* ALLOW_EMPTY versus ALLOW_EMPTY_${PN}? a couple clarifications
@ 2012-07-06 13:10 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-07-06 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

  just trying to clarify the gory details of the ALLOW_EMPTY setting.
first, across several .bb files, there is a mixture of these two:

ALLOW_EMPTY = "1"
ALLOW_EMPTY_${PN} = "1"

  what's the difference?  what does the first one represent if you're
not specific?  does that cover *all* generated packages?

  next, i assume there's no real value to hardcoding the package name,
as in:

./meta/recipes-multimedia/alsa/alsa-utils_1.0.25.bb:ALLOW_EMPTY_alsa-utils = "1"

(i assume the above could have just used the standard "_${PN}",
right?)

  i think that might be everything for now.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: ALLOW_EMPTY versus ALLOW_EMPTY_${PN}? a couple clarifications
@ 2012-07-06 14:18 ` Marcin Juszkiewicz
From: Marcin Juszkiewicz @ 2012-07-06 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

W dniu 06.07.2012 15:10, Robert P. J. Day pisze:

>   just trying to clarify the gory details of the ALLOW_EMPTY setting.
> first, across several .bb files, there is a mixture of these two:
>
> ALLOW_EMPTY = "1"
> ALLOW_EMPTY_${PN} = "1"
>
>   what's the difference?  what does the first one represent if you're
> not specific?  does that cover *all* generated packages?

Yes, first means "all packages may be empty"

>   next, i assume there's no real value to hardcoding the package name,
> as in:
>
> ./meta/recipes-multimedia/alsa/alsa-utils_1.0.25.bb:ALLOW_EMPTY_alsa-utils = "1"
>
> (i assume the above could have just used the standard "_${PN}",
> right?)

${PN} should be in this case.

* Re: ALLOW_EMPTY versus ALLOW_EMPTY_${PN}? a couple clarifications
@ 2012-07-06 16:51   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-07-06 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:

> W dniu 06.07.2012 15:10, Robert P. J. Day pisze:
> >
> >   just trying to clarify the gory details of the ALLOW_EMPTY setting.
> > first, across several .bb files, there is a mixture of these two:
> >
> > ALLOW_EMPTY = "1"
> > ALLOW_EMPTY_${PN} = "1"
> >
> >   what's the difference?  what does the first one represent if you're
> > not specific?  does that cover *all* generated packages?
>
> Yes, first means "all packages may be empty"

  and just to be clear, that means not just the default packages
(regular, -dev, -doc, etc.) but all additional packages that might be
defined for that recipe?

> >   next, i assume there's no real value to hardcoding the package name,
> > as in:
> >
> > ./meta/recipes-multimedia/alsa/alsa-utils_1.0.25.bb:ALLOW_EMPTY_alsa-utils = "1"
> >
> > (i assume the above could have just used the standard "_${PN}",
> > right?)
>
> ${PN} should be in this case.

  i thought so, just wanted to be sure.  i'm collecting all these
oddities i run across and am compiling my version of an OE "style
guide", which will contain pedantic observations like:

* don't hard-code a package name if you can use ${PN} instead

and

* there's no point setting ${PR} to "r0" since that's the default

  little things like that.

@ 2013-03-03 15:56 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2013-03-03 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 09:10 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   just trying to clarify the gory details of the ALLOW_EMPTY setting.
> first, across several .bb files, there is a mixture of these two:
>
> ALLOW_EMPTY = "1"
> ALLOW_EMPTY_${PN} = "1"
>
>   what's the difference?  what does the first one represent if you're
> not specific?  does that cover *all* generated packages?

FWIW, a package name should generally be specified. I've just sent a
patch to OE-Core updating the various references.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: ALLOW_EMPTY versus ALLOW_EMPTY_${PN}? a couple clarifications
@ 2013-03-03 16:15   ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2013-03-03 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer