* DT support for Davinci ASoC platform
@ 2012-07-04 12:48 ` Hebbar, Gururaja
From: Hebbar, Gururaja @ 2012-07-04 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel, alsa-user, davinci-linux-open-source
  Cc: broonie, Nori, Sekhar, Girdwood, Liam, linux-arm-kernel,
	Rajashekhara, Sudhakar

All,

Are there any plans or work going on for providing Device Tree Support for Davinci
ASoC?

I am planning to add DT support for TI AM335x (McASP) and I don't want to do duplicate
task.

Regards
Gururaja

From: Hebbar, Gururaja @ 2012-07-04 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

All,

Are there any plans or work going on for providing Device Tree Support for Davinci
ASoC?

I am planning to add DT support for TI AM335x (McASP) and I don't want to do duplicate
task.

Regards
Gururaja

* Re: DT support for Davinci ASoC platform
@ 2012-07-05 10:58   ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2012-07-05 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hebbar, Gururaja
  Cc: alsa-devel, Rajashekhara, Sudhakar, broonie, Nori, Sekhar,
	davinci-linux-open-source, alsa-user, Girdwood, Liam,
	linux-arm-kernel

Hi Gururaja,

On 04.07.2012 14:48, Hebbar, Gururaja wrote:
> All,
>
> Are there any plans or work going on for providing Device Tree Support for Davinci
> ASoC?
>
> I am planning to add DT support for TI AM335x (McASP) and I don't want to do duplicate
> task.

That's good to know. But isn't there a dependency on the EDMA engine? Is
that part ported yet?

Daniel

* [alsa-devel] DT support for Davinci ASoC platform
@ 2012-07-05 10:58   ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2012-07-05 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-05 15:36     ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-07-05 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel
  Cc: alsa-devel, Rajashekhara, Sudhakar, broonie, Nori, Sekhar,
	davinci-linux-open-source, Hebbar, Gururaja, alsa-user,
	Daniel Mack, Girdwood, Liam

On Thursday 05 July 2012, Daniel Mack wrote:
> On 04.07.2012 14:48, Hebbar, Gururaja wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Are there any plans or work going on for providing Device Tree Support for Davinci
> > ASoC?
> >
> > I am planning to add DT support for TI AM335x (McASP) and I don't want to do duplicate
> > task.
>
> That's good to know. But isn't there a dependency on the EDMA engine? Is
> that part ported yet?

None of the dma engines are ported yet, because the generic binding for dma
engines is still under debate. So far, all DMA channels are described using
auxdata on platforms that use DT, with the exception of exynos, but that one
will have to change once we have the common code.

	Arnd

From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-07-05 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-05 16:05       ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2012-07-05 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann
  Cc: alsa-devel, Rajashekhara, Sudhakar, broonie, Nori, Sekhar,
	davinci-linux-open-source, Hebbar, Gururaja, alsa-user, Girdwood,
	Liam, linux-arm-kernel

On 05.07.2012 17:36, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Thursday 05 July 2012, Daniel Mack wrote:
>> On 04.07.2012 14:48, Hebbar, Gururaja wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Are there any plans or work going on for providing Device Tree Support for Davinci
>>> ASoC?
>>>
>>> I am planning to add DT support for TI AM335x (McASP) and I don't want to do duplicate
>>> task.
>>
>> That's good to know. But isn't there a dependency on the EDMA engine? Is
>> that part ported yet?
>
> None of the dma engines are ported yet, because the generic binding for dma
> engines is still under debate. So far, all DMA channels are described using
> auxdata on platforms that use DT, with the exception of exynos, but that one
> will have to change once we have the common code.

You're talking about the DT bindings here, right? But the code itself is
also only present in TI's BSP kernel sources, and not in mainline.

