* dbus with tests
@ 2012-08-14 11:11 Andrei Gherzan
From: Andrei Gherzan @ 2012-08-14 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded

In the process of updating dbus, tests (in my opinion) are mandatory.

While compiling dbus with tests, dbus and dbus-glib are needed. To
compile dbus-glib, dbus is needed (obviously). The only solution (to
compile dbus with tests) that i found is to create a new recipe named
dbus-tests where to compile dbus with --enable-tests
--enable-embedded-tests, skip write to sysroot (noexec) and just package
dbus-tests.

1. Do you guys know a better solution for this?
2. What would be a good path to use for installing tests?

ag

* Re: dbus with tests
@ 2012-08-14 11:57 ` Saul Wold
From: Saul Wold @ 2012-08-14 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 08/14/2012 02:11 PM, Andrei Gherzan wrote:
> In the process of updating dbus, tests (in my opinion) are mandatory.
>
> While compiling dbus with tests, dbus and dbus-glib are needed. To
> compile dbus-glib, dbus is needed (obviously). The only solution (to
> compile dbus with tests) that i found is to create a new recipe named
> dbus-tests where to compile dbus with --enable-tests
> --enable-embedded-tests, skip write to sysroot (noexec) and just package
> dbus-tests.
>
> 1. Do you guys know a better solution for this?

We have started to think/chat about this, there was another patch on the
list recently that Mark Hatle and I talked about tests.

I think having the tests enabled with DISTRO_FEATURE would allow for the
flexibility of enabling then without always incurring the cost /overhead
of longer compile times.

Can you incorporate the changes to the core recipe with out having to
add a new dbus-tests recipe if you use DISTRO_FEATURE?

> 2. What would be a good path to use for installing tests?
Same here, disucssion started.I would like to see tests go into
${datadir}/${BPN} (/usr/share/${BPN}.  /opt was discussed, but I think
we want to leave that clean and empty.

Sau!

> ag

* Re: dbus with tests
@ 2012-08-14 12:49 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-08-14 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Op 14 aug. 2012, om 13:11 heeft Andrei Gherzan <andrei@gherzan.ro> het volgende geschreven:

> In the process of updating dbus, tests (in my opinion) are mandatory.
>
> While compiling dbus with tests, dbus and dbus-glib are needed. To compile dbus-glib, dbus is needed (obviously). The only solution (to compile dbus with tests) that i found is to create a new recipe named dbus-tests where to compile dbus with --enable-tests --enable-embedded-tests, skip write to sysroot (noexec) and just package dbus-tests.
>
> 1. Do you guys know a better solution for this?

It's actually the only solution that would work :)

> 2. What would be a good path to use for installing tests?

$bindir or $libexecdir IMO

* Re: dbus with tests
@ 2012-08-14 12:50   ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-08-14 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Op 14 aug. 2012, om 13:57 heeft Saul Wold <sgw@linux.intel.com> het volgende geschreven:

> On 08/14/2012 02:11 PM, Andrei Gherzan wrote:
>> In the process of updating dbus, tests (in my opinion) are mandatory.
>>
>> While compiling dbus with tests, dbus and dbus-glib are needed. To
>> compile dbus-glib, dbus is needed (obviously). The only solution (to
>> compile dbus with tests) that i found is to create a new recipe named
>> dbus-tests where to compile dbus with --enable-tests
>> --enable-embedded-tests, skip write to sysroot (noexec) and just package
>> dbus-tests.
>>
>> 1. Do you guys know a better solution for this?
>
> We have started to think/chat about this, there was another patch on the list recently that Mark Hatle and I talked about tests.
>
> I think having the tests enabled with DISTRO_FEATURE would allow for the flexibility of enabling then without always incurring the cost /overhead of longer compile times.
>
> Can you incorporate the changes to the core recipe with out having to add a new dbus-tests recipe if you use DISTRO_FEATURE?
>

>> 2. What would be a good path to use for installing tests?
> Same here, disucssion started.I would like to see tests go into ${datadir}/${BPN} (/usr/share/${BPN}

$datadir is not for executables, but for data

> .  /opt was discussed, but I think we want to leave that clean and empty.

/opt is for 3rd party binary-only stuff, it should *never* show up in a system package.

