* Question about "find -exec"
@ 2002-07-18 15:24 Oliver Ob
From: Oliver Ob @ 2002-07-18 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lx Newbie List

I want to find and list all files with *.snm ending.
find /mnt/c/ -name *.snm -exec ls
does not work, the man page does tell me french fries.

What am I missing?

--
*º¤., ¸¸,.¤º*¨¨¨*¤        =Oliver@home=         *º¤., ¸¸,.¤º*¨¨*¤
I       http://www.bmw-roadster.de/Friends/Olli/olli.html       I
>>>  Telek0ma iBBMS - now back online +49.4504.TRSi1/TRSi2   <<<
-

* Re: Question about "find -exec"
@ 2002-07-19  5:52 ` James Mohr
From: James Mohr @ 2002-07-19  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lx Newbie List

On Thursday 18 July 2002 17:24, Oliver Ob wrote:
> I want to find and list all files with *.snm ending.
> find /mnt/c/ -name *.snm -exec ls
> does not work, the man page does tell me french fries.
>
> What am I missing?

You need to tell -exec which file to process. This is done with curly braces:

find /mnt/c/ -name *.snm -exec ls {} \;

However, without the -exec, your command will simply list the files anyway. I
am assuming that this is just an example, and you would want to do more than
just list the file name. You could exand this concept and use the curly
braces anywhere in the command. So, to move the files you find to another
directory you might have this:

find /mnt/c/ -name *.snm -exec mv {} /somewhere/else \;

Note that the \; tells the -exec that you are at the end of the command. For
details on using find with other commands, check this out:

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/cgi-bin/display.pl?32&0&0&0&3

Regards,

jimmo
--

---------------------------------------
"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your

* Re: Question about "find -exec"
@ 2002-07-19  9:16 ` szonyi calin
From: szonyi calin @ 2002-07-19  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Ob, Lx Newbie List

 --- Oliver Ob <ob_ok@gmx.net> a écrit : > I want to
find and list all files with *.snm ending.
> find /mnt/c/ -name *.snm -exec ls
> does not work, the man page does tell me french
> fries.
>
> What am I missing?

try
find /mnt/c/ -name *.snm -exec ls \; -print

(No warranty that it will work :-)) )

http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs

=====
--
The UNIX Hierarchy - Beginner
- insecure with the concept of a terminal

* Re: Question about "find -exec"
@ 2002-07-24  7:07   ` Mike Castle
From: Mike Castle @ 2002-07-24  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

In article <200207190752.38161.linux-newbie@jimmo.com>,
James Mohr  <linux-newbie@jimmo.com> wrote:
>You need to tell -exec which file to process. This is done with curly braces:
>
>find /mnt/c/ -name *.snm -exec ls {} \;
>
>However, without the -exec, your command will simply list the files anyway. I
>am assuming that this is just an example, and you would want to do more than
>just list the file name. You could exand this concept and use the curly

Also, you should realize that for each file processed, there is the
overhead of fork()/exec() calls.

You would probably find something like:

find /mnt/c -name '*.snm' | xargs -r ls -l

to be significantly faster.

If you expect that there will be any spaces involved, consider using
-print0/-0 in addition:

find /mnt/c -name '*.snm' -print0 | xargs -0 -r ls -l

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/
-

* Re: Question about "find -exec"
@ 2002-07-24 16:07     ` James Mohr
From: James Mohr @ 2002-07-24 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 09:07, Mike Castle wrote:
> In article <200207190752.38161.linux-newbie@jimmo.com>,
>
> James Mohr  <linux-newbie@jimmo.com> wrote:
> >You need to tell -exec which file to process. This is done with curly
> > braces:
> >
> >find /mnt/c/ -name *.snm -exec ls {} \;
> >
> >However, without the -exec, your command will simply list the files
> > anyway. I am assuming that this is just an example, and you would want to
> > do more than just list the file name. You could exand this concept and
> > use the curly
>
> Also, you should realize that for each file processed, there is the
> overhead of fork()/exec() calls.
>
> You would probably find something like:
>
> find /mnt/c -name '*.snm' | xargs -r ls -l
>
> to be significantly faster.
>
> If you expect that there will be any spaces involved, consider using
> -print0/-0 in addition:
>
> find /mnt/c -name '*.snm' -print0 | xargs -0 -r ls -l
>
> mrc

Valid point. However, I typically don't find it an issue unless you are
running the -exec on 10K files. If it takes 0.1 second with xargs and 1
second with -exec (which is 10 times as long), I don't see it is worth
arguing about.

However, it is **definately** worth mentioning and I have made a note to add
it to my Linux Tutorial.

Regards,

jimmo

--

---------------------------------------
"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your
character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others
thing you are." -- John Wooden

* Partitioning problem
@ 2002-07-24 21:24       ` Anshuman Rawat
From: Anshuman Rawat @ 2002-07-24 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Hi,
I want to have both WinXP and Linux (RHL7.3) on my system but am having
trouble with the partitions. My partition table (i dunno whether thats the
correct term) looks like this (as shown by linux installer ) -

                                Start   End        Size(MB)       Type
Mount point    Format
/dev/hda
    -Free                        1        1            8            Free
space
    -dev/hda1                 2        7            47          vfat
No
    -/dev/hda2                8        708        5499      NTFS
No
    -/dev/hda3               709     2432      13523    Extended
        -/dev/hda5           709     1413      5530      NTFS
No
        -/dev/hda6           1414   1419      47          ext2
/boot               Yes
        -/dev/hda7           1420   1453      267        swap
Yes
        -/dev/hda8           1454    2432     7697      ext2
/                       Yes

the error message i get is -> Boot partition may not meet booting
constraints for your architecture. Creation of boot disk is highly
encouraged.
The options I get is "modify partition" and "add anyway". If I proceed with
'add anyway' option installation is succesful but I dont get the option of
selecting the OS for booting the PC and the PC boots using WinXP.
I tried changing the /dev/hda1 partition to ext2 ,mount pt /boot. The
installation was succesful and so was the boot, but then the option of
starting with WinXP dissapeared. I could only boot with Linux
Can anyone help me out here?
btw I used Partition Magic from WinXP to partition the disc as I dont know
how to work around usinf fdisk in Linux.

