* Process identical patches in different tree
@ 2020-01-07  2:56 ` CK Hu
From: CK Hu @ 2020-01-07  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Airlie, Daniel Vetter, MatthiasBrugger, dri-devel, linux-mediatek

Hi, Dave, Daniel, Matthias:

In mediatek-drm-next-5.6 [1], I've cherry-pick 3 patches from
v5.5-next/soc [2] because some drm patches depend on these cmdq patches.
So these cmdq patches exist in both tree now. I want to know how to
process this case. I think we could choose one of below way:

1. Because these cmdq patches are identical in both tree, so each tree
could do its own upstream and the there would be nothing happen when
merge.
2. Let soc upstream first, and mediatek drm rebase on the latest
mainline then upstream.

Which one do you prefer?

[1]
https://github.com/ckhu-mediatek/linux.git-tags/commits/mediatek-drm-next-5.6
[2]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/matthias.bgg/linux.git/log/?h=v5.5-next/soc

Regards,
CK

From: CK Hu @ 2020-01-07  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Airlie, Daniel Vetter, MatthiasBrugger, dri-devel, linux-mediatek

[...]

* Re: Process identical patches in different tree
@ 2020-01-08 11:14   ` Matthias Brugger
From: Matthias Brugger @ 2020-01-08 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CK Hu, Dave Airlie, Daniel Vetter, dri-devel, linux-mediatek

Hi CK,

On 07/01/2020 03:56, CK Hu wrote:
> Hi, Dave, Daniel, Matthias:
>
> In mediatek-drm-next-5.6 [1], I've cherry-pick 3 patches from
> v5.5-next/soc [2] because some drm patches depend on these cmdq patches.
> So these cmdq patches exist in both tree now. I want to know how to
> process this case. I think we could choose one of below way:
>
> 1. Because these cmdq patches are identical in both tree, so each tree
> could do its own upstream and the there would be nothing happen when
> merge.
> 2. Let soc upstream first, and mediatek drm rebase on the latest
> mainline then upstream.
>
> Which one do you prefer?

What we would need is a stable branch with this commits that get merged by both
trees. If I understand correctly that otherwise the SHA of the commits would be
different and that would provoke merge conflicts.

We should not rely on one tree being merged before the other. AFAIK there is no
hard merge order between trees.

Regards,
Matthias

From: Matthias Brugger @ 2020-01-08 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CK Hu, Dave Airlie, Daniel Vetter, dri-devel, linux-mediatek

Hi CK,

@ 2020-01-08 12:05     ` Matthias Brugger
From: Matthias Brugger @ 2020-01-08 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CK Hu, Dave Airlie, Daniel Vetter, dri-devel, linux-mediatek

On 08/01/2020 12:14, Matthias Brugger wrote:
> Hi CK,
>
> On 07/01/2020 03:56, CK Hu wrote:
>> Hi, Dave, Daniel, Matthias:
>>
>> In mediatek-drm-next-5.6 [1], I've cherry-pick 3 patches from
>> v5.5-next/soc [2] because some drm patches depend on these cmdq patches.
>> So these cmdq patches exist in both tree now. I want to know how to
>> process this case. I think we could choose one of below way:
>>
>> 1. Because these cmdq patches are identical in both tree, so each tree
>> could do its own upstream and the there would be nothing happen when
>> merge.
>> 2. Let soc upstream first, and mediatek drm rebase on the latest
>> mainline then upstream.
>>
>> Which one do you prefer?
>>

> What we would need is a stable branch with this commits that get merged by both
> trees. If I understand correctly that otherwise the SHA of the commits would be
> different and that would provoke merge conflicts.
>
> We should not rely on one tree being merged before the other. AFAIK there is no
> hard merge order between trees.

I prepared a branch with the patches I think are relevant for you. Please
confirm that this is correct, merge the tree in yours and I'll do the same for
v5.5-next/soc

<paste>

The following changes since commit e42617b825f8073569da76dc4510bfa019b1c35a:

  Linux 5.5-rc1 (2019-12-08 14:57:55 -0800)

are available in the Git repository at:

  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/matthias.bgg/linux.git/
tags/v5.5-next-cmdq-stable

for you to fetch changes up to d412f18c9bc791d8951e903de9a68817e3098a6a:

  soc: mediatek: cmdq: add cmdq_dev_get_client_reg function (2020-01-08 12:59:57
+0100)

cmdq patches needed by drm driver to use cmdq interface

Bibby Hsieh (4):
      soc: mediatek: cmdq: remove OR opertaion from err return
      soc: mediatek: cmdq: define the instruction struct
      soc: mediatek: cmdq: add polling function
      soc: mediatek: cmdq: add cmdq_dev_get_client_reg function

 drivers/soc/mediatek/mtk-cmdq-helper.c   | 147
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------
 include/linux/mailbox/mtk-cmdq-mailbox.h |  11 ++++++
 include/linux/soc/mediatek/mtk-cmdq.h    |  53 +++++++++++++++++++++++++

</paste>

Regards,
Matthias

From: Matthias Brugger @ 2020-01-08 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CK Hu, Dave Airlie, Daniel Vetter, dri-devel, linux-mediatek

