* Cannot login as non-root user
@ 2003-07-15 23:21 beolach
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: beolach @ 2003-07-15 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

On my brother's computer, running Slackware 9.0, we have just recently
begun experiencing problems signing in as non-root users, either from
normal login, su, su -, or ssh.  After entering username & password,
login prints the error "Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied"
and returns to login prompt. Su & su - from root prints the same error,
"Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied" and returns to the root
shell.  Ssh gives "/bin/bash: Permission denied" and connection lost.
Root can sign in with no problems at all.

The first thing I did was check the pemissions on /bin/bash, and it
is executable for everyone: -rwxr-xr-x.  We've also un/reinstalled
the bash package (we've tried the bash packages from both the
slackware-9.0 and slackware-current distributions; bash-2.05b-i386-2
and bash-2.05b-i486-3), with no change.  I've also removed & readded
the user accounts in /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow, both with vipw and
userdel/useradd; again with no result.

We started experiencing this quite suddenly, while we were trying to
get X setup with 3d acceleration for my brothers ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
(which is still not working, anyone here have experience?), and I am
have no idea what started the login problems, because obviously X has
nothing to do with login, and we really weren't doing anything else.

Any help resolving this is greatly appreciated,
Conway S. Smith

* RE: Cannot login as non-root user
@ 2003-07-15 23:48 ` Puneet B
From: Puneet B @ 2003-07-15 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

> On my brother's computer, running Slackware 9.0, we have just recently
> begun experiencing problems signing in as non-root users, either from
> normal login, su, su -, or ssh.  After entering username & password,
> login prints the error "Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied"
> and returns to login prompt. Su & su - from root prints the same error,
> "Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied" and returns to the root
> shell.  Ssh gives "/bin/bash: Permission denied" and connection lost.
> Root can sign in with no problems at all.
>
> The first thing I did was check the pemissions on /bin/bash, and it
> is executable for everyone: -rwxr-xr-x.  We've also un/reinstalled
> the bash package (we've tried the bash packages from both the
> slackware-9.0 and slackware-current distributions; bash-2.05b-i386-2
> and bash-2.05b-i486-3), with no change.  I've also removed & readded
> the user accounts in /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow, both with vipw and
> userdel/useradd; again with no result.
>
> We started experiencing this quite suddenly, while we were trying to
> get X setup with 3d acceleration for my brothers ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
> (which is still not working, anyone here have experience?), and I am
> have no idea what started the login problems, because obviously X has
> nothing to do with login, and we really weren't doing anything else.

Check the permissions of / and /bin. These might be set to 700. Could also
be an issue with library permissions (see this:
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue52/okopnik.html)

Puneet

-

* Re: Cannot login as non-root user
@ 2003-07-16  0:30 ` Alan Bort
From: Alan Bort @ 2003-07-16  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: beolach; +Cc: Linux Newbie

do you have execute permissions for /bin/???

drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 may 17  2002 bin

something like like that shouldbe...

Just TOL

El mar, 15-07-2003 a las 19:21, beolach@juno.com escribió:
> On my brother's computer, running Slackware 9.0, we have just recently
> begun experiencing problems signing in as non-root users, either from
> normal login, su, su -, or ssh.  After entering username & password,
> login prints the error "Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied"
> and returns to login prompt. Su & su - from root prints the same error,
> "Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied" and returns to the root
> shell.  Ssh gives "/bin/bash: Permission denied" and connection lost.
> Root can sign in with no problems at all.
>
> The first thing I did was check the pemissions on /bin/bash, and it
> is executable for everyone: -rwxr-xr-x.  We've also un/reinstalled
> the bash package (we've tried the bash packages from both the
> slackware-9.0 and slackware-current distributions; bash-2.05b-i386-2
> and bash-2.05b-i486-3), with no change.  I've also removed & readded
> the user accounts in /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow, both with vipw and
> userdel/useradd; again with no result.
>
> We started experiencing this quite suddenly, while we were trying to
> get X setup with 3d acceleration for my brothers ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
> (which is still not working, anyone here have experience?), and I am
> have no idea what started the login problems, because obviously X has
> nothing to do with login, and we really weren't doing anything else.
>
> Any help resolving this is greatly appreciated,
> Conway S. Smith

Alan Bort
Personal:	+595 (0)971 333 101
Fax: 		+595 (0)21 606 967
ICQ-UIN:	73799272
Linux Registered User 298277 -Country Manager- [http://counter.li.org]
[ http://www.linuxquestions.org ] Username: Ciccio
[ http://es.tldp.org ]

* Re: Cannot login as non-root user
@ 2003-07-16  2:25 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2003-07-16  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

See below.

