* XDC 2020 feedback and comments
@ 2020-09-21  8:03 ` Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez
From: Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez @ 2020-09-21  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: events-go0+a7rfsptAfugRpC6u6w,
	xorg-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	wayland-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	dri-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	mesa-dev-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	etnaviv-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	freedreno-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	intel-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW
  Cc: board-UUNKDCO5ciMA0k6STJqGzw

Hi all,

Huge thanks again to the entire team from Intel, for their great work
organizing XDC 2020, our first virtual conference!

As usual we're looking for feedback on both XDC itself, and the CFP
process and program selection. Both about what was great and should be
kept for next year's edition, and where there's room for improvement.

The board does keep some notes, for those interested in what we have
already:

- XDC notes for prospective organizers:
https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/RFP/

- CFP notes: https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/PapersCommittee/

If you want to send in your comments in private, please send them to
the X.org Foundation board: board-UUNKDCO5ciMA0k6STJqGzw@public.gmane.org

Cheers,

Sam

From: Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez @ 2020-09-21  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: events, xorg-devel, wayland-devel, dri-devel, mesa-dev, amd-gfx,
	etnaviv, freedreno, nouveau, intel-gfx
  Cc: board

Hi all,

Huge thanks again to the entire team from Intel, for their great work
organizing XDC 2020, our first virtual conference!

As usual we're looking for feedback on both XDC itself, and the CFP
process and program selection. Both about what was great and should be
kept for next year's edition, and where there's room for improvement.

The board does keep some notes, for those interested in what we have
already:

- XDC notes for prospective organizers:
https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/RFP/

- CFP notes: https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/PapersCommittee/

If you want to send in your comments in private, please send them to
the X.org Foundation board: board@foundation.x.org

Cheers,

Sam

* [Intel-gfx] XDC 2020 feedback and comments
@ 2020-09-21  8:03 ` Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez

From: Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez @ 2020-09-21  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: events, xorg-devel, wayland-devel, dri-devel, mesa-dev, amd-gfx,
	etnaviv, freedreno, nouveau, intel-gfx
  Cc: board

Hi all,

Huge thanks again to the entire team from Intel, for their great work
organizing XDC 2020, our first virtual conference!

As usual we're looking for feedback on both XDC itself, and the CFP
process and program selection. Both about what was great and should be
kept for next year's edition, and where there's room for improvement.

The board does keep some notes, for those interested in what we have
already:

- XDC notes for prospective organizers:
https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/RFP/

- CFP notes: https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/PapersCommittee/

If you want to send in your comments in private, please send them to
the X.org Foundation board: board@foundation.x.org

Cheers,

Sam

* Re: [Mesa-dev] XDC 2020 feedback and comments
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2020-09-21 14:28     ` Jason Ekstrand
From: Jason Ekstrand @ 2020-09-21 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez
  Cc: xorg-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	intel-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	etnaviv-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	wayland-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	board-UUNKDCO5ciMA0k6STJqGzw,
	dri-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	events-go0+a7rfsptAfugRpC6u6w,
	mesa-dev-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	freedreno-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

First off, I think you all did a fantastic job.  I felt that things
ran very smoothly and, as far as the talks themselves go, I think it
went almost as smoothly as an in-person XDC.  I'm really quite
impressed.  I do have a couple pieces of more nuanced feedback:

 1. I think we were maybe a bit too scared of overloading jitsi.
Having more people in the instance for questions might have made that
portion go better.  As it was, there was only one or two talks that
had any live questions.  That said, there are a few advantages to
having things funneled through IRC, the most obvious of which being
that people can ask their question mid-talk and have it handled at the
end instead of having to remember it for 20 minutes.

 2. I really miss the hallway track.  On Thursday, after the
conference, Bas, Connor, and I used jitsi to have a chat about
ray-tracing.  That was really fun and I wish I'd done something like
that every day of XDC.  Maybe it's my own fault for not setting up
said chats but I think it could have been made more accessible (I had
no idea how to fork off a jitsi instance) and/or encouraged somehow.

