* path locations
       [not found] <200307121947.50580.sotl155360@earthlink.net>
@ 2003-07-12 23:52 ` Frank Roberts - SOTL
From: Frank Roberts - SOTL @ 2003-07-12 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Newbie

Hi All

I know that part of the path statement is located in /home/<user/.bashrc
and part is located in /root/.bashrc but I believe that there is another
system location for another part of the path statement.

I would appreciate it if some knowledgable person would enlightenment me as
to the location of this third part.

Thanks

Frank

-

* Re: path locations
@ 2003-07-13  2:21   ` Brian P. Bilbrey
From: Brian P. Bilbrey @ 2003-07-13  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Roberts - SOTL; +Cc: Linux Newbie

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 19:52, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I know that part of the path statement is located in /home/<user/.bashrc
> and part is located in /root/.bashrc but I believe that there is another
> system location for another part of the path statement.

Yep. When you login as ~user, you get ~user's path spec from ~/.bashrc,
that's true for the root user, too. That is, when you login as 'frank',
you never, ever source /root/bashrc.

The system wide basis path is often (but not always) found in
/etc/profile.

> I would appreciate it if some knowledgable person would enlightenment me as
> to the location of this third part.

So, just to flog a dead horse, there is no third part. There is
/etc/profile, which is the basis, then any additional pathing should be
added through something like a

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/foo:/usr/bar

in ~/.bashrc, whether a normal or superuser.

HTH,

.brian

--
Brian Bilbrey: bilbrey@orbdesigns.com and http://www.orbdesigns.com/
    First they came for the verbs, and I said nothing,for

-

* Re: path locations
@ 2003-07-13  3:02     ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2003-07-13  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Newbie

See below.

At 10:21 PM 7/12/2003 -0400, Brian P. Bilbrey wrote:
>On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 19:52, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I know that part of the path statement is located in /home/<user/.bashrc
> > and part is located in /root/.bashrc but I believe that there is another
> > system location for another part of the path statement.
>
>Yep. When you login as ~user, you get ~user's path spec from ~/.bashrc,
>that's true for the root user, too. That is, when you login as 'frank',
>you never, ever source /root/bashrc.
>
>The system wide basis path is often (but not always) found in
>/etc/profile.
>
> > I would appreciate it if some knowledgable person would enlightenment me as
> > to the location of this third part.
>
>So, just to flog a dead horse, there is no third part. There is
>/etc/profile, which is the basis, then any additional pathing should be
>added through something like a
>
>export PATH=$PATH:/opt/foo:/usr/bar
>
>in ~/.bashrc, whether a normal or superuser.

It's actually just a bit more tangled than this, Brian.

At the systemwide level, you have:

/etc/profile, the standard for sh and any sh-compatible shell (e.g., bash).

/etc/bash.bashrc, another standard for bash.

/etc/login.defs is actually used by login, not bash, but it can do some
bash-like things.

At the user (which Brian currectly associates with ~, not <) level, you have

~/.profile, the user-specific analog to /etc/profile
~/.bash_profile, an alternate name that may replace the above
~/.bashrc, the user-specifci analog to /etc/bash.bashrc

The files in /root are red herrings, in that they are simply the
user-specific file for userid root.

The exact details of how this stuff works, and the exact names used for the
files, vary a bit from one distro to another, so you'll have to check the
docs specific to your setup to get it right. An additional complication is
that which of these files runs when a shell is opened depends on whether
the shell is the result of a login, an su, an su -, or a #!/bin/bash header
in a shell script.

It's messy.

-

* path Setting
@ 2003-07-13 13:12       ` Frank Roberts - SOTL
From: Frank Roberts - SOTL @ 2003-07-13 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Newbie

Hi All & Thanks for the responses

Often simple sounding questions open complex cans of worms

In my initial thinking I believed that one could simply open the apporiate
file edit the path statement anb be on one's way.

Alas that is not so.
The files are no longer simple text files but complex program files.

So lets get to the real isue.

