* Re: [Powertop] Wishlist: print the commands executed by 'toggle tunables'
@ 2012-07-17 19:13 Richard Neill
From: Richard Neill @ 2012-07-17 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

Dear All,

I wonder if I might make a request for a new feature for powertop.

When I run it, I can toggle various tunable options from within the
Powertop interface. As I understand it, the effect of these to invoke an
underlying system command such as:
   echo value > /sys/device/power/something

But powertop never actually tells me what these commands are. This means
I can't easily append them to my own startup scripts, or make them
persistent across reboots.

So my wish is as follows:

When powertop actually modifies the system, it should print the
commands, to stderr, when it exits.

Thanks very much,

Richard

P.S. Powertop 2.0 also has no manpage. May I recommend help2man.

* Re: [Powertop] Wishlist: print the commands executed by 'toggle tunables'
@ 2012-07-17 20:30 Sergey Senozhatsky
From: Sergey Senozhatsky @ 2012-07-17 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

On (07/17/12 21:11), Richard Neill wrote:
> >>When I run it, I can toggle various tunable options from within the
> >>Powertop interface. As I understand it, the effect of these to invoke an
> >>underlying system command such as:
> >>   echo value > /sys/device/power/something
>

> >on the normal screen, there is not really enough real estate to put the
> >full command there.
> >however, if you run the --html report, it will give you these commands!
> >
> >(the html page has a lot more space to put stuff)
> >

> Dear Arjan,
>
> Thanks for your reply - that is indeed helpful.
>
> I see what you mean that there is less space on the ncurses gui. But
> using the html report is rather "non-discoverable".
>
> For maximum friendliness, might I suggest:
>
> 1. When the user exits the ncurses gui, a log of the commands that
> were actually invoked should be printed to stderr.
>
> 2. The command that was just run could perhaps be put into the status
> bar at the bottom of the ncurses gui?

Hello,

not all toggle actions are just one liners.

	-ss

* Re: [Powertop] Wishlist: print the commands executed by 'toggle tunables'
@ 2012-07-17 20:11 Richard Neill
From: Richard Neill @ 2012-07-17 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop

>> When I run it, I can toggle various tunable options from within the
>> Powertop interface. As I understand it, the effect of these to invoke an
>> underlying system command such as:
>>    echo value > /sys/device/power/something

> on the normal screen, there is not really enough real estate to put the
> full command there.
> however, if you run the --html report, it will give you these commands!
>
> (the html page has a lot more space to put stuff)

Dear Arjan,

Thanks for your reply - that is indeed helpful.

I see what you mean that there is less space on the ncurses gui. But
using the html report is rather "non-discoverable".

For maximum friendliness, might I suggest:

1. When the user exits the ncurses gui, a log of the commands that were
actually invoked should be printed to stderr.

2. The command that was just run could perhaps be put into the status
bar at the bottom of the ncurses gui?

Thanks

Richard

* Re: [Powertop] Wishlist: print the commands executed by 'toggle tunables'
@ 2012-07-17 19:44 Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2012-07-17 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: powertop