From: Ray Olszewski <ray@comarre.com>
To: linux-newbie@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Can't write VFAT filesystem
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:16:49 -0800	[thread overview]

At 06:33 PM 11/4/2003 +0600, Amin wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've set up my /etc/fstab file as usual, so that I can access my Windows
>C: and D: drives, as shown in the attachment.
>
>I can mount/unmount both these drives and read them.  I can also write to
>the /mnt/c filesystem.  But for some reason I can't write to the /mnt/d
>filesystem.  Specifically:
>
>$ whoami
>yawar
>$ pwd
>/mnt/d/My Documents
>$ touch file
>touch: creating `file': Permission denied
>$

Well ... what does "ls -l /mnt/d/My\ Documents" tell you about ownership of
and permissions for that directory? Same questions for "ls -l /mnt/d".
Checking this info is the obvious place to start ... so basic, really, that
I wouldn't check anything else until I had verified that the values
reported here were sensible.

Am I correct is assuming that you (that is, userid yawar) own the partition
/mnt/d ? If so, and you mount the filesystem from userid yawar, it should
give you (yawar) write access. But since the fstab entries have both
"owner" -AND- "user" attributes set, it is unclear on what basis you
(yawar) are mounting the partition.

It is quite easy to get a detail wrong when working with fat and vfat, so
you should double-check all the basics.

-