* How do I see all my partitions?
@ 2002-12-18  3:23 Chris
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris @ 2002-12-18  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Hi, I'm a new Red Hat user and want to mount
my winxp partition.  How do I display all the
partitions, Win/Dos/Linux, in one place so I can
give mount the correct partition name?

Thank you,
Chris

-

* Re: How do I see all my partitions?
@ 2002-12-18  6:21 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2002-12-18  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 10:23 PM 12/17/02 -0500, Chris wrote:
>Hi, I'm a new Red Hat user and want to mount
>my winxp partition.  How do I display all the
>partitions, Win/Dos/Linux, in one place so I can
>give mount the correct partition name?

To look at all the partitions on one physical disk, you use "fdisk" pointed
to the physical device for the drive. or example, if your drive is the IDE
primary master, use "fdisk /dev/hda". Once in fdisk, choose "p" to "print"
(actually, to display onscreen) the list of partitions and their associated
device names. Then "q" to quit without saving. You'll need to be root to
run fdisk.

If you have several hard disks, you need to do each separately, following
this pattern

         IDE primary master      /dev/hda
         IDE primary slave       /dev/hdb
         IDE secondary master    /dev/hdc
         IDE secondary slave     /dev/hdd

* Re: How do I see all my partitions?
@ 2002-12-18 10:47 ` axel
From: axel @ 2002-12-18 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris; +Cc: linux-newbie

Hi Chris!

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Chris wrote:

> my winxp partition.  How do I display all the
> partitions, Win/Dos/Linux, in one place so I can
> give mount the correct partition name?

You might already have heard of fdisk. It is a tool to partition your hard
disks and also in fact the easiest way to see what partition is of what
type and has what number/name.
To call fdisk for your primary IDE slave call "fdisk /dev/hda" and you
will get something like this:

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1      9688   4882720+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2   *      9689     48440  19531008    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda3         48441    158816  55629504   83  Linux

(For example for your second SCSI disk it would be "fdisk /dev/sdb")

Here you can see that my windows partition is /dev/hda2 is of type NTFS.
To mount it you'll need an empty directory (e.g. /windows or /mnt/win) and
the necessary file system support for you kernel (in my case NTFS).

Then "mount <device>  <mount directory>". In my case this looks like:
     "mount /dev/hda2 /windows"

Have fun,
Axel
-

* Thank you (Re: How do I see all my partitions?)
@ 2002-12-18 12:27   ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2002-12-18 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Thank you...
Now I feel like I should have known to look there 1st.   Duh.

Hopefully I won't be a  newbie too long...

Chris

At 11:47 AM Wednesday 12/18/2002, you wrote:
>Hi Chris!
>
>On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Chris wrote:
>
> > my winxp partition.  How do I display all the
> > partitions, Win/Dos/Linux, in one place so I can
> > give mount the correct partition name?
>
>You might already have heard of fdisk. It is a tool to partition your hard
>disks and also in fact the easiest way to see what partition is of what
>type and has what number/name.
>To call fdisk for your primary IDE slave call "fdisk /dev/hda" and you
>will get something like this:
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
>/dev/hda1             1      9688   4882720+  83  Linux
>/dev/hda2   *      9689     48440  19531008    7  HPFS/NTFS
>/dev/hda3         48441    158816  55629504   83  Linux
>
>(For example for your second SCSI disk it would be "fdisk /dev/sdb")
>
>Here you can see that my windows partition is /dev/hda2 is of type NTFS.
>To mount it you'll need an empty directory (e.g. /windows or /mnt/win) and
>the necessary file system support for you kernel (in my case NTFS).
>
>Then "mount <device>  <mount directory>". In my case this looks like:
>      "mount /dev/hda2 /windows"
>

>Have fun,
>Axel

-

* Re: How do I see all my partitions?
@ 2002-12-18 17:18   ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2002-12-18 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

There is a small error of detail in axel's reply. He writes:

>To call fdisk for your primary IDE slave call "fdisk /dev/hda" and you
>will get something like this:

/dev/hda is the IDE primary *master*, not the IDE primary *slave* (which is
/dev/hdb).

At 11:47 AM 12/18/02 +0100, axel@pearbough.net wrote:
[deleted]

* Re: How do I see all my partitions?
@ 2002-12-18 21:43     ` axel
From: axel @ 2002-12-18 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski; +Cc: linux-newbie

Hi Ray!

