* The native perl's path is not in PATH
@ 2012-06-29  9:36 Robert Yang
From: Robert Yang @ 2012-06-29  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

The native perl is installed to:

${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}/perl-native/perl

But this isn't in the PATH, so we can use the native perl
by the command "perl" or "#!/usr/bin/env perl".

I wonder why we install the perl to ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}/perl-native,
but not to ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}.

It would be good if we can add ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}/perl-native to the path
or install the native perl to ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}, I will send a patch
for it if you are ok with it.

--
Thanks

Robert

* Re: The native perl's path is not in PATH
@ 2012-06-29  9:39 ` Robert Yang
From: Robert Yang @ 2012-06-29  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 06/29/2012 05:36 PM, Robert Yang wrote:

> The native perl is installed to:
>
> ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}/perl-native/perl
>
> But this isn't in the PATH, so we can use the native perl

                Sorry, missed a "not" here: so we "can not" use the native perl ...

@ 2012-06-29 11:32 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2012-06-29 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 17:36 +0800, Robert Yang wrote:
> The native perl is installed to:
>
> ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}/perl-native/perl
>
> But this isn't in the PATH, so we can use the native perl
> by the command "perl" or "#!/usr/bin/env perl".
>
> I wonder why we install the perl to ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}/perl-native,
> but not to ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}.
>
> It would be good if we can add ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}/perl-native to the path
> or install the native perl to ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}, I will send a patch
> for it if you are ok with it.

No, this is very deliberately not in PATH by default. Please see the
mailing list archives and the original patches that implemented this to
understand why.

Such a patch will not be accepted.

What problem are you trying to fix?

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: The native perl's path is not in PATH
@ 2012-06-30  8:58   ` Robert Yang
From: Robert Yang @ 2012-06-30  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 06/29/2012 07:32 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 17:36 +0800, Robert Yang wrote:
>> The native perl is installed to:
>>
>> ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}/perl-native/perl
>>
>> But this isn't in the PATH, so we can use the native perl
>> by the command "perl" or "#!/usr/bin/env perl".
>>
>> I wonder why we install the perl to ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}/perl-native,
>> but not to ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}.
>>
>> It would be good if we can add ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}/perl-native to the path
>> or install the native perl to ${STAGING_BINDIR_NATIVE}, I will send a patch
>> for it if you are ok with it.
>
> No, this is very deliberately not in PATH by default. Please see the
> mailing list archives and the original patches that implemented this to
> understand why.
>
> Such a patch will not be accepted.
>
> What problem are you trying to fix?

Thanks, the problem is that when "#!/very/long/path/to/perl" in a perl
script, there would be an error "Bad interpreter: No such file or directory",
when the length of "#!/very/long/path/" is longer than 170 (or smaller), the
script which has this problem is the dpkg-scanpackages (and other dpkg-*
scripts, but they don't run when generate the rootfs of deb backend)) we can
use "#!/usr/bin/env perl" to fix this problem if the native perl is in the
PATH, and we can't use the host's perl since the host perl's @INC doesn't
contain the native perl's module which is needed by dpkg-scanpackages.

I think that I can use "/path/to/native-perl/perl dpkg-scanpackages"
to fix this problem since we can't add the native perl to the PATH.

// Robert