* [Qemu-devel] invoking monitor command without Ctrl+Alt+2
@ 2012-07-12 19:17 siddharth srivastava
From: siddharth srivastava @ 2012-07-12 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi

I am working on a virtualization project for which I am using
Qemu(0.13) + KVM.I am trying to get an automated switch to live
migration based on certain condition.
According to [1], it is possible to start migration via Qemu Monitor.
Since I am trying to invoke this via C code, is it possible to do so ?
Also is it possible to save ram snapshot without stopping the VM from
the code (probably by reusing some qemu code ?) Any pointers would
also be helpful.

[1]: http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Migration

Thanks
--
Regards
Siddharth Srivastava

* Re: [Qemu-devel] invoking monitor command without Ctrl+Alt+2
@ 2012-07-12 19:30 ` Eric Blake
       [not found]   ` <CAHuvxeU+Gdk5GW6NibgbOrp1ta+CPAduQcLAWt_CX+GAZ9LshA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eric Blake @ 2012-07-12 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: siddharth srivastava; +Cc: qemu-devel

On 07/12/2012 01:17 PM, siddharth srivastava wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am working on a virtualization project for which I am using
> Qemu(0.13) + KVM.

That's rather old; we're now at 1.1, and there have been some migration
bugs fixed in the meantime.

>I am trying to get an automated switch to live
> migration based on certain condition.
> According to [1], it is possible to start migration via Qemu Monitor.
> Since I am trying to invoke this via C code, is it possible to do so ?

Yes.  See libvirt if you want an example of C code that starts a
migration via the monitor.

> Also is it possible to save ram snapshot without stopping the VM from
> the code (probably by reusing some qemu code ?) Any pointers would
> also be helpful.

Again, you may be better served by reusing what libvirt already supports
on this front.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] invoking monitor command without Ctrl+Alt+2
       [not found]       ` <CAHuvxeVwL6J33t2s6SEwScEf44Ww4GZf2jwaZqtz2GOHN6Zukw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-07-13  4:14         ` siddharth srivastava
From: siddharth srivastava @ 2012-07-13  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Blake, qemu-devel

Hi

I also see that qemu 0.13 has live migration in inbuilt.Does it also
uses libvirt behind the scenes to create live ram snapshot ?

* Re: [Qemu-devel] invoking monitor command without Ctrl+Alt+2
@ 2012-07-13 12:07           ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2012-07-13 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: siddharth srivastava; +Cc: qemu-devel