* [linux-lvm] re-activate lv after reboot ?
@ 2009-04-21 15:47 vu pham
From: vu pham @ 2009-04-21 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

My server uses iscsiadm to access a remote iscsi device. VG and LV are
created on that device and can be accessed just fine.
The problem is after reboot, the LVs are in inactive mode and I have to
run vgchange -a y to activate the VG on the iscsi device or to put that
command /etc/rcd./rc.local.

Is there any way to automatically to activate those LVs/VGs when the
iscsi device starts ?

Thanks,
Vu

* Re: [linux-lvm] re-activate lv after reboot ?
@ 2009-04-21 15:58 ` Eric Brunson
From: Eric Brunson @ 2009-04-21 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

On 04/21/2009 09:47 AM, vu pham wrote:
> My server uses iscsiadm to access a remote iscsi device. VG and LV are
> created on that device and can be accessed just fine.
> The problem is after reboot, the LVs are in inactive mode and I have
> to run vgchange -a y to activate the VG on the iscsi device or to put
> that command /etc/rcd./rc.local.

In RH and Fedora you need to updated your initrd image to have the
drivers for the disk access available before the real filesystems are
mounted.  You don't mention what distro you're using, so I'll avoid
boring you with details that may not be pertinent to your situation.

@ 2009-04-21 16:04   ` vu pham
From: vu pham @ 2009-04-21 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Eric Brunson wrote:
> On 04/21/2009 09:47 AM, vu pham wrote:
>> My server uses iscsiadm to access a remote iscsi device. VG and LV are
>> created on that device and can be accessed just fine.
>> The problem is after reboot, the LVs are in inactive mode and I have
>> to run vgchange -a y to activate the VG on the iscsi device or to put
>> that command /etc/rcd./rc.local.
>
> In RH and Fedora you need to updated your initrd image to have the
> drivers for the disk access available before the real filesystems are
> mounted.  You don't mention what distro you're using, so I'll avoid
> boring you with details that may not be pertinent to your situation.

Hi Eric, thanks for your reply. I am using RHEL5.3

Thanks again.

@ 2009-04-21 16:15     ` Eric Brunson
From: Eric Brunson @ 2009-04-21 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

On 04/21/2009 10:04 AM, vu pham wrote:
> Eric Brunson wrote:
>> On 04/21/2009 09:47 AM, vu pham wrote:
>>> My server uses iscsiadm to access a remote iscsi device. VG and LV
>>> are created on that device and can be accessed just fine.
>>> The problem is after reboot, the LVs are in inactive mode and I have
>>> to run vgchange -a y to activate the VG on the iscsi device or to
>>> put that command /etc/rcd./rc.local.
>>
>> In RH and Fedora you need to updated your initrd image to have the
>> drivers for the disk access available before the real filesystems are
>> mounted.  You don't mention what distro you're using, so I'll avoid
>> boring you with details that may not be pertinent to your situation.
>>

> Hi Eric, thanks for your reply. I am using RHEL5.3

In Fedora (and I assume RH) you can specify additional kernel modules to
include in the initrd image:

foxtrot(~)$ cat /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd
MODULES="usb-storage"

This will also "stick" across kernel upgrades as mkinitrd is part of the
kernel post-install process.

I don't know anything about iscsiadm, if it's simply a kernel module,
then you can add it as I added usb-storage, if it's a process that has
to be running, that may be more difficult to add to your boot process.

That's the extent of my expertise, so maybe someone familiar with
iscsiadm may chime in.

Hope that helps,
e.

* Re: [linux-lvm] re-activate lv after reboot ?
@ 2009-04-23  3:46 ` Edward Choi
From: Edward Choi @ 2009-04-23  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:47 PM, vu pham <vu@sivell.com> wrote:
> My server uses iscsiadm to access a remote iscsi device. VG and LV are
> created on that device and can be accessed just fine.
> The problem is after reboot, the LVs are in inactive mode and I have to run
> vgchange -a y to activate the VG on the iscsi device or to put that command
> /etc/rcd./rc.local.
>
> Is there any way to automatically to activate those LVs/VGs when the iscsi
> device starts ?

First make sure node.startup is set to automatic in /etc/iscsi/iscsi.conf. Then
you can edit /etc/fstab and mount your lv using _netdev.

Edward Choi.

* Re: [linux-lvm] re-activate lv after reboot ?
@ 2009-04-23 11:23   ` Vu Pham
From: Vu Pham @ 2009-04-23 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e, LVM general discussion and development

Edward Choi wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:47 PM, vu pham <vu@sivell.com> wrote:
>> My server uses iscsiadm to access a remote iscsi device. VG and LV are
>> created on that device and can be accessed just fine.
>> The problem is after reboot, the LVs are in inactive mode and I have to run
>> vgchange -a y to activate the VG on the iscsi device or to put that command
>> /etc/rcd./rc.local.
>>
>> Is there any way to automatically to activate those LVs/VGs when the iscsi
>> device starts ?
>>

> First make sure node.startup is set to automatic in /etc/iscsi/iscsi.conf. Then
> you can edit /etc/fstab and mount your lv using _netdev.

Hi Ed, thanks for your reply. I did not say clearly in my original post.
The server accesses this iscsi device as the back-end disk device for
some domUs so it never mounts the LVs as system files.

Vu