* Re: dbus with tests
@ 2012-08-14 14:58     ` Andrei Gherzan
From: Andrei Gherzan @ 2012-08-14 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Koen Kooi <koen@dominion.thruhere.net>wrote:

> Op 14 aug. 2012, om 13:57 heeft Saul Wold <sgw@linux.intel.com> het
> volgende geschreven:
>
> > On 08/14/2012 02:11 PM, Andrei Gherzan wrote:
> >> In the process of updating dbus, tests (in my opinion) are mandatory.
> >>
> >> While compiling dbus with tests, dbus and dbus-glib are needed. To
> >> compile dbus-glib, dbus is needed (obviously). The only solution (to
> >> compile dbus with tests) that i found is to create a new recipe named
> >> dbus-tests where to compile dbus with --enable-tests
> >> --enable-embedded-tests, skip write to sysroot (noexec) and just package
> >> dbus-tests.
> >>
> >> 1. Do you guys know a better solution for this?
> >
> > We have started to think/chat about this, there was another patch on the
> list recently that Mark Hatle and I talked about tests.
> >
> > I think having the tests enabled with DISTRO_FEATURE would allow for the
> flexibility of enabling then without always incurring the cost /overhead of
> longer compile times.
> >
> > Can you incorporate the changes to the core recipe with out having to
> add a new dbus-tests recipe if you use DISTRO_FEATURE?

As Koen as said in another mail i don't think there is another option than
creating another recipe and we could add RDEPENDS to dbus if DISTRO_FEATURE
contains dbus-tests.

> >> 2. What would be a good path to use for installing tests?
> > Same here, disucssion started.I would like to see tests go into
> ${datadir}/${BPN} (/usr/share/${BPN}
>
> $datadir is not for executables, but for data

Binaries and scripts?

ag

* Re: dbus with tests
@ 2012-08-14 16:24   ` Saul Wold
From: Saul Wold @ 2012-08-14 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer, Andrei Gherzan; +Cc: Koen Kooi

On 08/14/2012 03:49 PM, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 14 aug. 2012, om 13:11 heeft Andrei Gherzan <andrei@gherzan.ro> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> In the process of updating dbus, tests (in my opinion) are mandatory.
>>
>> While compiling dbus with tests, dbus and dbus-glib are needed. To compile dbus-glib, dbus is needed (obviously). The only solution (to compile dbus with tests) that i found is to create a new recipe named dbus-tests where to compile dbus with --enable-tests --enable-embedded-tests, skip write to sysroot (noexec) and just package dbus-tests.
>>
>> 1. Do you guys know a better solution for this?
>
> It's actually the only solution that would work :)
>
>> 2. What would be a good path to use for installing tests?
>
> $bindir or $libexecdir IMO

Not bindir please!  Tests should live separate,

If it;s going to be libexecdir, really should be $libdir/$BPN as we want
to move way from having things live in /usr/libexec, and yes with time
$libexecdir will be $prefix/lib/$BPN.

Sau!

* Re: dbus with tests
@ 2012-08-14 16:53     ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-08-14 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saul Wold; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Op 14 aug. 2012, om 18:24 heeft Saul Wold <sgw@linux.intel.com> het volgende geschreven:

> On 08/14/2012 03:49 PM, Koen Kooi wrote:
>>
>> Op 14 aug. 2012, om 13:11 heeft Andrei Gherzan <andrei@gherzan.ro> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>>> In the process of updating dbus, tests (in my opinion) are mandatory.
>>>
>>> While compiling dbus with tests, dbus and dbus-glib are needed. To compile dbus-glib, dbus is needed (obviously). The only solution (to compile dbus with tests) that i found is to create a new recipe named dbus-tests where to compile dbus with --enable-tests --enable-embedded-tests, skip write to sysroot (noexec) and just package dbus-tests.
>>>
>>> 1. Do you guys know a better solution for this?
>>
>> It's actually the only solution that would work :)
>>
>>> 2. What would be a good path to use for installing tests?
>>
>> $bindir or $libexecdir IMO
>
> Not bindir please!  Tests should live separate,
>
> If it;s going to be libexecdir, really should be $libdir/$BPN as we want to move way from having things live in /usr/libexec, and yes with time $libexecdir will be $prefix/lib/$BPN.

I wanted to suggest libdir/BPN, but since that's one of those new-fangled things adopted by systemd I thought people would have a knee-jerk reaction, kinda like the big players threatening to back out of yocto if systemd ends up in oe-core.

* Re: dbus with tests
@ 2012-08-14 17:01       ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2012-08-14 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 14 August 2012 17:53, Koen Kooi <koen@dominion.thruhere.net> wrote:
> I wanted to suggest libdir/BPN, but since that's one of those new-fangled things adopted by systemd I thought people would have a knee-jerk reaction, kinda like the big players threatening to back out of yocto if systemd ends up in oe-core.

Debian's (and others) been using /usr/lib/$package instead of
/usr/libexec since, well, forever.

Ross