From: Daniel Mack @ 2012-07-05 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 05.07.2012 17:36, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Thursday 05 July 2012, Daniel Mack wrote:
>> On 04.07.2012 14:48, Hebbar, Gururaja wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Are there any plans or work going on for providing Device Tree Support for Davinci
>>> ASoC?
>>>
>>> I am planning to add DT support for TI AM335x (McASP) and I don't want to do duplicate
>>> task.
>>
>> That's good to know. But isn't there a dependency on the EDMA engine? Is
>> that part ported yet?
>
> None of the dma engines are ported yet, because the generic binding for dma
> engines is still under debate. So far, all DMA channels are described using
> auxdata on platforms that use DT, with the exception of exynos, but that one
> will have to change once we have the common code.

You're talking about the DT bindings here, right? But the code itself is
also only present in TI's BSP kernel sources, and not in mainline.

Daniel

* Re: [alsa-devel] DT support for Davinci ASoC platform
@ 2012-07-06 13:12           ` Sekhar Nori
From: Sekhar Nori @ 2012-07-06 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mack
  Cc: alsa-devel-K7yf7f+aM1XWsZ/bQMPhNw, Arnd Bergmann,
	broonie-yzvPICuk2AATkU/dhu1WVueM+bqZidxxQQ4Iyu8u01E,
	davinci-linux-open-source-VycZQUHpC/PFrsHnngEfi1aTQe2KTcn/,
	alsa-user-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f, Girdwood, Liam,
	linux-arm-kernel-IAPFreCvJWM7uuMidbF8XUB+6BGkLq7r

Hi Daniel,

On 7/5/2012 9:35 PM, Daniel Mack wrote:
> On 05.07.2012 17:36, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

>>> That's good to know. But isn't there a dependency on the EDMA engine? Is
>>> that part ported yet?
>>
>> None of the dma engines are ported yet, because the generic binding for dma
>> engines is still under debate. So far, all DMA channels are described using
>> auxdata on platforms that use DT, with the exception of exynos, but that one
>> will have to change once we have the common code.
>
> You're talking about the DT bindings here, right? But the code itself is
> also only present in TI's BSP kernel sources, and not in mainline.

AM335x uses TI EDMA which is present in mainline under mach-davinci.
Matt Porter from TI is working on moving this to DMA engine. Once that's
done the driver should be usable on AM335x too. Have a look at the wiki
page Vaibhav posted under the thread "Current state of AM33xx patches"

Thanks,
Sekhar

From: Sekhar Nori @ 2012-07-06 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-07-06 15:01         ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-07-06 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mack
  Cc: alsa-devel, Rajashekhara, Sudhakar, broonie, Nori, Sekhar,
	davinci-linux-open-source, Hebbar, Gururaja, alsa-user, Girdwood,
	Liam, linux-arm-kernel

On Thursday 05 July 2012, Daniel Mack wrote:

> > None of the dma engines are ported yet, because the generic binding for dma
> > engines is still under debate. So far, all DMA channels are described using
> > auxdata on platforms that use DT, with the exception of exynos, but that one
> > will have to change once we have the common code.
>
> You're talking about the DT bindings here, right? But the code itself is
> also only present in TI's BSP kernel sources, and not in mainline.

Right, I was misreading the question, sorry for the noise.

	Arnd

From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-07-06 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-08-02 20:32     ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2012-08-02 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hebbar, Gururaja
  Cc: alsa-devel, Rajashekhara, Sudhakar, broonie, Nori, Sekhar,

On 05.07.2012 12:58, Daniel Mack wrote:
> Hi Gururaja,
>
> On 04.07.2012 14:48, Hebbar, Gururaja wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Are there any plans or work going on for providing Device Tree Support for Davinci
>> ASoC?
>>
>> I am planning to add DT support for TI AM335x (McASP) and I don't want to do duplicate
>> task.
>
> That's good to know. But isn't there a dependency on the EDMA engine? Is
> that part ported yet?

May I ask whether you made any progress on that yet?