My root path is as follows:
/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin
    :/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin

My user path is:
/usr//bin:/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin

Now to me the user path appears to have a few problems.
One being // instead of /, another being :: instead of :, and more important
no qt3 path.

I attempted to edit the user path by:
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin
    :/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin

but when I close the terminal and reopen the terminal to check the path has
reurned to its original form.

Would some one please enlightnment me as to the corrrect procedure for
changing this path.

PS: The above path statement comes from a MD 9.1 notebook. I have Md 9.1 also
set up on a desktop for testing. It has the same user path errors (to me).

Thanks
Frank

-

* Re: path Setting
@ 2003-07-13 14:25         ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2003-07-13 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Newbie

See below, inline.

At 09:12 AM 7/13/2003 -0400, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
>Hi All & Thanks for the responses
>
>Often simple sounding questions open complex cans of worms
>
>In my initial thinking I believed that one could simply open the apporiate
>file edit the path statement anb be on one's way.
>
>Alas that is not so.
>The files are no longer simple text files but complex program files.

What do you mean by this?

>So lets get to the real isue.
>
>My root path is as follows:
>/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin
>     :/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin
>
>My user path is:
>/usr//bin:/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin
>
>Now to me the user path appears to have a few problems.
>One being // instead of /, another being :: instead of :, and more important
>no qt3 path.

Actually the first two things, while definitely errors, are harmless.

>I attempted to edit the user path by:
>PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin
>     :/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin

What file did you make this change in? Did you edit an existing line or add
a new one? If the second, did you follow it by "EXPORT PATH", and are you
sure that it is the *last* PATH= statement in the file?

>but when I close the terminal and reopen the terminal to check the path has
>reurned to its original form.

As I said last night, some config files handle only initial login shells,
while others affect post-login shells. So what "the terminal" is matters to
your problem, as does which file you edited. Be more exact about what
"reopen the terminal" means. Did you log out, then login again, to a
console (a vt)? Close, then open an xterm or eterm? Quit, then start, an
ssh or telnet session?

>Would some one please enlightnment me as to the corrrect procedure for
>changing this path.

The statement you report adding, if followed by an "EXPORT PATH" line
should work in principle. You've been tripped up by the details, but I
can't say exactly where, since you didn't describe what you did in the
needed detail.

You can also try adding this at the end of ~/.bashrc

         PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin
         EXPORT PATH

Then log out completely as that user and log in afresh from a vt or ssh
connection or xdm screen (or other variant).

>PS: The above path statement comes from a MD 9.1 notebook. I have Md 9.1 also
>set up on a desktop for testing. It has the same user path errors (to me).
[old stuff deleted]

-

* Re: path Setting
@ 2003-07-13 17:41         ` Hal MacArgle
From: Hal MacArgle @ 2003-07-13 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Roberts - SOTL; +Cc: linux-newbie

On 07-13, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:

> but when I close the terminal and reopen the terminal to check the path has
> reurned to its original form.
>
> Would some one please enlightnment me as to the corrrect procedure for
> changing this path.

	Greetings: Haven't been following the thread but was
wondering if your distribution uses '/etc/profile'... On my machines,
what I enter as environment variables are global.. Just a thought.

    Hal - in Terra Alta, WV - Slackware GNU/Linux 8.0   (2.4.18)
                Proprietary  Formats  Unacceptable
.
-

* Re: path Setting
@ 2003-07-13 17:53           ` Frank Roberts - SOTL
From: Frank Roberts - SOTL @ 2003-07-13 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski, Linux Newbie

Hi all and Ray

HELP please
I have about 8 books with some info in it, none complete, and a few web sites
but I am still not getting it.

THis is wxactly what I did.
Opened KDE Konsole in home directory

Typed @ > echo $PATH
Got -> /usr//bin:/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:
     /usr/games:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin

Copied /usr//bin:/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:
     /usr/games:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin

Typed @ > PATH= {Copied PATH}

Edited {Copied Path} to be
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:
     /usr/games:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin
     {Setting // to be / & :: to be : }

Typed @ > echo $PATH
Got -> /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:
     /usr/games:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin

Ok so far I think.