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> >To call fdisk for your primary IDE slave call "fdisk /dev/hda" and you
> >will get something like this:
>
> /dev/hda is the IDE primary *master*, not the IDE primary *slave* (which is
> /dev/hdb).

Ooops. Sorry. Was unintentionally! :)

Axel
-

* Re: How do I see all my partitions?
@ 2002-12-18 22:11 ` Chuck Gelm
From: Chuck Gelm @ 2002-12-18 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris; +Cc: linux-newbie

cat /var/log/messages|grep hd|grep "server kernel"|grep -v sectors

 Works for me.  However, I'm using a Slackware distribution.

HTH, Chuck

Chris wrote:

> Hi, I'm a new Red Hat user and want to mount
> my winxp partition.  How do I display all the
> partitions, Win/Dos/Linux, in one place so I can
> give mount the correct partition name?
>
> Thank you,
> Chris
>
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-newbie" in
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs
-

* Re: How do I see all my partitions?
@ 2002-12-23  2:26     ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2002-12-23  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

OK...now that I can see all my partitions, how do I mount an NTFS
partition?
When I try, I receive the error "fs now supported by kernel."
I'm running Red Hat 8.0 (sorry, no idea what the kernel version is - how
do I find this info?).

Can the kernel be patched to support NTFS?

Thank you,
Chris

At 09:18 AM Wednesday 12/18/2002, Ray Olszewski wrote:
>There is a small error of detail in axel's reply. He writes:
>
>>To call fdisk for your primary IDE slave call "fdisk /dev/hda" and you
>>will get something like this:
>
>/dev/hda is the IDE primary *master*, not the IDE primary *slave* (which
>is /dev/hdb).
>
>At 11:47 AM 12/18/02 +0100, axel@pearbough.net wrote:
>[deleted]
>

>--

-

* Re: How do I see all my partitions?
@ 2002-12-23  3:04       ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2002-12-23  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 09:26 PM 12/22/02 -0500, Chris wrote:
>OK...now that I can see all my partitions, how do I mount an NTFS
>partition?
>When I try, I receive the error "fs now supported by kernel."

I suspect it says "not" rather than "now". (Sorry to seem picky, and the
mistake is easy to spot here, but in troubleshooting, details matter, and a
seemling harmless mistake in reporting error messages can lead to the wrong
diagnosis.)

And I'm assuming your try consists of a command like "mount -t ntfs
/dev/hdXX /mnt/some_mount_point", with suitable choices for XX and
some_mount_point .If not, plase tell us the exact command you enter and the
exact error you get.

>I'm running Red Hat 8.0 (sorry, no idea what the kernel version is - how
>do I find this info?).

"uname -a" normally reports it.

>Can the kernel be patched to support NTFS?

Probably ... though it does depend on the kernel version, RH8 is unlikely
to use an old kernel by default. Recent kernels support read-only access to
NTFS filesystems. If yours has the ntfs.o moule compiled, you can add it
with "insmod ntfs" or (better) "modprobe ntfs". If it doesn't come with
that module, you'll need to compile or get a kernel that does have it
(either the module or actuallt compiled into the kernel).

* Re: How do I see all my partitions?
@ 2002-12-23  3:11       ` whitnl73
From: whitnl73 @ 2002-12-23  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: smarta55; +Cc: linux-newbie

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Chris wrote:

> OK...now that I can see all my partitions, how do I mount an NTFS
> partition?
> When I try, I receive the error "fs now supported by kernel."
> I'm running Red Hat 8.0 (sorry, no idea what the kernel version is - how
> do I find this info?).
>
> Can the kernel be patched to support NTFS?
>
> Thank you,
> Chris

Try /sbin/modprobe ntfs

a stock distro kernel may already have it.

Lawson
--
---oops---

* Re: How do I see all my partitions?
@ 2002-12-24  1:43         ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2002-12-24  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski, linux-newbie

Yep, I meant "not" not "now."  It was a tpyo.

As far as compiling a kernel goes, I don't believe I'm ready for that.  I'm
still at the
point of staring at the PC for 20 minutes, and banging away on the keyboard
for another
20 minutes, trying to accomplish something, before giving up and looking in
my "dummies" book.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

-