* Quick CentOS/RHEL question ...
@ 2012-07-31 22:17 Joe Landman
       [not found] ` <CAMm-wcKuD98z=7n=VvmEcRY6HduKKBrJ9bMyFKmN2-3VP51iLA@mail.gmail.com>
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Joe Landman @ 2012-07-31 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi folks

   I was struggling and failing to get Ceph properly built/installed for
CentOS 6 (and 5) last week.  Is this simply not a recommended platform?
  Please advise.  Thanks!

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO

* Re: Quick CentOS/RHEL question ...
       [not found] ` <CAMm-wcKuD98z=7n=VvmEcRY6HduKKBrJ9bMyFKmN2-3VP51iLA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-08-01  0:44   ` 袁冬
From: 袁冬 @ 2012-08-01  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Ceph can work well on CentOS6.2 including File Access and RBD while
radowsgw is not still under our testing.

To install ceph on CentOS6, the main problem is the difference of the
packages' names between CentOS and Ubuntu, 'yum search ' may help. and
some times, 'ldconfig' is needed after the 'make install'

On 1 August 2012 06:17, Joe Landman <landman@scalableinformatics.com> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
>   I was struggling and failing to get Ceph properly built/installed for
> CentOS 6 (and 5) last week.  Is this simply not a recommended platform?
> Please advise.  Thanks!
>

> --
> Joseph Landman, Ph.D
> Founder and CEO
> Scalable Informatics Inc.
> email: landman@scalableinformatics.com
> web  : http://scalableinformatics.com
>        http://scalableinformatics.com/sicluster
> phone: +1 734 786 8423 x121
> fax  : +1 866 888 3112
> cell : +1 734 612 4615

袁冬
Tel:13573888215
Email:yuandong1222@gmail.com
QQ:10200230
MSN:yuandong1222@hotmail.com

--

@ 2012-08-01  0:48 ` Ryan Nicholson
From: Ryan Nicholson @ 2012-08-01  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: landman, ceph-devel

Joseph:

I happen to be using strictly CentOS 6.2 x64 - as this is supported by Dell and their openmanage packages. There are several libraries that you will need to download and compile on top of what is already in the CentOS Repos.

Here's the list of what I had to build:

* gperftools-2.0.tar.gz - http://code.google.com/p/gperftools/downloads/list
* cryptopp561.zip - http://www.cryptopp.com/
* libunwind-0.99.tar.gz - http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/libunwind/
And, of course I'm using Ceph, Argonaut revision (ceph-0.48argonaut.tar.gz)

Any other packages came with the CentOS repos, and were found either using yum provides or yum search.

I don't recall in which order to build these, but make sure that they install in your desired prefix (using ./configure PREFIX=/usr for example) I forgot to build ceph using the prefix command and libraries have been an issue, since everything is in /usr/local/... My Mistake. It looks as though the dev's use PREFIX=/usr for all of their builds.

I hope this helps.

Ryan Nicholson

@ 2012-08-01  1:09 ` Yehuda Sadeh
From: Yehuda Sadeh @ 2012-08-01  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: landman; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Joe Landman
<landman@scalableinformatics.com> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
>   I was struggling and failing to get Ceph properly built/installed for
> CentOS 6 (and 5) last week.  Is this simply not a recommended platform?
> Please advise.  Thanks!

As mentioned by the other responses, it is possible to get Ceph built
for RHEL/CentOS even though it's probably not trivial. Getting proper
packaging for these distributions is pretty high on our list. We'd
love to hear about specific the issues that you have had.

Thanks,
Yehuda

* Re: Quick CentOS/RHEL question ...
@ 2012-09-12 15:42   ` Jimmy Tang
From: Jimmy Tang @ 2012-09-12 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yehuda Sadeh; +Cc: landman, ceph-devel

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 06:09:59PM -0700, Yehuda Sadeh wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Joe Landman
> <landman@scalableinformatics.com> wrote:
> > Hi folks
> >
> >   I was struggling and failing to get Ceph properly built/installed for
> > CentOS 6 (and 5) last week.  Is this simply not a recommended platform?
> > Please advise.  Thanks!
>
> As mentioned by the other responses, it is possible to get Ceph built
> for RHEL/CentOS even though it's probably not trivial. Getting proper
> packaging for these distributions is pretty high on our list. We'd
> love to hear about specific the issues that you have had.

Will there also be backports of the kernel modules for cephfs and rbd?
That's probably a make or break feature for anyone using RHEL based
distros as they are not likely to want to upgrade their kernels
manually and maintain them for security fixes. I guess if there are no
kernel modules for cephfs and rbd RHEL could still be used as a osd,
mon or mds.

Jimmy.

--
Jimmy Tang
Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,

* Re: Quick CentOS/RHEL question ...
@ 2012-09-12 15:56     ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2012-09-12 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jimmy Tang; +Cc: Yehuda Sadeh, landman, ceph-devel

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012, Jimmy Tang wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 06:09:59PM -0700, Yehuda Sadeh wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Joe Landman
> > <landman@scalableinformatics.com> wrote:
> > > Hi folks
> > >
> > >   I was struggling and failing to get Ceph properly built/installed for
> > > CentOS 6 (and 5) last week.  Is this simply not a recommended platform?
> > > Please advise.  Thanks!
> >
> > As mentioned by the other responses, it is possible to get Ceph built
> > for RHEL/CentOS even though it's probably not trivial. Getting proper
> > packaging for these distributions is pretty high on our list. We'd
> > love to hear about specific the issues that you have had.
> >

> Will there also be backports of the kernel modules for cephfs and rbd?
> That's probably a make or break feature for anyone using RHEL based
> distros as they are not likely to want to upgrade their kernels
> manually and maintain them for security fixes. I guess if there are no
> kernel modules for cephfs and rbd RHEL could still be used as a osd,
> mon or mds.

We do not have any kernel backports planned at this point.  The RHEL
kernels also tend to be pretty old, so it's likely a fair bit of work.

That said, the server stuff should all run fine on RHEL/CentOS.  We are
now doing builds on centos 6 as part of our continuous builds
(ceph.com/gitbuilders.cgi), and the next release will include centos rpms
(and hopefully Fedora).  Looking forward, we'll be adding opensuse and
sles rpms as well.

sage