--Jason

From: Jason Ekstrand @ 2020-09-21 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez
  Cc: xorg-devel, nouveau, intel-gfx, etnaviv, amd-gfx, wayland-devel,
	board, dri-devel, events, mesa-dev, freedreno

<siglesias@igalia.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Huge thanks again to the entire team from Intel, for their great work
> organizing XDC 2020, our first virtual conference!
>
> As usual we're looking for feedback on both XDC itself, and the CFP
> process and program selection. Both about what was great and should be
> kept for next year's edition, and where there's room for improvement.
>
> The board does keep some notes, for those interested in what we have
> already:
>
> - XDC notes for prospective organizers:
> https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/RFP/
>
> - CFP notes: https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/PapersCommittee/
>
> If you want to send in your comments in private, please send them to
> the X.org Foundation board: board@foundation.x.org
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sam

* Re: [Intel-gfx] [Mesa-dev] XDC 2020 feedback and comments
@ 2020-09-21 14:28     ` Jason Ekstrand
From: Jason Ekstrand @ 2020-09-21 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez
  Cc: xorg-devel, nouveau, intel-gfx, etnaviv, amd-gfx, wayland-devel,

From: Jason Ekstrand @ 2020-09-21 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez
  Cc: xorg-devel, nouveau, intel-gfx, etnaviv, amd-gfx, wayland-devel,

<siglesias@igalia.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Huge thanks again to the entire team from Intel, for their great work
> organizing XDC 2020, our first virtual conference!
>
> As usual we're looking for feedback on both XDC itself, and the CFP
> process and program selection. Both about what was great and should be
> kept for next year's edition, and where there's room for improvement.
>
> The board does keep some notes, for those interested in what we have
> already:
>
> - XDC notes for prospective organizers:
> https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/RFP/
>
> - CFP notes: https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/PapersCommittee/
>
> If you want to send in your comments in private, please send them to
> the X.org Foundation board: board@foundation.x.org
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sam

* Re: XDC 2020 feedback and comments
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2020-09-21 16:30     ` DorotaC
From: DorotaC @ 2020-09-21 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez
  Cc: xorg-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	intel-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	etnaviv-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	wayland-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	board-UUNKDCO5ciMA0k6STJqGzw,
	dri-devel-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	events-go0+a7rfsptAfugRpC6u6w,
	mesa-dev-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW,
	freedreno-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 10:03:32 +0200
Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez <siglesias@igalia.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Huge thanks again to the entire team from Intel, for their great work
> organizing XDC 2020, our first virtual conference!
>
> As usual we're looking for feedback on both XDC itself, and the CFP
> process and program selection. Both about what was great and should be
> kept for next year's edition, and where there's room for improvement.
>
> The board does keep some notes, for those interested in what we have
> already:
>
> - XDC notes for prospective organizers:
> https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/RFP/
>
> - CFP notes: https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/PapersCommittee/
>
> If you want to send in your comments in private, please send them to
> the X.org Foundation board: board@foundation.x.org
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sam

Hi Sam,

I'd like to make a note about using some more privacy-friendly streaming platform.

When I tried to watch the streams, instead of showing the video, youtube presented me with a GDPR dialog.

While it was glitched and unskippable for me, just the fact that Google made it non-optional shows their disregard for my privacy (and, IMO, the letter of law, which mandates opt-in). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to evaluate the dialog's contents due to the glitch, but online reports suggest they are similarly ignorant. All in all, I only access youtube via youtube-dl any more, and that doesn't support streaming.

When attending Akademy 2 weeks ago, they had a setup based on BigBlueButton that worked well without that sort of issues.

Cheers,
Dorota

From: DorotaC @ 2020-09-21 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez
  Cc: xorg-devel, nouveau, intel-gfx, etnaviv, amd-gfx, wayland-devel,
	board, dri-devel, events, mesa-dev, freedreno

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 10:03:32 +0200
Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez <siglesias@igalia.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Huge thanks again to the entire team from Intel, for their great work
> organizing XDC 2020, our first virtual conference!
>
> As usual we're looking for feedback on both XDC itself, and the CFP
> process and program selection. Both about what was great and should be
> kept for next year's edition, and where there's room for improvement.
>
> The board does keep some notes, for those interested in what we have
> already:
>
> - XDC notes for prospective organizers:
> https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/RFP/
>
> - CFP notes: https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/PapersCommittee/
>
> If you want to send in your comments in private, please send them to
> the X.org Foundation board: board@foundation.x.org
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sam

Hi Sam,

I'd like to make a note about using some more privacy-friendly streaming platform.

When I tried to watch the streams, instead of showing the video, youtube presented me with a GDPR dialog.

While it was glitched and unskippable for me, just the fact that Google made it non-optional shows their disregard for my privacy (and, IMO, the letter of law, which mandates opt-in). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to evaluate the dialog's contents due to the glitch, but online reports suggest they are similarly ignorant. All in all, I only access youtube via youtube-dl any more, and that doesn't support streaming.

When attending Akademy 2 weeks ago, they had a setup based on BigBlueButton that worked well without that sort of issues.

Cheers,
Dorota

* Re: [Intel-gfx] XDC 2020 feedback and comments
@ 2020-09-21 16:30     ` DorotaC
From: DorotaC @ 2020-09-21 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez
  Cc: xorg-devel, nouveau, intel-gfx, etnaviv, amd-gfx, wayland-devel,