* Question regarding numbering conventions
@ 2012-07-02 17:49 Cipherboy
From: Cipherboy @ 2012-07-02 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

A question to the community of developers,

What is the numbering conventions for scripts set to run with update-grub2 in /etc/grub.d? Specifically, I created a script to detect isos and add them to the grub menu to select on boot which I want to commit back to the community. In the README, it says that 20_* is reserved for 3rd party scrips, memtest86+ being an example. Would this be the best place to put it, even though people could potentially have a dozens of live images, bumping other operating systems (Windows comes to mind) further down the list?

Thank you,
Alex Scheel

* Re: Question regarding numbering conventions
@ 2012-07-04  7:39 ` Arbiel Perlacremaz
From: Arbiel Perlacremaz @ 2012-07-04  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Hi

Personnaly, I'm using custom.cfg. This file is incorporated at the end
of grub's menu generation and you can

either generate additionnal lines at the end of the standard menu
or generate a brand new menu in using the configmenu command.

I then added a folder in the /boot/grub folder to hold all my scripts,
/boot/grub/greffons (this name stands for "addons" for english speaking
people)

So my custom.cfg file reads :

source ${prefix}/greffons/shunt.menu.cfg
source ${prefix}/greffons/iso.menu.cfg
source ${prefix}/greffons/config.menu.cfg

shunt.menu.cfg is used to boot directly with my prefered distribution
without menu or delay, or display the menu if I hold the control key
down during the boot process
iso.menu.cfg is used to boot from my iso files, preventing me from
burning CDs
config.menu.cfg is used to look for the various grub.cfg's and display a
menu to allow me to boot from the one I want

The updating of custom.cfg is dynamic as you need not run grub-mkconfig
to take the modifications into account.

Arbiel

@ 2012-07-03 20:18 John Page
From: John Page @ 2012-07-03 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)