-Anshu

-

* Re: Partitioning problem
@ 2002-07-25  6:22         ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2002-07-25  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anshuman Rawat, linux-newbie

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 21:24, Anshuman Rawat wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to have both WinXP and Linux (RHL7.3) on my system but am having
> trouble with the partitions. My partition table (i dunno whether thats the
> correct term) looks like this (as shown by linux installer ) -
>
>                                 Start   End        Size(MB)       Type
> Mount point    Format
> /dev/hda
>     -Free                        1        1            8            Free
> space
>     -dev/hda1                 2        7            47          vfat
> No
>     -/dev/hda2                8        708        5499      NTFS
> No
>     -/dev/hda3               709     2432      13523    Extended
>         -/dev/hda5           709     1413      5530      NTFS
> No
>         -/dev/hda6           1414   1419      47          ext2
> /boot               Yes
>         -/dev/hda7           1420   1453      267        swap
> Yes
>         -/dev/hda8           1454    2432     7697      ext2
> /                       Yes
>
> the error message i get is -> Boot partition may not meet booting
> constraints for your architecture. Creation of boot disk is highly
> encouraged.

Thats not an error message but a warning from the install process,
as you see lilo or grub was installed.

> The options I get is "modify partition" and "add anyway". If I proceed with
> 'add anyway' option installation is succesful but I dont get the option of
> selecting the OS for booting the PC and the PC boots using WinXP.
> I tried changing the /dev/hda1 partition to ext2 ,mount pt /boot. The
> installation was succesful and so was the boot, but then the option of
> starting with WinXP dissapeared. I could only boot with Linux
> Can anyone help me out here?
> btw I used Partition Magic from WinXP to partition the disc as I dont know
> how to work around usinf fdisk in Linux.

You need to change you lilo.conf file, or grub which ever you told redhat to
install.

I do not use grub so someone else will need to give you and example for grub
lilo can be told to boot linux as default, it may be that in /etc/lilo.conf a
line is presant
default = xxx
Simply change the xxx to the "name" stated in the linux portion lower down in
the file, or if no default = is present place the linux entry as the first
entry.
Save the file and run lilo with the -t option,
/sbin/lilo -t
If no errors are found you will see something like;

Added Linux *
Added dos
The boot sector and the map file have *NOT* been altered.

Now rerun lilo as is.
/sbin/lilo
reboot and linux is the default system.

Its all explained on my home page;

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/kernel.htm

> -Anshu
>

> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-newbie" in
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs

--
Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

-

* LI -lilo booting problem
@ 2002-07-25 21:20           ` Chuck Gelm
                               ` (3 more replies)
From: Chuck Gelm @ 2002-07-25 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Howdy, Y'all:

 Where can I find help with 'lilo'.
When I try to boot from hard disk, I get:

LI

 This happens with several hard disks, usually large ones of
8 gigabytes or larger. The drives are partitioned with
 partition 1 <= 1024 cylinders,
 partition 2 is some swap, and
 partition 3 is 'the rest'.
Partition 1 is '/' and contains the entire distribution
install (Slackware v8.0).

 I've read some help files and it mentions drive geometry
problems and the 1024 cylinder limit.  I usually keep
trying different hard drives until I get one that will
boot and then I make it /dev/hda.

The system boots fine from CD-ROM (Slackware8.0 Install)
or pre-install boot disk or post-install created lilo floppy.

:-|

Regards, Chuck
-

* No Boot Problem
@ 2002-07-26  1:38             ` Frank Roberts - SOTL
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Frank Roberts - SOTL @ 2002-07-26  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

partitionsucceededI hope you nice people can explain to me how to get out of
this situation.

I have a dual boot box - MS Windows 98 on hda and Linux RH6.3 on hdb.

Having problems with the Windows side (nothing new here) I decided to remove
both hda and hdb and install a third hard drive (hd3) and the use the
original restore disk to install windows on hd3.

First I had problems getting the restore disk to be acknowledged but on about
the 4th boot attempt I .

The first screen up said that the disk drive was unreadable and that i would
have to use FDisk to remove all partions. This I did and then rebooted the
box.

The box then refused to boot.

I then restored the box to its original configuration by reinstalling hda and
hdb and removing hd3. The systen still refused to boot.

I stuck Tomsrtd in and boot the box into Toms followed by a normal shut down.

I then stuck RH 7.3 install in and started an upgrade to see what would
happen. The box finally booted into RH after 5 or 6 tries.

I shut the upgrade down before the box upgrades keeping the original
configuration - hopefully.

Next I attempted an install of RH to see what the  table looked liked. Here I
received an error message that the partition table for hda the MS Windows
side was not readable. At that point I shut the box down keeping the original
configuration hopefully.

I again tried to boot the box normally. No Go.

Hopefully somebody has some ideas in how to boot this box.

Thanks

Frank

-

* Re: No Boot Problem
@ 2002-07-26  3:53               ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2002-07-26  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Roberts - SOTL, linux-newbie

As you can see below, your message came to the list in soewhat garbled form
-- with sentence fragments and bits that look like they are out of place.
So please forgive me if I have misinterpreted what you (intended to) say.

At 09:38 PM 7/25/02 -0400, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
>partitionsucceededI hope you nice people can explain to me how to get out of
>this situation.
>
>I have a dual boot box - MS Windows 98 on hda and Linux RH6.3 on hdb.
>
>Having problems with the Windows side (nothing new here) I decided to remove
>both hda and hdb and install a third hard drive (hd3) and the use the
>original restore disk to install windows on hd3.
>
>First I had problems getting the restore disk to be acknowledged but on about
>the 4th boot attempt I .
>
>The first screen up said that the disk drive was unreadable and that i would
>have to use FDisk to remove all partions. This I did and then rebooted the
>box.
>
>The box then refused to boot.