At 11:21 PM 7/15/2003 +0000, beolach@juno.com wrote:

>On my brother's computer, running Slackware 9.0, we have just recently
>begun experiencing problems signing in as non-root users, either from
>normal login, su, su -, or ssh.  After entering username & password,
>login prints the error "Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied"
>and returns to login prompt. Su & su - from root prints the same error,
>"Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied" and returns to the root
>shell.  Ssh gives "/bin/bash: Permission denied" and connection lost.
>Root can sign in with no problems at all.
>
>The first thing I did was check the pemissions on /bin/bash, and it
>is executable for everyone: -rwxr-xr-x.  We've also un/reinstalled
>the bash package (we've tried the bash packages from both the
>slackware-9.0 and slackware-current distributions; bash-2.05b-i386-2
>and bash-2.05b-i486-3), with no change.  I've also removed & readded
>the user accounts in /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow, both with vipw and
>userdel/useradd; again with no result.
>
>We started experiencing this quite suddenly, while we were trying to
>get X setup with 3d acceleration for my brothers ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
>(which is still not working, anyone here have experience?), and I am
>have no idea what started the login problems, because obviously X has
>nothing to do with login, and we really weren't doing anything else.
>
>Any help resolving this is greatly appreciated,
>Conway S. Smith

Basic questions:

1. What is root's shell? Is it /bin/bash or /bin/sh? (If the latter, is
/bin/sh a symlink to /bin/bash? It usually is but might not be in your case.)

2. What are permissions on /bin? They should be 755 (rwxr-xr-x).

3. This feels like a long shot, but might there be a permissions problem
with one of the shared libraries bash uses? Check your system with "ldd
/bin/bash". Mine shows these libraries involved:

         autovcr@kuryakin:~$ ldd /bin/bash
                         libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x40018000)
                         libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40055000)
                         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40058000)

4. Another long shot: how full is /var ? /tmp ? / ? Might bash be unable to
create a log or scratch file, or login a wtmp entry, as an ordinary user
that it can as root (since root can use reserved areas of filesystems)?

5. And another: might some filesystem be mounted read only?

6. This sounds very non-Linux, but ... have you rebooted? It's just barely
possible that some kernel pointer got corrupted somehow and you need to
reload a fresh kernel to get the permissions read properly.

If none of this gets you anywhere, and no one else comes up with something
better, next time tell us in more detail waht you have been doing to get X
working. Just editing XF86Config-4? Or fiddlign with other parts of the
system too?

-

* Re: Cannot login as non-root user
@ 2003-07-16  9:49 ` Michael Scottaline
From: Michael Scottaline @ 2003-07-16  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 03:01:20 GMT
beolach@juno.com insightfully noted:

