* Do need keep mail in thread when sending a new version patch?
@ 2012-07-23  5:53 Du, ChangbinX
From: Du, ChangbinX @ 2012-07-23  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi, developers!
	I have a question about sending patch: If my patch have a new version,
do I need set "--in-reply-to" option so keep them in the same thread when
sending it? And in which cases should "--in-reply-to" option be set? Thanks!

Best Regards
Du, Changbin

* Re: Do need keep mail in thread when sending a new version patch?
@ 2012-07-23 11:34 ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh @ 2012-07-23 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Du, ChangbinX; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Du, ChangbinX wrote:
> Hi, developers!
> 	I have a question about sending patch: If my patch have a new version,
> do I need set "--in-reply-to" option so keep them in the same thread when
> sending it? And in which cases should "--in-reply-to" option be set? Thanks!

Yes, please do it when possible.  It groups patches nicely in theaded email
readers, and it makes it easier for people who are interested in the subject
to find the new version of your patchset (and all individual patches that
are part of the same patchset), AND for people who are not interested to
skip the entire thing.

  Henrique Holschuh

* Re: Do need keep mail in thread when sending a new version patch?
@ 2012-07-23 17:28   ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2012-07-23 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh; +Cc: Du, ChangbinX, linux-kernel

On 07/23/2012 04:34 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Du, ChangbinX wrote:
>> Hi, developers!
>> 	I have a question about sending patch: If my patch have a new version,
>> do I need set "--in-reply-to" option so keep them in the same thread when
>> sending it? And in which cases should "--in-reply-to" option be set? Thanks!
>
> Yes, please do it when possible.  It groups patches nicely in theaded email
> readers, and it makes it easier for people who are interested in the subject
> to find the new version of your patchset (and all individual patches that
> are part of the same patchset), AND for people who are not interested to
> skip the entire thing.

Please compare to a proposed patch:

  http://marc.info/?l=linux-doc&m=133539116205348&w=2

--
~Randy

* Re: Do need keep mail in thread when sending a new version patch?
@ 2012-07-23 18:43     ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh @ 2012-07-23 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap; +Cc: Du, ChangbinX, linux-kernel

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 07/23/2012 04:34 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Du, ChangbinX wrote:
> >> Hi, developers!
> >> 	I have a question about sending patch: If my patch have a new version,
> >> do I need set "--in-reply-to" option so keep them in the same thread when
> >> sending it? And in which cases should "--in-reply-to" option be set? Thanks!
> >
> > Yes, please do it when possible.  It groups patches nicely in theaded email
> > readers, and it makes it easier for people who are interested in the subject
> > to find the new version of your patchset (and all individual patches that
> > are part of the same patchset), AND for people who are not interested to
> > skip the entire thing.
>

> Please compare to a proposed patch:
>
>   http://marc.info/?l=linux-doc&m=133539116205348&w=2

This one (referenced by the commit changelog of the above) seems to be a
better explanation:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2012-April/096236.html

Anyway, I stand corrected.

  Henrique Holschuh

* Re: Do need keep mail in thread when sending a new version patch?
@ 2012-07-23 20:43       ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2012-07-23 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh; +Cc: Du, ChangbinX, linux-kernel

On 07/23/2012 11:43 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, please do it when possible.  It groups patches nicely in theaded email
>>> readers, and it makes it easier for people who are interested in the subject
>>> to find the new version of your patchset (and all individual patches that
>>> are part of the same patchset), AND for people who are not interested to
>>> skip the entire thing.
>>

>> Please compare to a proposed patch:
>>
>>   http://marc.info/?l=linux-doc&m=133539116205348&w=2
>
> This one (referenced by the commit changelog of the above) seems to be a
> better explanation:
>
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2012-April/096236.html
>
> Anyway, I stand corrected.

Well, that patch isn't merged into mainline yet, right?
and it is only one opinion.

I don't mind seeing the new versions of a patch sent as
replies to older versions, so I don't see a need to codify it.

--
~Randy

* RE: Do need keep mail in thread when sending a new version patch?
@ 2012-07-24  1:57         ` Du, ChangbinX
From: Du, ChangbinX @ 2012-07-24  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh; +Cc: linux-kernel

Thank you all. Maybe both of the two ideas are acceptable.
Seeing your discussion, I prefer to group patches in thread if thread is
not heavy, else I would like to start a new thread.

Thanks again.
Du, Changbin