From: Romeyn Prescott <romeyn@gmail.com>
To: linux-raid@vger.kernel.org
Subject: RAID 0 went down...
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:28:37 -0400	[thread overview]

I have a RH 9.0 box with a RAID 0.  I started getting some I/O errors
and when I rebooted the box md0 wouldn't mount.

/etc/raiddtab:
-----
raiddev             /dev/md0
raid-level                  0
nr-raid-disks               2
chunk-size                  64k
persistent-superblock       1
nr-spare-disks              0
    device          /dev/sdb1
    raid-disk     0
    device          /dev/sdc1
    raid-disk     1
-----

The problem appears to be with /dev/sdc, yet it passes all of the
manufacturer's (Seagate) diagnostics.  Here's what /var/log/dmesg
says:
-----
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
 [events: 00000095]
 [events: 00000031]
md: autorun ...
md: considering sdc1 ...
md:  adding sdc1 ...
md:  adding sdb1 ...
md: created md0
md: bind<sdb1,1>
md: bind<sdc1,2>
md: running: <sdc1><sdb1>
md: sdc1's event counter: 00000031
md: sdb1's event counter: 00000095
md: superblock update time inconsistency -- using the most recent one
md: freshest: sdb1
md: kicking non-fresh sdc1 from array!
md: unbind<sdc1,1>
md: export_rdev(sdc1)
md0: former device sdc1 is unavailable, removing from array!
md0: max total readahead window set to 512k
md0: 2 data-disks, max readahead per data-disk: 256k
md: md0, array needs 2 disks, has 1, aborting.
raid0: disks are not ordered, aborting!
md: pers->run() failed ...
md :do_md_run() returned -22
md: md0 stopped.
md: unbind<sdb1,0>
md: export_rdev(sdb1)
md: ... autorun DONE.
-----

Is there any way I can recover from this?  I've been googling my
brains out, but most of what I find relates to RAID1.  Restoring from
a backup is possible, but..."complicated" and is my last resort.

TIA,
...ROMeyn

--
http://www2.potsdam.edu/prescor/signat-url.htm