Thanks,

From: Daniel Mack @ 2012-08-02 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-08-03  9:09       ` Sekhar Nori
From: Sekhar Nori @ 2012-08-03  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mack
  Cc: Porter, Matt, alsa-devel, Rajashekhara, Sudhakar, broonie,

On 8/3/2012 2:02 AM, Daniel Mack wrote:
> On 05.07.2012 12:58, Daniel Mack wrote:
>> Hi Gururaja,
>>
>> On 04.07.2012 14:48, Hebbar, Gururaja wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Are there any plans or work going on for providing Device Tree Support for Davinci
>>> ASoC?
>>>
>>> I am planning to add DT support for TI AM335x (McASP) and I don't want to do duplicate
>>> task.
>>
>> That's good to know. But isn't there a dependency on the EDMA engine? Is
>> that part ported yet?
>
> May I ask whether you made any progress on that yet?

Matt Porter from TI is working on DMA engine migration. This would still
be some time away since there is a bunch of work involved here.

To make progress on Audio DT conversion Gururaja is doing an up port of
AM335x EDMA support from TI release to mainline kernel. If you are
interested in it, he can probably share that with you once he posts his
DT patches.

Thanks,
Sekhar

From: Sekhar Nori @ 2012-08-03  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-08-08 13:36         ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2012-08-08 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sekhar Nori
  Cc: Porter, Matt, alsa-devel, Rajashekhara, Sudhakar, broonie,
	davinci-linux-open-source, Hebbar, Gururaja, alsa-user, Girdwood,
	Liam, linux-arm-kernel

Hi Serkar,

On 03.08.2012 11:09, Sekhar Nori wrote:
> On 8/3/2012 2:02 AM, Daniel Mack wrote:
>> On 05.07.2012 12:58, Daniel Mack wrote:
>>> Hi Gururaja,

>>> That's good to know. But isn't there a dependency on the EDMA engine? Is
>>> that part ported yet?
>>
>> May I ask whether you made any progress on that yet?
>
> Matt Porter from TI is working on DMA engine migration. This would still
> be some time away since there is a bunch of work involved here.
>
> To make progress on Audio DT conversion Gururaja is doing an up port of
> AM335x EDMA support from TI release to mainline kernel. If you are
> interested in it, he can probably share that with you once he posts his
> DT patches.

As the DMA engine is also a requirement for the MMC controller, I would
be interested in helping, in case help is required. Is there any
repository with code that I can have a look at?

From: Daniel Mack @ 2012-08-08 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-08-08 14:48           ` Porter, Matt
From: Porter, Matt @ 2012-08-08 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mack
  Cc: alsa-devel, Rajashekhara, Sudhakar, broonie, Nori, Sekhar,

On Aug 8, 2012, at 9:36 AM, Daniel Mack wrote:

> Hi Serkar,
>
> On 03.08.2012 11:09, Sekhar Nori wrote:

>>> May I ask whether you made any progress on that yet?
>>
>> Matt Porter from TI is working on DMA engine migration. This would still
>> be some time away since there is a bunch of work involved here.
>>
>> To make progress on Audio DT conversion Gururaja is doing an up port of
>> AM335x EDMA support from TI release to mainline kernel. If you are
>> interested in it, he can probably share that with you once he posts his
>> DT patches.
>
> As the DMA engine is also a requirement for the MMC controller, I would
> be interested in helping, in case help is required. Is there any
> repository with code that I can have a look at?

I'm just getting to the point now where I *almost* have something to push
to my github repo and post. It'll be Davinci-specific to start since it's
a wrapper around mach-davinci/dma.c and includes only memcpy and SG transfer
type support initially...plus conversions of davinci spi/mmc drivers.

There'll be a bit of work to get the omap-dma.c-dependent channel filtering
removed from the omap hsmmc and mcspi drivers so they can provide a filter
that works with either dmaengine driver. Also, that means DT support for
the actual dmaengine driver too and some glue to configure the crossbar.

I'll copy you when I get this RFC series posted and we can go from there.

-Matt

From: Porter, Matt @ 2012-08-08 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel