000 that has no problems with TVTime to
change the resolution (no green line on the right side) and over the
X8507 has the problem.

With the X8507 card with the resolution set at 768 pixels, if I change
the TV standards NTSC, PAL-M, PAL-N, NTSC-JP no green line(Of course the
image is distorted). If change to Pal, Pal-Nc and Pal-60 shows the green
line. Always using TVTime.

Output of TVTime at 768 first and 720 below

alfredo@dhcppc1:/usr/share/man/es> tvtime -v --device=/dev/video1
Ejecutando tvtime 1.0.2.
Leyendo la configuración de /etc/tvtime/tvtime.xml
Leyendo la configuración de /home/alfredo/.tvtime/tvtime.xml
cpuinfo: CPU AMD Phenom(tm) 8450 Triple-Core Processor, family 15, model
2, stepping 3.
cpuinfo: CPU measured at 2104,519MHz.
tvtime: Cannot set priority to -10: Permiso denegado.
xcommon: Display :0, vendor The X.Org Foundation, vendor release 10903000
xfullscreen: Using XINERAMA for dual-head information.
xfullscreen: Pixels are square.
xfullscreen: Number of displays is 1.
xfullscreen: Head 0 at 0,0 with size 1920x1080.
xcommon: Have XTest, will use it to ping the screensaver.
xcommon: Pixel aspect ratio 1:1.
xcommon: Pixel aspect ratio 1:1.
xcommon: Window manager is KWin and is EWMH compliant.
xcommon: Using EWMH state fullscreen property.
xcommon: Using EWMH state above property.
xcommon: Using EWMH state below property.
xcommon: Pixel aspect ratio 1:1.
xcommon: Displaying in a 768x576 window inside 768x576 space.
xvoutput: Using XVIDEO adaptor 63: Radeon Textured Video.
speedycode: Using MMXEXT optimized functions.
station: Reading stationlist from /home/alfredo/.tvtime/stationlist.xml
videoinput: Using video4linux2 driver 'cx23885', card 'Mygica X8507'
(bus PCIe:0000:02:00.0).
videoinput: Version is 197635, capabilities 5010011.
videoinput: Maximum input width: 768 pixels.
tvtime: Sampling input at 768 pixels per scanline.
xcommon: Pixel aspect ratio 1:1.
xcommon: Displaying in a 768x576 window inside 768x576 space.
xcommon: Received a map, marking window as visible (58).
tvtime: Cleaning up.
Gracias por usar tvtime.

alfredo@dhcppc1:/usr/share/man/es> tvtime -v --device=/dev/video1
Ejecutando tvtime 1.0.2.
Leyendo la configuración de /etc/tvtime/tvtime.xml
Leyendo la configuración de /home/alfredo/.tvtime/tvtime.xml
cpuinfo: CPU AMD Phenom(tm) 8450 Triple-Core Processor, family 15, model
2, stepping 3.
cpuinfo: CPU measured at 2104,500MHz.
[...]
tvtime: Sampling input at 720 pixels per scanline.
xcommon: Pixel aspect ratio 1:1.
xcommon: Displaying in a 768x576 window inside 768x576 space.
xcommon: Received a map, marking window as visible (60).
tvtime: Cleaning up.
Gracias por usar tvtime.

Thank you very much for your help and time.

Alfredo

--
Dona tu voz
http://www.voxforge.org/es