If I understand you correctly, up to this point, all your problems are with
Windows, not with Linux.

>I then restored the box to its original configuration by reinstalling hda and
>hdb and removing hd3. The systen still refused to boot.

At this point, a description of the failure mode would belp more than
"refused to boot".  Did LILO even begin to run? Did it display any messages
on teh screen?

>I stuck Tomsrtd in and boot the box into Toms followed by a normal shut down.
>
>I then stuck RH 7.3 install in and started an upgrade to see what would
>happen. The box finally booted into RH after 5 or 6 tries.

This sounds more and more like a hardware failure, perhaps a mobo problem.
The system as you described it has now had problems with a Windows boot
floppy, some hard disk bootloader (I surmise lilo), and syslinux (I believe
RH boot floppies use syslinux).

>I shut the upgrade down before the box upgrades keeping the original
>configuration - hopefully.
>
>Next I attempted an install of RH to see what the  table looked liked. Here I
>received an error message that the partition table for hda the MS Windows
>side was not readable. At that point I shut the box down keeping the original
>configuration hopefully.
>
>I again tried to boot the box normally. No Go.
>
>Hopefully somebody has some ideas in how to boot this box.

Boot it into what? You say it booted with Tomsrtbt. It's been awhile since
I used that, but doesn't it include a kernel with ide support and tools
like (Linux) fdisk? What do those tools tell you about the disks and their
partitions?

The difficulties you describe simply do not sound like Linux problems;
instead, they sound like hardware problems of some sort. A more complete
report of the details of the various failures (especially the LILO failure)
, and a description of the underlying hardware, might elicit more helpful

* Re: LI -lilo booting problem
@ 2002-07-26  6:10             ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2002-07-26  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Gelm, linux-newbie

On Thursday 25 July 2002 21:20, Chuck Gelm wrote:
> Howdy, Y'all:
>
>  Where can I find help with 'lilo'.

/usr/doc/lilo-21.7.5 (slackware-8.0)

> When I try to boot from hard disk, I get:
>
> LI

From the README of lilo

   LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
    loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
    installer.

>  This happens with several hard disks, usually large ones of
> 8 gigabytes or larger. The drives are partitioned with
>  partition 1 <= 1024 cylinders,
>  partition 2 is some swap, and
>  partition 3 is 'the rest'.
> Partition 1 is '/' and contains the entire distribution
> install (Slackware v8.0).
>
>  I've read some help files and it mentions drive geometry
> problems and the 1024 cylinder limit.  I usually keep
> trying different hard drives until I get one that will
> boot and then I make it /dev/hda.

I cant remember if the following concerns lilo-21.7.5 however
lilo does not have that > 1023 cyls limit anymore.

> The system boots fine from CD-ROM (Slackware8.0 Install)
> or pre-install boot disk or post-install created lilo floppy.

Then use the cdrom to boot mount /dev/hda1 somewhere, possably /mnt
You will need to link /mnt/etc/lilo.conf to /etc
ln -s /mnt/etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf

Make sure /mnt/etc/lilo.conf is correct and the image is in the correct place
then execute lilo with the -t(est) option, if all is ok then excute without
options.

> :-|
>
> Regards, Chuck

> Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs

I belive this one is in the above FAQ.

--
Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl

@ 2002-07-26  6:28             ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2002-07-26  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Gelm, linux-newbie

At 05:20 PM 7/25/02 -0400, Chuck Gelm wrote:
>Howdy, Y'all:
>
>  Where can I find help with 'lilo'.

On my (Debian) systems, /usr/share/doc/lilo contains an excellent LILO
Manual. You might see if Slackware installs something similar or do a Web
search for a LILO Manual.

>When I try to boot from hard disk, I get:
>
>LI

The LILO Manual describes this result as follows:

         LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage
boot
         loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
         geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
         installer.

>  This happens with several hard disks, usually large ones of
>8 gigabytes or larger. The drives are partitioned with
>  partition 1 <= 1024 cylinders,

How certain are you of this? Large hard disks (>8GB) lie about their
geometries in ways I do not completely understand. And if you are creating
a root partition big enough to hold the entire install, it may be big
enough to trigger problems with some disk/BIOS combinations.

The way (or at least *a* way) around this is to partition as follows:

hda1 -- small (50 MB or so) Linux partition. Mount this as /boot so lilo
(the Linux installer program) will save the second-stage loader and kernel
image there.
hda2 -- big root (/) partition that you install the distro itself to.
hda3 --  swap (if you need swap)
hda4 -- whatever you meant by "the rest" in your list below.

Even with real weirdness in geometry, the first 50 megs of even a very
large hard disk (the largest I've used is 100 GB) won't run into track-1024
problems.

>  partition 2 is some swap, and
>  partition 3 is 'the rest'.
>Partition 1 is '/' and contains the entire distribution
>install (Slackware v8.0).
>
>  I've read some help files and it mentions drive geometry
>problems and the 1024 cylinder limit.  I usually keep
>trying different hard drives until I get one that will
>boot and then I make it /dev/hda.
>
>The system boots fine from CD-ROM (Slackware8.0 Install)
>or pre-install boot disk or post-install created lilo floppy.

The /usr/share/doc/lilo directory on my newer systems includes a file
called README.common.problems, much of which is devoted to a discussion of
the LI symptom and ways to address drive-geometry problems. You might see
if Slackware provides it as well.