@ 2020-01-09  1:53       ` CK Hu
From: CK Hu @ 2020-01-09  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Brugger; +Cc: Daniel Vetter, linux-mediatek, Dave Airlie, dri-devel

Hi, Matthias:

On Wed, 2020-01-08 at 13:05 +0100, Matthias Brugger wrote:
> On 08/01/2020 12:14, Matthias Brugger wrote:
> > Hi CK,
> >
> > On 07/01/2020 03:56, CK Hu wrote:
> >> Hi, Dave, Daniel, Matthias:
> >>
> >> In mediatek-drm-next-5.6 [1], I've cherry-pick 3 patches from
> >> v5.5-next/soc [2] because some drm patches depend on these cmdq patches.
> >> So these cmdq patches exist in both tree now. I want to know how to
> >> process this case. I think we could choose one of below way:
> >>
> >> 1. Because these cmdq patches are identical in both tree, so each tree
> >> could do its own upstream and the there would be nothing happen when
> >> merge.
> >> 2. Let soc upstream first, and mediatek drm rebase on the latest
> >> mainline then upstream.
> >>
> >> Which one do you prefer?
> >>

> > What we would need is a stable branch with this commits that get merged by both
> > trees. If I understand correctly that otherwise the SHA of the commits would be
> > different and that would provoke merge conflicts.
> >
> > We should not rely on one tree being merged before the other. AFAIK there is no
> > hard merge order between trees.
> >

> I prepared a branch with the patches I think are relevant for you. Please
> confirm that this is correct, merge the tree in yours and I'll do the same for
> v5.5-next/soc
>
> <paste>
>
> The following changes since commit e42617b825f8073569da76dc4510bfa019b1c35a:
>
>   Linux 5.5-rc1 (2019-12-08 14:57:55 -0800)
>
> are available in the Git repository at:
>
>   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/matthias.bgg/linux.git/
> tags/v5.5-next-cmdq-stable
>
> for you to fetch changes up to d412f18c9bc791d8951e903de9a68817e3098a6a:
>
>   soc: mediatek: cmdq: add cmdq_dev_get_client_reg function (2020-01-08 12:59:57
> +0100)

> cmdq patches needed by drm driver to use cmdq interface

> Bibby Hsieh (4):
>       soc: mediatek: cmdq: remove OR opertaion from err return
>       soc: mediatek: cmdq: define the instruction struct
>       soc: mediatek: cmdq: add polling function
>       soc: mediatek: cmdq: add cmdq_dev_get_client_reg function
>
>  drivers/soc/mediatek/mtk-cmdq-helper.c   | 147
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------
>  include/linux/mailbox/mtk-cmdq-mailbox.h |  11 ++++++
>  include/linux/soc/mediatek/mtk-cmdq.h    |  53 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> </paste>

I've done in [1], is it what you expect?

From: CK Hu @ 2020-01-09  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Brugger; +Cc: Daniel Vetter, linux-mediatek, dri-devel

@ 2020-01-10  9:59         ` Matthias Brugger
From: Matthias Brugger @ 2020-01-10  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CK Hu; +Cc: Daniel Vetter, linux-mediatek, Dave Airlie, dri-devel

On 09/01/2020 02:53, CK Hu wrote:
> Hi, Matthias:
>
> On Wed, 2020-01-08 at 13:05 +0100, Matthias Brugger wrote:
>> On 08/01/2020 12:14, Matthias Brugger wrote:
>>> Hi CK,

>>> What we would need is a stable branch with this commits that get merged by both
>>> trees. If I understand correctly that otherwise the SHA of the commits would be
>>> different and that would provoke merge conflicts.
>>>
>>> We should not rely on one tree being merged before the other. AFAIK there is no
>>> hard merge order between trees.
>>>

>> I prepared a branch with the patches I think are relevant for you. Please
>> confirm that this is correct, merge the tree in yours and I'll do the same for
>> v5.5-next/soc
>>
>> <paste>
>>
>> The following changes since commit e42617b825f8073569da76dc4510bfa019b1c35a:
>>
>>   Linux 5.5-rc1 (2019-12-08 14:57:55 -0800)
>>
>> are available in the Git repository at:
>>
>>   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/matthias.bgg/linux.git/
>> tags/v5.5-next-cmdq-stable
>>
>> for you to fetch changes up to d412f18c9bc791d8951e903de9a68817e3098a6a:
>>
>>   soc: mediatek: cmdq: add cmdq_dev_get_client_reg function (2020-01-08 12:59:57
>> +0100)

>> cmdq patches needed by drm driver to use cmdq interface

>> Bibby Hsieh (4):
>>       soc: mediatek: cmdq: remove OR opertaion from err return
>>       soc: mediatek: cmdq: define the instruction struct
>>       soc: mediatek: cmdq: add polling function
>>       soc: mediatek: cmdq: add cmdq_dev_get_client_reg function
>>
>>  drivers/soc/mediatek/mtk-cmdq-helper.c   | 147
>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------
>>  include/linux/mailbox/mtk-cmdq-mailbox.h |  11 ++++++
>>  include/linux/soc/mediatek/mtk-cmdq.h    |  53 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>
>> </paste>
>>

> I've done in [1], is it what you expect?
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/ckhu-mediatek/linux.git-tags/commits/mediatek-drm-next-5.6

Looks good to me :)

Regards,