* su fails
@ 2003-07-14 11:04 Andrew Langdon-Davies
From: Andrew Langdon-Davies @ 2003-07-14 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

As of a few days ago, when I do 'su' and enter the password at the prompt I
get turned down with the reply 'Sorry'. I can login normally as either root
or normal user. I have tried changing passwords but it makes no difference.
It happens in text mode and with X running. This is Slackware 9.0 with
windowmaker.
Is it possible something got messed up when I tried (unsuccesfully) to
install Alsa the other day? I compiled, installed and removed several
packets, including an rpm packet of modules using the nodeps option.
Another thing that stopped working at about the same time was Lilo, which
was on the root partition and now will only work from anywhere but there.
From the root partition now I get the Lilo/Windows menu followed by a blank
screen if I select Lilo. Windows works OK. I have no problems if I install
Lilo on the MBR or a floppy.
So far, everything else seems to be working all right.
Sorry if this sounds a bit vague but I'm rather mystified myself.
TIA
Andrew
-

* Re: su fails
@ 2003-07-15 18:08 beolach
From: beolach @ 2003-07-15 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

--- Ray Olszewski <ray@comarre.com> wrote:

>>I thought reinstalling shadow had put everything right, but there are
>>still hiccups. For example, although I can now su again --that is, it
>>now
>>recognises the password-- if I give the wrong password I still get
>>just 'sorry'.
>
>I presume you mean "Sorry." This is not a quibble; it is an example of >the
>kind of thing (a capitalization difference, and a missing period) you >look
>for to spot a (clumsy) trojan. But whether your result matches what >Richard
>and I expect matters less than whether it has changed from what it used >to
>do (or, if you don't remember, what a similar Slackware system normally
>does). Linux systems do vary in their details, and I don't run >Slackware
>here, so expecting my responses to match yours *exactly* is too much to >ask
>... certainly not a justification for reinstalling the OS.

I am currently usung Slackware 9.0, and on my (I'm pretty sure)
uncomprommised system a su failure only outputs "Sorry."  So I think
that this is normal for Slackware.

My brother is having a vaguely similar problem to this, but he is
unable to sign in as any non-root user, either through normal login,
su, or anything else.  I don't remember all of the details, and he
refuses to stop playing games (under M$ Windows :( ), so I can't really
ask for much help.  Once I can get the details from him, I'll start a
new thread.

Thank's in advance,
Conway S. Smith