Oh ... it took me less than 5 minutes on Google to find the two reference
documents I mentioned above online, at URL

         http://www.gnuenterprise.org/doc/lilo/

* Re: LI -lilo booting problem
@ 2002-07-26  8:26               ` Ramzez
From: Ramzez @ 2002-07-26  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

HI, probe this
you just have to enter in rescue mode, edit you
/etc/lilo.conf writing lba32, run "lilo" and reboot
your machine

bye

@ 2002-07-26 12:44                 ` Frank Roberts - SOTL
From: Frank Roberts - SOTL @ 2002-07-26 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski, linux-newbie

On Thursday 25 July 2002 23:53, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> As you can see below, your message came to the list in soewhat garbled form
> -- with sentence fragments and bits that look like they are out of place.
> So please forgive me if I have misinterpreted what you (intended to) say.

Thanks for trying to read this mess. It appears that 2 words were added in
front of my posting and what is disturbing to me it was in my box or more
probable my failure to clear my original scripting of the posting.

I have correcte the posting to the original meaning.

> At 09:38 PM 7/25/02 -0400, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> >I hope you nice people can explain to me how to get out
> > of this situation.
> >
> >I have a dual boot box - MS Windows 98 on hda and Linux RH6.3 on hdb.
> >
> >Having problems with the Windows side (nothing new here) I decided to
> > remove both hda and hdb and install a third hard drive (hd3) and the use
> > the original restore disk to install windows on hd3.
> >
> >First I had problems getting the restore disk to be acknowledged but on
> > about the 4th boot attempt I .
> >
> >The first screen up said that the disk drive was unreadable and that i
> > would have to use FDisk to remove all partions. This I did and then
> > rebooted the box.
> >
> >The box then refused to boot.
>
> If I understand you correctly, up to this point, all your problems are with
> Windows, not with Linux.

Yes

> >I then restored the box to its original configuration by reinstalling hda
> > and hdb and removing hd3. The systen still refused to boot.

> At this point, a description of the failure mode would belp more than
> "refused to boot".  Did LILO even begin to run?

No

> Did it display any messages on teh screen?

This is going to take several boot and I dought that I get all the info
completely correct. It simply goes by on the screen too fast.

1. CPU=Celeron 300 MHz
2. RAM is checked                  Passed
3. Extended RAM is checked  Passed
4. System BIOS Shadowed
5. Vidio BIOS Shadowed
6. Upper limit segmant address = F299
7. Fixed Disk 0: TD@ @06400L
8. Fixed Disk 1: WDC AC310200R
9. ATAPI CD-ROM: CDR-8240B
10. ATAPI CD-ROM: SONY CD-RW CRX175E2
11. System Configuration Data Updated
12. Blinking Currersor

> >I stuck Tomsrtd in and boot the box into Toms followed by a normal shut
> > down.
> >
> >I then stuck RH 7.3 install in and started an upgrade to see what would
> >happen. The box finally booted into RH after 5 or 6 tries.
>
> This sounds more and more like a hardware failure, perhaps a mobo problem.
> The system as you described it has now had problems with a Windows boot
> floppy, some hard disk bootloader (I surmise lilo), and syslinux (I believe
> RH boot floppies use syslinux).

Don't see that personally. The two normal systems HD were out of the system
with the third HD in the system and the system will boot and load from the
floppie and CD-Read after system restoration.

> >I shut the upgrade down before the box upgrades keeping the original
> >configuration - hopefully.
> >
> >Next I attempted an install of RH to see what the  table looked liked.
> > Here I received an error message that the partition table for hda the MS
> > Windows side was not readable. At that point I shut the box down keeping
> > the original configuration hopefully.
> >
> >I again tried to boot the box normally. No Go.
> >
> >Hopefully somebody has some ideas in how to boot this box.
>
> Boot it into what? You say it booted with Tomsrtbt. It's been awhile since
> I used that, but doesn't it include a kernel with ide support and tools
> like (Linux) fdisk? What do those tools tell you about the disks and their
> partitions?

My Knowledge of TOMS is very limited. The only thing this proved to me was
that I could boot the box into a system on a floppie. Thus the motherboard is
working, same for booting from the CD-Read.

> The difficulties you describe simply do not sound like Linux problems;
> instead, they sound like hardware problems of some sort.

Not certain of a lot associated with computers but I do not believe that this
system is reaching Lilo.

> A more complete
> report of the details of the various failures (especially the LILO failure)
> and a description of the underlying hardware, might elicit more helpful

Thanks again for your help.

Frank

-

* Re: No Boot Problem
@ 2002-07-26 16:57                   ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2002-07-26 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Roberts - SOTL, linux-newbie

In your followup, you haven't really told us much more about the problem.

Based on your clarifications, I'd surmise a problem of some sort with the
hard disk connection -- either the controller itself,  which in modern
systems is usually part of the motherboard electronics (this is why I
characterized your problem as a mobo problem before), with the BIOS
settings for the hard disk(s), or possibly with the cable (is the CD drive
that you say works for booting on the same IDE channel as the hard disks?
I'd *guess* not from the BIOS report you provide below).

The alternative is that you have two separate problems, one with the old
(Windows) hda, the other with the replacement hard disk you attempted to
install to. Since you only examined the replacement drive under Windows, I
can't venture any real guess about what its problem might be (although it
*might* be as simple as a BIOS mismatch, if you didn't either set the BIOS
to autoprobe for IDE primary master or actually specify the new drive
geometry).

A couple of specific comments are below.

At 08:44 AM 7/26/02 -0400, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
[...]

> > At this point, a description of the failure mode would belp more than
> > "refused to boot".  Did LILO even begin to run?
>
>No
>
> > Did it display any messages on teh screen?
>
>This is going to take several boot and I dought that I get all the info
>completely correct. It simply goes by on the screen too fast.
>
>1. CPU=Celeron 300 MHz
>2. RAM is checked                  Passed
>3. Extended RAM is checked  Passed
>4. System BIOS Shadowed
>5. Vidio BIOS Shadowed
>6. Upper limit segmant address = F299
>7. Fixed Disk 0: TD@ @06400L
>8. Fixed Disk 1: WDC AC310200R
>9. ATAPI CD-ROM: CDR-8240B
>10. ATAPI CD-ROM: SONY CD-RW CRX175E2
>11. System Configuration Data Updated
>12. Blinking Currersor

This is all information from the system's BIOS. You are right in inferring
that LILO does not appear ever to run.