>>Basic questions:
>>
>>1. What is root's shell? Is it /bin/bash or /bin/sh? (If the latter, is
>>/bin/sh a symlink to /bin/bash? It usually is but might not be in your
>case.)
>
>It is /bin/bash (and /bin/sh is symlink to same).
>
>>2. What are permissions on /bin? They should be 755 (rwxr-xr-x).
>
>They are. (As are permisions on /, suggested by someone else).
>
>>3. This feels like a long shot, but might there be a permissions >problem
>>with one of the shared libraries bash uses? Check your system with "ldd
>>/bin/bash". Mine shows these libraries involved:
>>
>>      autovcr@kuryakin:~$ ldd /bin/bash
>>              libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x40018000)
>>              libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40055000)
>>              libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40058000)
>>              /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
>
>root@IG-88:~# ldd /bin/bash
>        libtermcap.so.2 => /lib/libtermcap.so.2 (0x40025000)
>        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x4002a000)
>        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4002d000)
>        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
>Permissions on all are 755.
>
>>4. Another long shot: how full is /var ? /tmp ? / ? Might bash be >unable to
>
>>create a log or scratch file, or login a wtmp entry, as an ordinary >user
>>that it can as root (since root can use reserved areas of filesystems)?
>
>Only have one filesystem, /, wich is 11% full (2.7GB of 22GB).
>
>>5. And another: might some filesystem be mounted read only?
>
>Nope.
>
>>6. This sounds very non-Linux, but ... have you rebooted? It's just >barely
>>possible that some kernel pointer got corrupted somehow and you need to
>>reload a fresh kernel to get the permissions read properly.
>
>Yes we have. He dual-boots M$ Windows, and usually plays games under
>Windows for most of the time he's on his computer.
>
>>If none of this gets you anywhere, and no one else comes up with >something
>>better, next time tell us in more detail waht you have been doing to >get X
>>working. Just editing XF86Config-4? Or fiddlign with other parts of the
>>system too?
>
>Mainly editing XF86Config-4.  Also attempting to install the ATI Radeon
>drivers off of ATI's site.  This might be somewhing to worry about, as
>the drivers were only available in RPMs, and Slackware doesn't nativly
>support RPMs.  I used Alien to convert it to a Slackware tgz package,
>and it seemed to install fine.
>
>Just solved it.  Thought popped into my head, what's the permission on
>the /lib directory? 700.  Changed to 755, everything works fine.
I love happy endings.  ;o)
This entire brief thread was full of good trouble shooting advice.  A real
keeper.
Glad you got it all solved, Conway
Best,
Mike

--
"The man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30
years of his life"

* Re: Cannot login as non-root user
@ 2003-07-16  3:01 beolach
From: beolach @ 2003-07-16  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

>Basic questions:
>
>1. What is root's shell? Is it /bin/bash or /bin/sh? (If the latter, is
>/bin/sh a symlink to /bin/bash? It usually is but might not be in your >case.)

It is /bin/bash (and /bin/sh is symlink to same).

>2. What are permissions on /bin? They should be 755 (rwxr-xr-x).

They are. (As are permisions on /, suggested by someone else).

>3. This feels like a long shot, but might there be a permissions >problem
>with one of the shared libraries bash uses? Check your system with "ldd
>/bin/bash". Mine shows these libraries involved:
>
>      autovcr@kuryakin:~$ ldd /bin/bash
>              libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x40018000)
>              libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40055000)
>              libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40058000)
>              /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

root@IG-88:~# ldd /bin/bash
        libtermcap.so.2 => /lib/libtermcap.so.2 (0x40025000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x4002a000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4002d000)
Permissions on all are 755.

>4. Another long shot: how full is /var ? /tmp ? / ? Might bash be >unable to
>create a log or scratch file, or login a wtmp entry, as an ordinary >user
>that it can as root (since root can use reserved areas of filesystems)?

Only have one filesystem, /, wich is 11% full (2.7GB of 22GB).

>5. And another: might some filesystem be mounted read only?

Nope.

>6. This sounds very non-Linux, but ... have you rebooted? It's just >barely
>possible that some kernel pointer got corrupted somehow and you need to
>reload a fresh kernel to get the permissions read properly.

Yes we have. He dual-boots M$ Windows, and usually plays games under
Windows for most of the time he's on his computer.

>If none of this gets you anywhere, and no one else comes up with >something
>better, next time tell us in more detail waht you have been doing to >get X
>working. Just editing XF86Config-4? Or fiddlign with other parts of the
>system too?

Mainly editing XF86Config-4.  Also attempting to install the ATI Radeon
drivers off of ATI's site.  This might be somewhing to worry about, as
the drivers were only available in RPMs, and Slackware doesn't nativly
support RPMs.  I used Alien to convert it to a Slackware tgz package,
and it seemed to install fine.

Just solved it.  Thought popped into my head, what's the permission on
the /lib directory? 700.  Changed to 755, everything works fine.

Thank's for the help everyone,
Conway S. Smith