* soundmodem bit rot prevention
@ 2021-11-28 17:22 Roland Schwarz
From: Roland Schwarz @ 2021-11-28 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

To all who care,

I gave the soundmodem some love to save it from bit rot. I know the most
important problem is dependency on legacy gtk2. However, this is not
resolved yet. I am working on a solution.

I have fixed the warnings and some issues which were found by clang
tidy. I also have added systemd support and started improving the docs
by filling the README file with text.

Most importantly (for me) is the addition of BLR (baseline restoration)
to the 9600Bd modem. This addition allowed me to use a Yaesu FTM-400XD
with 9600Bd which simply did not work without BLR at all. I expect other
transceivers to benefit from this addition as well. I would be very
interested of your findings.

The code is also on gitlab near Thomas Sailers repo:

https://gitlab.com/packetradio/soundmodem

vy 73 de Roland, oe1rsa

   _  _  | Roland Schwarz
  |_)(_  |
  | \__) | mailto:roland.schwarz@blackspace.at
________| http://www.blackspace.at

* Re: soundmodem bit rot prevention
@ 2021-11-29 11:59 ` Dave Hibberd
From: Dave Hibberd @ 2021-11-29 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

Hey there,

Great work, thanks for taking this on and thank you for caring!

I possibly can't test BLR as I'm not wholly sure what it is and what use it would be on my test rigs (FT-7900, FT-100D) - what's the benefit of the feature?

I'm keeping track of this, when you get to GTK-3 relative stability, we can think about migrating the soundmodem debian package to the codebase :)

Cheers,

--
  Hibby
  MM0RFN

@ 2021-11-29 13:21   ` Roland Schwarz
From: Roland Schwarz @ 2021-11-29 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

On 29.11.21 at 12:59 Dave Hibberd wrote:
> ... what's the benefit of the feature?

The idea is to improve 9600 Bd operation for transceivers that have a
bad low frequency response. The BLR should not get in your way if the
transceiver already shows good performance.

Put it another way: You should see improvement on some equipment but no
degradation on any.

Roland

   _  _  | Roland Schwarz
  |_)(_  |