> > >I stuck Tomsrtd in and boot the box into Toms followed by a normal shut
> > > down.
> > >
> > >I then stuck RH 7.3 install in and started an upgrade to see what would
> > >happen. The box finally booted into RH after 5 or 6 tries.
> >
> > This sounds more and more like a hardware failure, perhaps a mobo problem.
> > The system as you described it has now had problems with a Windows boot
> > floppy, some hard disk bootloader (I surmise lilo), and syslinux (I believe
> > RH boot floppies use syslinux).
>
>Don't see that personally. The two normal systems HD were out of the system
>with the third HD in the system and the system will boot and load from the
>floppie and CD-Read after system restoration.

What does this mean (specifically the phrase "system restoration")?

You say the RH installer took 6 tries before it worked. I realize now that
you did not say if you were doing this from a floppy or a CD ... RH can
install either way ... but that is part of the reason I interpret your
report as a hardware failure -- even with the 2 original hard disks
removed, you have problems.

In re-reading what you wrote, I also realize that I don't know for sure
what you mean by "The box finally booted into RH after 5 or 6 tries". I had
read it to mean that the RH installer itself took 6 tries to boot (get to
the install process), but perhaps you mean you had to try installing 6
times before the new hard disk would boot. In any case, you can see the
need to clarify your report.
[...]

* Re: LI -lilo booting problem
                               ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-07-26 17:04             ` ichi
From: ichi @ 2002-07-26 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Gelm; +Cc: linux-newbie

@ 2002-07-26 20:28               ` Chuck Gelm
From: Chuck Gelm @ 2002-07-26 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Roberts - SOTL; +Cc: linux-newbie

Hi, Frank:

 You may need to let bios autodetect the different hard drives.
Odd, you never mentioned an error message, only that the
computer did not boot.
Did it POST?
Did it display your video hardware?
Did it boot to bios (press DEL to enter setup) ?
Did bios recognize that your changed your hard drives?
HTH, Chuck

@ 2002-07-26 21:19               ` Chuck Gelm
From: Chuck Gelm @ 2002-07-26 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Hi, Ray, Richard, & Ramzez:

 I use
/usr/src/linux/# make install
 and
# lilo
 (/sbin/lilo ?) to try to install a bootable system.

Thanks.  I found the mention of adding lba32
to lilo.conf, although README.common.problems
does NOT show the syntax of the line.  :-|

 However, I'll plug 'lba32' & 'lilo' into google
or whatever and see if I can find an example.

 I can install Slackware8.0, compile a new kernel,
and boot from floppies, either lilo or bzdisk,
yet I cannot boot from either of two hard drives.
:-|
Here is the partition structure of the last two
HDs that I've tried to boot.

Device	Boot	Start	End	Blocks	Id	System
/dev/hda1 *	1	240    1927768	83	Linux system
/dev/hda2	241	256	128520	82	Linux swap
/dev/hda3	257	2491 179526378	83	Linux system

I tried this one in Primary master also:

Device	Boot	Start	End	Blocks	Id	System
/dev/hda1 *	1	128    1028128	83	Linux system
/dev/hda2	129	131	 24097	82	Linux swap
/dev/hda3	132    1048    7365802	83	Linux system

In all cases(2) system was:

(1)	/dev/hda1 mounted as /
	/dev/hda3 mounted as /usr

(2)	/dev/hda1 mounted as /
	/dev/hda3 mounted as /share

 So, / (/boot) was always within the first 1024 cylinders.
:-|

I'm off to find "lba32".

Thanks again, Chuck

pa3gcu wrote:

> On Thursday 25 July 2002 21:20, Chuck Gelm wrote:
> > Howdy, Y'all:
> >
> >  Where can I find help with 'lilo'.
>
> /usr/doc/lilo-21.7.5 (slackware-8.0)
>
> > When I try to boot from hard disk, I get:
> >
> > LI
-

* Re: LI -lilo booting problem
@ 2002-07-26 21:21               ` Chuck Gelm
From: Chuck Gelm @ 2002-07-26 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Here is my lilo.conf

lba32
# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hda1
message = /boot/boot_message.txt
prompt
timeout = 99
# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
change-rules
  reset
# Normal VGA console
vga = normal
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
# vga=791
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
# vga=790
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
# vga=773
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
# vga=788
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
# vga=787
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
# vga=771
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
# vga=785
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
# vga=784
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
# vga=769
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda1
  label = Linux
  read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends
-

* Re: LI -lilo booting problem
@ 2002-07-26 23:57                 ` Ray Olszewski
       [not found]                   ` <3D444FC2.354744E5@gelm.net>
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2002-07-26 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Gelm, linux-newbie

Chuck -- You are trying to write the bootloader itself to a partition, You
should at least try writing it to the Master Boot Record to see if that
fixes your problem. To do that, you change the line that reads

         boot = /dev/hda1

to read

         boot = /dev/hda

Second, you are not *explicitly* putting the kernel image in /boot . You
are pointing to it with this line:

         image = /vmlinuz

Now this is *probably* OK; typically, /vmlinux is a symlink to
/boot/linux_something_or_other (the exact name used for the real kernel
image can vary a lot, and I don't recall Slackware's practice here). But
you might double check it. ALso double check that /boot/boot.b (the
second-stage bootloader) is present.

