* cleaning up disk space
@ 2003-06-09 14:50 Anna Grace Zapata
From: Anna Grace Zapata @ 2003-06-09 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Hello all,

I tried patching my Linux box with the latest RPMs.  However, the machine
said that there was not enough room.  How should I proceed?  How do I go
about knowing how much disk space is available and how to clean up the
machine to make more room.

Thank you.

Anna G. Zapata
Network Security Coordinator
GIAC Security Essentials Certified
University Technology Services
(303) 871-2009 - work
(303) 871-4135 - fax

-

* Re: cleaning up disk space
@ 2003-06-09 15:24 ` Amin
From: Amin @ 2003-06-09 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 08:50:31 -0600, Anna Grace Zapata <azapata@du.edu>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I tried patching my Linux box with the latest RPMs.  However, the machine
> said that there was not enough room.  How should I proceed?  How do I go
> about knowing how much disk space is available and how to clean up the
> machine to make more room.

Available disk space:  Use the `df' command.  E.g.:

$ df -h
/dev/hda6             6.5G  3.6G  2.6G  58% /
/dev/hda3             1.8G   39M  1.6G   3% /boot
none                   61M     0   61M   0% /dev/shm

The ``-h'' option is to get human-readable sizes (in MB and GB).

Cleaning up the machine:  Uninstall as many packages as you can do without.
 All sorts of things can go, from big stuff like GNOME or KDE to many far-
flung apps like web server, Samba, print servers, mail servers, many ``eye-
candy'' graphical programs.  The list goes on.  You might like to consult
with any others who use the computer, though.

Regards,
Yawar Amin
-

* Re: cleaning up disk space
@ 2003-06-09 15:29 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2003-06-09 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 08:50 AM 6/9/2003 -0600, Anna Grace Zapata wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I tried patching my Linux box with the latest RPMs.  However, the machine
>said that there was not enough room.  How should I proceed?  How do I go
>about knowing how much disk space is available and how to clean up the
>machine to make more room.

The command to check filesystem utilization is "df". It reports the size of
each filesystem, the space used, and the space available (after subtracting
the reserve, usually 5%, for root).

There is no *general* answer to your second question ("how to clean up the
machine to make more room"). If your system is too full for an update, you
need to remove something ... but the best choice of "something" depends on
what you already have installed and what you actually use the system for.
You know that information; we don't.

The details of how to proceed may also depend a bit on what distro and
version you are using. SInce you mention RPMs, I can rule out Slackware and
Debian, but most of the other big-name distros use RPM packaging.

-

* Re: cleaning up disk space
@ 2003-06-10 12:24   ` Hal MacArgle
From: Hal MacArgle @ 2003-06-10 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

On 06-09, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> The details of how to proceed may also depend a bit on what distro and
> version you are using. SInce you mention RPMs, I can rule out Slackware and
> Debian, but most of the other big-name distros use RPM packaging.

	Present Slackware distributions bundle 'rpm' as one of their
package managers keeping the older UNIX 'pkgtool' and 'installpkg'...
Just to confuse the issue? :^)....

    Hal - in Terra Alta, WV - Slackware GNU/Linux 8.0   (2.4.18)
                Proprietary  Formats  Unacceptable
.
-