* OpenEmbedded website
@ 2012-07-27 11:47 Andrea Adami
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrea Adami @ 2012-07-27 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi all,

after one year, I'd consider the transition to the oe-core development
model concluded.
Though, most people visiting the OpenEmbedded site do come on IRC or on the
ML asking about oe-classic.

Unfortunately, the infos and the whole wiki are misgiving: there should be
immediate links to the oe-core model, to the layers, to the Yocto
documentation.

In my opinion, we should archive the old site and restart from scratch.

How would you improve the current (embarrassing) situation?

Cheers

Andrea

* Re: OpenEmbedded website
@ 2012-07-27 12:19 ` Frans Meulenbroeks
From: Frans Meulenbroeks @ 2012-07-27 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

2012/7/27 Andrea Adami <andrea.adami@gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> after one year, I'd consider the transition to the oe-core development
> model concluded.
> Though, most people visiting the OpenEmbedded site do come on IRC or on the
> ML asking about oe-classic.
>
> Unfortunately, the infos and the whole wiki are misgiving: there should be
> immediate links to the oe-core model, to the layers, to the Yocto
> documentation.
>
> In my opinion, we should archive the old site and restart from scratch.
>
> How would you improve the current (embarrassing) situation?
>
> Cheers
>
> Andrea
> _
>
> Good plan.
What I also see is that people stop by asking about opencv and dsplink etc.
Often triggered by this page:
http://code.google.com/p/opencv-dsp-acceleration/wiki/Instruction_For_Building_Examples
That page is still for oe-classic and probably quite outdated.
No idea what to do about that.

Frans.

* Re: OpenEmbedded website
@ 2012-07-27 12:41 ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2012-07-27 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 07/27/2012 07:47 AM, Andrea Adami wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after one year, I'd consider the transition to the oe-core development
> model concluded.
> Though, most people visiting the OpenEmbedded site do come on IRC or on the
> ML asking about oe-classic.
>
> Unfortunately, the infos and the whole wiki are misgiving: there should be
> immediate links to the oe-core model, to the layers, to the Yocto
> documentation.
>
> In my opinion, we should archive the old site and restart from scratch.
>
> How would you improve the current (embarrassing) situation?

A good start would be replace the curretn getting started page with the
oe-core version. Getting started does try to steer people to the oe-core
version, but you are right, it is time to start getting all the
oe-classic documentation in a place that is harder to find and mark it
as obsolete.

Philip

> Cheers
>
> Andrea

* Re: OpenEmbedded website
@ 2012-07-27 12:43 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2012-07-27 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Friday 27 July 2012 13:47:32 Andrea Adami wrote:
> after one year, I'd consider the transition to the oe-core development
> model concluded.
> Though, most people visiting the OpenEmbedded site do come on IRC or on the
> ML asking about oe-classic.
>
> Unfortunately, the infos and the whole wiki are misgiving: there should be
> immediate links to the oe-core model, to the layers, to the Yocto
> documentation.
>
> In my opinion, we should archive the old site and restart from scratch.
>
> How would you improve the current (embarrassing) situation?

Actually the more I think about it the more I agree we should just start from
scratch - move the current one to oldwiki.openembedded.org and start a brand
new one; move over content where appropriate and create new stuff for
everything else. Not only will it clear stale things out, but it should create
some impetus to fill the void with new up-to-date content.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: OpenEmbedded website
@ 2012-07-27 12:58   ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2012-07-27 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 07/27/2012 08:43 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Friday 27 July 2012 13:47:32 Andrea Adami wrote:
>> after one year, I'd consider the transition to the oe-core development
>> model concluded.
>> Though, most people visiting the OpenEmbedded site do come on IRC or on the
>> ML asking about oe-classic.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the infos and the whole wiki are misgiving: there should be
>> immediate links to the oe-core model, to the layers, to the Yocto
>> documentation.
>>
>> In my opinion, we should archive the old site and restart from scratch.
>>
>> How would you improve the current (embarrassing) situation?
>
> Actually the more I think about it the more I agree we should just start from
> scratch - move the current one to oldwiki.openembedded.org and start a brand
> new one; move over content where appropriate and create new stuff for
> everything else. Not only will it clear stale things out, but it should create
> some impetus to fill the void with new up-to-date content.

I have no objection to starting from scratch. But, to do this, we need
people to commit to working on the wiki for a few weeks to get things
back up to speed.

Philip