Third, in your other message, you included fdisk partitioning info about
various drives you found. It would be helpful to include (a) the capacity
of the drives and (b) the grometry indormation fdisk reports about what you
quoted. An example of the geometry info, from one of my systems, is as follows:

         Disk /dev/hdc: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 1023 cylinders
         Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 bytes

You need to consider the possibility that Linux and the BIOS see the CHS
structure of the drive differently (since Linux's disk-access components do
not use the BIOS). So what Linux thinks is within 1024 cylinders may be
outside where the BIOS thinks cylinder 1024 is.

Finally, I'm finding myself a bit confused about what versions of LILO do
and do not have the 1024-cylinder limitation. Even an up-to-date LILO
(22.2) comes with docs that continue to talk about this limitation, but
like Richard, I've also read that it is no longer present. In any case, it
might help if we knew what version of lilo you were actually running ("lilo
-V").

@ 2002-07-27  1:23                     ` Frank Roberts - SOTL
From: Frank Roberts - SOTL @ 2002-07-27  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski, linux-newbie, Chuck Gelm

First thanks to all who took the time to respond.
Second I have the box working but I still have no idea what the real problem
is.
To get the box working I reinstalled the 3rd hard drive; putting the two
normally in the box on a shelf.
Then I installed Linux on the third HD from the CD-Reader and created a
floppie boot disk.
Then I utilized the floppie boot disk to book up Linux which then I shut down
normally.
Then I reinstalled the 2 HD that are normally in the system and booted them in
a normal fashion.

Bottom line
The only thing I can figure is that if BIOS must complete a boot in a proper
sequence and then shut down in the correct sequence or else.
And, that "or else" is a problem; not just a problem but a major problem.

Thanks
Frank

-

* Re: LI -lilo booting problem
@ 2002-07-27  8:08                 ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2002-07-27  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Gelm, linux-newbie

On Friday 26 July 2002 21:19, Chuck Gelm wrote:
> Hi, Ray, Richard, & Ramzez:
>
>  I use
> /usr/src/linux/# make install
>  and
> # lilo
>  (/sbin/lilo ?) to try to install a bootable system.

I pointed you to my home-page in my last mail, i will suggest it once more, i
can assure you it will help you.

> Thanks.  I found the mention of adding lba32
> to lilo.conf, although README.common.problems
> does NOT show the syntax of the line.  :-|

lba32 is, i belive "not" your problem, /dev/hda1 starts and ends within the
larger as1023 limit. (If applicable in your lilo version that is)
As i mentioned, the cyl limit is not a problem anymore in presant day lilo
versions.

>  However, I'll plug 'lba32' & 'lilo' into google
> or whatever and see if I can find an example.
>
>  I can install Slackware8.0, compile a new kernel,
> and boot from floppies, either lilo or bzdisk,
> yet I cannot boot from either of two hard drives.

Ray pointed out that you have boot = /dev/hda1 in /etc/lilo.conf
have you tryed changing it to boot = /dev/hda
??

I always advise against the use of 'make install' when installing a new
kernel because one has problems like you are encountering.

I will update the kernel.htm in my home page and explain more about the
use/missuse of make options and what they do/can do, help/ or hinder.

@ 2002-07-28 21:15                     ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2002-07-28 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Gelm; +Cc: linux-newbie

Chuck -- I assume your sending this to me personally was just a typo, so
Iave added the list back into my reply.

At 04:10 PM 7/28/02 -0400, Chuck Gelm wrote:
>Hi, Ray et allia:
>
>  I tried /dev/hda1 = /boot.

I trust this is just a typo in the e-mail, since it is neither correct LILO
usage nor anything I suggested. But I can't gues what it is a typo *for*.

>The result was the same as before; LI
>I've just been wondering about drive geometry, as you mention.
>I 'dmesg|grep hd' and found that it had 16,### cylinders.

Yes. As I said some messages back, big hard disks lie about their
geometries in ways that I do not fully understand, but that can cause their
CHS settings to look diferent to the BIOS than to Linux. You seem to have
found that this is true of the disk you were working with (Linux fdisk will
proably tell you that this same drive has 1048 cylinders).

>I did some math and decided that '/' needed to be no larger
>than the old 528 MB, 1024 cylinders * 16 heads * 63 sectors
>* 512 bytes = 528,482,304.
>
>  So, I've just re-fdisk'ed /dev/hda
>(the 8.6 gigabyte drive) to
>part    boot    device  start   stop    size    mount
>1       *       /hda1   1       64      528M    /
>2               /hda2   65      96      257M    swap
>3               /hda3   96      1048    7.9G    /usr

You may find it inconvenient to have this small a root (/) partition on
your system. I know I would, This is why I suggested earlier making hda1
even smaller and mounting it as /boot, then having a later hda* partition
be your system root.

>Ray Olszewski wrote:
> >
> > Chuck -- You are trying to write the bootloader itself to a partition, You
> > should at least try writing it to the Master Boot Record to see if that
> > fixes your problem. To do that, you change the line that reads
> >
> >          boot = /dev/hda1
> >
> > to read
> >
> >          boot = /dev/hda
> >
> > Second, you are not *explicitly* putting the kernel image in /boot . You
> > are pointing to it with this line:
> >
> >          image = /vmlinuz
> >
> > Now this is *probably* OK; typically, /vmlinux is a symlink to
> > /boot/linux_something_or_other (the exact name used for the real kernel
> > image can vary a lot, and I don't recall Slackware's practice here). But
> > you might double check it. ALso double check that /boot/boot.b (the
> > second-stage bootloader) is present.
>
>On my new install
>/vmlinuz
>resides in / and there are no links in /.
>Boot.b is a link, but it resides in /boot
>and it links to a file, boot-menu.b, which also resides
>in /boot. :-|
>
>  I gotta go. Many thanks.
>#lilo -V
>21.7-5.
>
>Regards, Chuck

[old stuff deleted]

* Re: LI -lilo booting problem
@ 2002-07-29  1:21                       ` Chuck Gelm
From: Chuck Gelm @ 2002-07-29  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski; +Cc: linux-newbie

Hi, Ray:

Yes, I guess I clicked 'reply' rather than 'reply-all'.
Thanks for relying 'to the list'. :-|

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> Chuck -- I assume your sending this to me personally was just a typo, so
> Iave added the list back into my reply.

<snip>
> >part    boot    device  start   stop    size    mount
> >1       *       /hda1   1       64      528M    /
> >2               /hda2   65      96      257M    swap
> >3               /hda3   96      1048    7.9G    /usr
>
> You may find it inconvenient to have this small a root (/) partition on
> your system. I know I would, This is why I suggested earlier making hda1
> even smaller and mounting it as /boot, then having a later hda* partition
> be your system root.

 I checked my last install partitioned as above;
'/' was less than 55 Megabytes and '/usr' was just under 1 gigabyte.

Now "dev/hda1 mounted as /" is 11% used and
    "dev/hda3 mounted as /usr" is 10% used.
I'm comfy for now, but I think all my log files will be filling
up my "/var" something or other under "/". :-|

I'll try to boot this evening.
Ray is probably asleep at this time. ;-)

G'night, G'morning, or G'day, depending on what part of the
world your in. ;-)
Chuck
-

* Re: LI -lilo booting problem
@ 2002-07-29 21:01                         ` Chuck Gelm
From: Chuck Gelm @ 2002-07-29 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

The drive is a Seagate ST38420A.
I went to www.seagate.com
and downloaded their 'OnTrack' software.
Installed it on the drive.
Now the system boots.
:-)
Yet, why didn't it boot before?

Bewildered, Chuck

Chuck Gelm wrote:

> <snip>
> > >part    boot    device  start   stop    size    mount
> > >1       *       /hda1   1       64      528M    /
> > >2               /hda2   65      96      257M    swap
> > >3               /hda3   96      1048    7.9G    /usr
-

* Re: LI -lilo booting problem
@ 2002-07-29 23:11                           ` Frank Roberts - SOTL
From: Frank Roberts - SOTL @ 2002-07-29 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Somewhere in my far distant past I had a dual boot RH 6.0 / MS Windows system.
I now have a dual boot RH 7.3 box.
If I recall correctly all I did to R H 6.0 box to make it read and write to
the Win side was add the following line to fstab:

/dev/hda1    /mnt/dos    vfat    user,noauto,rw     0 0

I have added the above to the RH7.3 box but the KDE mount User Tool does not
show that dos is mountable.

I would appreciate what ideas and guidance the experts on this list may have
to offer.

Thanks
Frank
-

* ntp - how?
@ 2002-08-02 10:07                           ` Chuck Gelm
From: Chuck Gelm @ 2002-08-02 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Howdy, Y'all:

 I stuck trying to run ntpd.  I don't see any updates
when I run 'ntpq -p'.  When I run 'ntpdate host',
all of the hosts I've tried return
"[date] : no server suitable for synchronization found"
What is wrong?

Regards, Chuck
-

* Re: ntp - how?
@ 2002-08-02 15:31                             ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2002-08-02 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Gelm, linux-newbie

On Friday 02 August 2002 10:07, Chuck Gelm wrote:
> Howdy, Y'all:
>
>  I stuck trying to run ntpd.  I don't see any updates
> when I run 'ntpq -p'.  When I run 'ntpdate host',
> all of the hosts I've tried return
> "[date] : no server suitable for synchronization found"
> What is wrong?

I dont know who is stuck the most, me or you, i dont know which program you
mean, as in the header you imply ntp which is Network Time Protocol, and in
the mail itself you imply ntpq.

Just what do you want to achive, ? i may have missed a mail somewhere and be
missing the point, so i will ask;
What do you want to do, use ntp to set your systemtime from a timeserver ont
he net, or do you want to run nntp newsservices.?

A simple command for setting time is;
netdate timeserver_domainname
Or;
rdate -s timeserver_domainname

--
Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl

@ 2002-08-02 16:36                             ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2002-08-02 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Gelm, linux-newbie

At 06:07 AM 8/2/02 -0400, Chuck Gelm wrote:
>Howdy, Y'all:
>
>  I stuck trying to run ntpd.  I don't see any updates
>when I run 'ntpq -p'.  When I run 'ntpdate host',
>all of the hosts I've tried return
>"[date] : no server suitable for synchronization found"
>What is wrong?

Well .. the obvious possibilities are

         1. your system cannot reach the hosts you try
         2. the hosts you try are not ntp servers
         3. your system is behind a firewall that interfeerse with access
to the ntp port

Post the details of what you have been trying and we'll try to help you
figure out the exact problem.

BTW, ntpdate is a different program from ntpd (on Debian systems, it is a
completely separate install from ntpd), so you might want to be a bit more
exact about what ntp package you are trying to run. Also what Linux distro.

* Re: ntp - how?
@ 2002-08-02 20:28                               ` Chuck Gelm
From: Chuck Gelm @ 2002-08-02 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Hi, Ray:
Thanks.

Ooopps, I reported earlier that the kernel was 2.4.18.

It is kernel 2.2.19 from Slackware8.0 on a very old Compaq
80486dx33, 32 Megabytes of RAM, 40 Gigabyte hd,
internet access is via aDSL modem, eth1 & eth2 are 3c509s.
pppoe is Roaring Penguin v3.5 with firewall option #2,
Masquerade.

ntpdate 4.0.99k23 Sun Apr  8 15:36:31 PDT 2001 (1)

'ls -l /usr/sbin ntp*' -> all files are dated
April 8, 2001.  I am assuming that all ntp* files
are version 4.0.99k23.  :-|

Regards, Chuck

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 06:07 AM 8/2/02 -0400, Chuck Gelm wrote:
> >Howdy, Y'all:
> >
> >  I stuck trying to run ntpd.  I don't see any updates
> >when I run 'ntpq -p'.  When I run 'ntpdate host',
> >all of the hosts I've tried return
> >"[date] : no server suitable for synchronization found"
> >What is wrong?
>
> Well .. the obvious possibilities are
>
>          1. your system cannot reach the hosts you try

I can 'ping' some of the ones listed in the #2 list found
in the Time-Precision-Howto.  I entered into my '/etc/ntp.conf'
the ones I could ping. ;-)

>          2. the hosts you try are not ntp servers

Duh. They are the ones I found by following the links on the
'Time-Precision-Howto'. :-|  Most have 'ntp', 'time', 'tick',...
in their host_name. :-|  I can provide my 'ntp.conf' if it
would help.