Next
Typed @ > EXPORT PATH
Got -> bash: EXPORT: command not found

Closed out of termal; reopened terminal
Did echo $PATH
Got Original PATH

Is this procedure incorrect or what?
Can I not set the PATH by this procedure?

Thanks
Frank

@ 2003-07-13 18:28             ` Brian P. Bilbrey
From: Brian P. Bilbrey @ 2003-07-13 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Roberts - SOTL; +Cc: Linux Newbie

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 13:53, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
 [snip]
> Is this procedure incorrect or what?
> Can I not set the PATH by this procedure?

Yes, it's incorrect. No, you can't set the path "PERMANENTLY" by that
procedure. If you had edited your ~/.bashrc as suggested by Ray, then
you would be happy now.

However, please be aware, if you set and export the path in a terminal
session, it does not carry over to any other terminal session. By
setting the path in ~/.bashrc (assuming you're running bash), it will be
sourced by every terminal session as it opens.

Extra credit - export is a command, and as with most other things *NIX,
case sensitive. EXPORT is *not* a command, export is.

SO... If I open a terminal window, and add/export /usr/local/bob/bin to
my path thusly:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bob/bin

Then going forward IN THAT TERMINAL SESSION, /usr/local/bob/bin is part
of my path. That PATH is *lost* the moment I close that terminal
session. If I want to have /usr/local/bob/bin in my path every time I
open a terminal window or console, then I will put that command in my
~/.bashrc, at the bottom.

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bob/bin

Then I will logout and log back in, to take advantage of the change that
I have just made to the ~/.bashrc configuration file, now and going
forward.

HTH,

.brian

--

@ 2003-07-13 19:29             ` Frank Roberts - SOTL
From: Frank Roberts - SOTL @ 2003-07-13 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski, Linux Newbie

Hi All and Especially Ray

Please disregard previous request.

This is more complex than I thought.

Sorry but I was on the right track when I was attempting to identify the
correct files for the path statements.

Yes there is more than one.
Now "How they interlate?" and "What part is valid?" are excellent questions.

Thanks
Frank

@ 2003-07-14 20:22           ` Frank Roberts - SOTL
From: Frank Roberts - SOTL @ 2003-07-14 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: haltec; +Cc: linux-newbie

On Sunday 13 July 2003 13:41, Hal MacArgle wrote:
> On 07-13, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> > but when I close the terminal and reopen the terminal to check the path
> > has reurned to its original form.
> >
> > Would some one please enlightnment me as to the corrrect procedure for
> > changing this path.
>
> 	Greetings: Haven't been following the thread but was
> wondering if your distribution uses '/etc/profile'... On my machines,
> what I enter as environment variables are global.. Just a thought.
>
>     Hal - in Terra Alta, WV - Slackware GNU/Linux 8.0   (2.4.18)
>                 Proprietary  Formats  Unacceptable
> .
Hi Haltec

As with manythings I do I started off doing one thins and continue into
something else.

In this case I started out trying to add to and clean up what I though were a
few items which I did not like in my PATH statement.

I now am trying to figure out where my PATHS statements are.
First I use a plural for statements because there appears to be quite a few of
them in Mandrake 9.1.
How many I am not certain I am not sure of.

I am definite that there is a system statement that root adds to for foots
usage. Now there could be others in this system addition mode beside root
that I do not know nor am I sure they exist.

I think that there is another general statement for users. This thinking comes
about since I can not explain // and :: in my posted statement except by this
but then again I am not sure as I have not found any real evidence in a file
of such.

I do know that there are additions added to what appears to be the user
general statement by each individual user. I have found these files.

Also, I do know that this is quite complex. I have records of that.

Where all this stands currently is I am confused, flustered, and bewildered ie
situation normal.

Thanks
Frank

-