* Can't write VFAT filesystem
@ 2003-11-04 12:33 Amin
From: Amin @ 2003-11-04 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

I've set up my /etc/fstab file as usual, so that I can
access my Windows C: and D: drives, as shown in the attachment.

I can mount/unmount both these drives and read them.  I can
also write to the /mnt/c filesystem.  But for some reason I
can't write to the /mnt/d filesystem.  Specifically:

$ whoami
yawar
$ pwd
/mnt/d/My Documents
$ touch file
touch: creating `file': Permission denied
$

Can some kind soul tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Yawar Amin

[-- Attachment #2: fstab --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 723 bytes --]

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda4               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,user,unhide,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/hda1		/mnt/c			vfat	noauto,owner,user 0 0
/dev/hda5		/mnt/d			vfat	noauto,owner,user 0 0

* Re: Can't write VFAT filesystem
@ 2003-11-04 17:16 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2003-11-04 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 06:33 PM 11/4/2003 +0600, Amin wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've set up my /etc/fstab file as usual, so that I can access my Windows
>C: and D: drives, as shown in the attachment.
>
>I can mount/unmount both these drives and read them.  I can also write to
>the /mnt/c filesystem.  But for some reason I can't write to the /mnt/d
>filesystem.  Specifically:
>
>$ whoami
>yawar
>$ pwd
>/mnt/d/My Documents
>$ touch file
>touch: creating `file': Permission denied
>$

Well ... what does "ls -l /mnt/d/My\ Documents" tell you about ownership of
and permissions for that directory? Same questions for "ls -l /mnt/d".
Checking this info is the obvious place to start ... so basic, really, that
I wouldn't check anything else until I had verified that the values
reported here were sensible.

Am I correct is assuming that you (that is, userid yawar) own the partition
/mnt/d ? If so, and you mount the filesystem from userid yawar, it should
give you (yawar) write access. But since the fstab entries have both
"owner" -AND- "user" attributes set, it is unclear on what basis you
(yawar) are mounting the partition.

It is quite easy to get a detail wrong when working with fat and vfat, so
you should double-check all the basics.

>Can some kind soul tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>
>Thanks,
>Yawar Amin
>

>LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
>LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
>none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
>none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
>none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
>/dev/hda4               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
>/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
>noauto,owner,user,unhide,kudzu,ro 0 0
>/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
>/dev/hda1               /mnt/c                  vfat    noauto,owner,user 0 0
>/dev/hda5               /mnt/d                  vfat    noauto,owner,user 0 0

-

* Re: Can't write VFAT filesystem
@ 2003-11-05 12:20   ` Amin
From: Amin @ 2003-11-05 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> Well ... what does "ls -l /mnt/d/My\ Documents" tell you about ownership
> of and permissions for that directory? Same questions for "ls -l
> /mnt/d". Checking this info is the obvious place to start ... so basic,
> really, that I wouldn't check anything else until I had verified that
> the values reported here were sensible.

Thanks, this worked.  Turned out this was a permissions
problem after all.  Funny thing, I never think about
permissions until I don't get them!

Anyway, thanks very much.

Yawar Amin

-

* RE: Can't write VFAT filesystem
@ 2003-11-05  0:54 james niland
From: james niland @ 2003-11-05  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Yawar wrote :

I've set up my /etc/fstab file as usual, so that I can
access my Windows C: and D: drives, as shown in the attachment.

I can mount/unmount both these drives and read them.  I can
also write to the /mnt/c filesystem.  But for some reason I
can't write to the /mnt/d filesystem.  Specifically:

$ whoami
yawar
$ pwd
/mnt/d/My Documents
$ touch file
touch: creating `file': Permission denied
$

Can some kind soul tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Yawar Amin
******************

When you mount a fat partition under linux you mount a file
system that doesn't have inbuilt support for the permissions for
each file that eg ext2 supports.
Because of  that you can give extra options when mounting fat
partitions with extra options.
Those options are shown in the man mount pages under the vfat
options section.

The relevant bit is this :

  uid=value and gid=value
              Set the owner and group of all files. (Default:
the
              uid and gid of the current process.)

       umask=value
              Set the umask (the bitmask of the permissions
that
              are  not  present). The default is the umask of
the
              current process.  The value is given in octal.

So when you mount a fat file system ALL files will have the same
owner,group and permissions !
If you don't want to use the permissions carried over from your
current user/process you'd use umask=value, eg umask=777 would
give everyone full read/write access.

So a changed entry in your fstab might look like this
/dev/hda5		/mnt/d			vfat	noauto,users,umask=777 0 0
if you want everyone to be able to mount it and have full access
to it.

cheers
James

* Re: Can't write VFAT filesystem
@ 2003-11-04 16:36 Dennis Schridde
From: Dennis Schridde @ 2003-11-04 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

> I've set up my /etc/fstab file as usual, so that I can
> access my Windows C: and D: drives, as shown in the attachment.
>
> I can mount/unmount both these drives and read them.  I can
> also write to the /mnt/c filesystem.  But for some reason I
> can't write to the /mnt/d filesystem.  Specifically:

Perhaps your D: - drive is NTFS, not VFAT?
I think the Kernelmodule for writing on NTFS is "dangerous" at the moment, so
not installed by the most distributions...
(if you have installed Windows XP, this is the standard (like on my own
system))

HTH,
Dennis Schridde

-