* [lm-sensors] Output problem with adcxx  on at91
@ 2012-08-01 15:59 John Rippetoe
                   ` (8 more replies)
From: John Rippetoe @ 2012-08-01 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

I am attempting to setup lm-sensors on an embedded platform, more
specifically the Micromint Electrum 100.  I'm experiencing an issue with
the output of the sensors program where the output is obviously bogus,
especially given that all the values are identical.  Some basic details
about the system:

- 6.04 Debian squeeze
- Atmel AT91SAM9G20 cpu (armv5)
- ADC128S052 SPI ADC
- atmel_spi driver built in to pre-compiled kernel
- hwmon, and adcxx loaded as modules later

The adcxx kernel module successfully loads and binds to the device.
Reading the sysfs files it creates for each input, the same value of
52799 is seen on each.  I know the device works because I have tested it
with some userland example code provided by the manufacturer and get
expected values for various inputs.

I initially had an issue with getting the adcxx module to bind with the
device, but found that the problem was because of an alias problem.  In
./arch/arm/mach-at91/board-electrum-100.c the ADC was declared with an
alias as shown in the code segment below:

/static struct spi_board_info ek_spi_devices[] = {
/  .....
/    {    /* ADC128S052 analog inputs */
/        .modalias    = "adc128s052",
/        .chip_select    = 2,
/        .max_speed_hz    = 8 * 1000 * 1000,
/        .bus_num    = 1,
/    },
/  .....

Rather than change the alias in board-electrum-100.c and have to
recompile and install a new kernel, I opted to add the alias as shown
above to adcxx_ids[] in adcxx.c

/static const struct spi_device_id adcxx_ids[] = {
/    { "adcxx1s", 1 },
/    { "adcxx2s", 2 },
/    { "adcxx4s", 4 },
/    { "adcxx8s", 8 },
/    { "adc128s052", 8},   <-- added here
/    { },
/};

With that done, sensors starting giving me output, just not anything
worth reading.  At this point I'm a little baffled as to what is causing
this and crawling the internet has turned up nothing. Here is my output
for sensors:

electrum100:~# sensors
adcxx8s-spi-1-2
Adapter: SPI adapter
in0:         +52.80 V
in1:         +52.80 V
in2:         +52.80 V
in3:         +52.80 V
in4:         +52.80 V
in5:         +52.80 V
in6:         +52.80 V
in7:         +52.80 V

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

     - John