>          3. your system is behind a firewall that interferes with access
> to the ntp port

 The system is the 'firewall'.  Doh! Do I need to allow a port
 less than 1024?  I am running the default rule set of ipchains
 that RoaringPenguin sets, 'ipchains -L':

Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
target  prot opt     source   destination ports
DENY    udp  ----l-  anywhere anywhere    any ->   0:1023
DENY    tcp  ----l-  anywhere anywhere    any ->   0:1023
DENY    tcp  -y--l-  anywhere anywhere    any ->   any
DENY    icmp ----l-  anywhere anywhere    echo-request
Chain forward (policy DENY):
target  prot opt     source   destination  ports
MASQ    all  ------  anywhere anywhere     n/a
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):

@ 2002-08-02 21:42                                 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2002-08-02 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Gelm, linux-newbie

At 04:28 PM 8/2/02 -0400, Chuck Gelm wrote:
>Hi, Ray:
>Thanks.
>
>Ooopps, I reported earlier that the kernel was 2.4.18.
>
>It is kernel 2.2.19 from Slackware8.0 on a very old Compaq
>80486dx33, 32 Megabytes of RAM, 40 Gigabyte hd,
>internet access is via aDSL modem, eth1 & eth2 are 3c509s.
>pppoe is Roaring Penguin v3.5 with firewall option #2,
>Masquerade.

I'm not sure when "earlier" was, but it seems like a good excuse to mention
that I, and I think many of the others here who try to answer questions,
see an awful lot of questions (in my case, on this and about a half dozen
other lists). I don't do well at recalling from prior threads what a
particular user's setup is. So, at least for me, it's useful to include
this sort of summary of the basics whenever you ask a new question. (And on
that score, this was a great summary -- concise and decently complete as
regards the problem at hand.)

As to your actual problem ...
[...]
> >          3. your system is behind a firewall that interferes with access
> > to the ntp port
>
>  The system is the 'firewall'.  Doh! Do I need to allow a port
>  less than 1024?  I am running the default rule set of ipchains
>  that RoaringPenguin sets, 'ipchains -L':
>
>Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
>target  prot opt     source   destination ports
>DENY    udp  ----l-  anywhere anywhere    any ->   0:1023
>DENY    tcp  ----l-  anywhere anywhere    any ->   0:1023
>DENY    tcp  -y--l-  anywhere anywhere    any ->   any
>DENY    icmp ----l-  anywhere anywhere    echo-request
>Chain forward (policy DENY):
>target  prot opt     source   destination  ports
>MASQ    all  ------  anywhere anywhere     n/a
>Chain output (policy ACCEPT):

It is better to list your rulesets with "ipchains -nvL", since that format
includes information that the simple -L version omits (like interface
designations). Due to the omissions, I can't say for sure if this ruleset
is interfering with NTP connections or not. Assuming they do not also
interfere with, for example, your ability to make http, DNS, and SMTP
connections to Internet servers, they probably apply only to the ppp0
interface.

Would they, if applied only to ppp0, interfere with NTP connections? Not
sure, but it appears so. ntpd listens on the NTP port, port 123 ... and
from a quick test, it **appears** that NTP queries made by ntpdate also
come *from* port 123. So the queries would go out just fine, but the
replies would be DENY'd.

So it is a good guess that firewalling is your problem. To test this guess,
add this ipchains rule

ipchains -I 1 input -d 0.0.0.0 123 -j ACCEPT

(do check the syntax; I just wrote that from memory ... and you will want a
somewhat better rule for a final solution, if the test proves that this is
the problem).

Or check your logs for reports of DENY'd packets from the ntp servers you
tried, since your DENY rules do specify logging.

* Re: ntp - how?
@ 2002-08-02 22:25                                   ` Chuck Gelm
From: Chuck Gelm @ 2002-08-02 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski; +Cc: linux-newbie

Hi, Ray:
Thanks.
Yup, I think the problem is the firewall rule set.
I copied the ntp.conf file to the two masqueraded
hosts and they appear to be working.

 Yes, there were many many DENY's from w.x.y.z:123 !

dmesg|grep ":123"

 So, I'll make an internal LAN host the
default ntpd host and let the firewall and the
'other' linux box run ntp off of it.

 So, now I'm off to figure out how to make
an alias:
fileserver.home -> ntp.home

ipchains -nvL:

Chain input (policy ACCEPT: 95385 packets, 49586886 bytes):
 pkts bytes target prot opt    tosa tosx  ifname mark outsize source
destination  ports
 1314 99946 DENY   udp  ----l- 0xFF 0x00  ppp+                0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0    * ->   0:1023
   47  2364 DENY   tcp  ----l- 0xFF 0x00  ppp+                0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0    * ->   0:1023
  414 21108 DENY   tcp  -y--l- 0xFF 0x00  ppp+                0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0    * ->   *
    0     0 DENY   icmp ----l- 0xFF 0x00  ppp+                0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0    8 ->   *
Chain forward (policy DENY: 0 packets, 0 bytes):
 pkts bytes target prot opt    tosa tosx  ifname mark outsize source
destination  ports
36585 2940K MASQ   all  ------ 0xFF 0x00  *                   0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0    n/a
Chain output (policy ACCEPT: 96415 packets, 48504643 bytes):

;-)

Many thanks.

Chuck