* receiving data from mcbsp1 in master mode
@ 2012-08-21  5:42 Andreas Kemnade
From: Andreas Kemnade @ 2012-08-21  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap

I tried a couple of times with different kernels to use mcbsp1 of dm3730
in master mode (so that it sends out clocks).
The result always is that I can send data out. but arecord gets no input. It
waits for input but does not get anything, although clocks are generated,
checked that with a scope.

I even took a driver which works in master mode on another mcbsp and just changed
the mcbsp number.
What needs to be done to receive data from mcbsp1?

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: receiving data from mcbsp1 in master mode
@ 2012-08-21 13:42 ` Peter Ujfalusi
From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2012-08-21 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Kemnade; +Cc: linux-omap

On 08/21/2012 08:42 AM, Andreas Kemnade wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried a couple of times with different kernels to use mcbsp1 of dm3730
> in master mode (so that it sends out clocks).
> The result always is that I can send data out. but arecord gets no input. It
> waits for input but does not get anything, although clocks are generated,
> checked that with a scope.
>
> I even took a driver which works in master mode on another mcbsp and just changed
> the mcbsp number.
> What needs to be done to receive data from mcbsp1?

You should check the PIN mux configuration of McBSP1 FSR/CLKR pins. McBSP1 on
dm3730 have 6 pin configuration. I think the capture should work fine if you
select the FSX as FSR source, and CLKX as CLKR source.

--
Péter

* Re: receiving data from mcbsp1 in master mode
@ 2012-08-22 20:19   ` Andreas Kemnade
From: Andreas Kemnade @ 2012-08-22 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Ujfalusi; +Cc: linux-omap

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:42:19 +0300
Peter Ujfalusi <peter.ujfalusi@ti.com> wrote:

> On 08/21/2012 08:42 AM, Andreas Kemnade wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried a couple of times with different kernels to use mcbsp1 of dm3730
> > in master mode (so that it sends out clocks).
> > The result always is that I can send data out. but arecord gets no input. It
> > waits for input but does not get anything, although clocks are generated,
> > checked that with a scope.
> >
> > I even took a driver which works in master mode on another mcbsp and just changed
> > the mcbsp number.
> > What needs to be done to receive data from mcbsp1?
>
> You should check the PIN mux configuration of McBSP1 FSR/CLKR pins. McBSP1 on
> dm3730 have 6 pin configuration. I think the capture should work fine if you
> select the FSX as FSR source, and CLKX as CLKR source.

if I understand the TRM correctly, according to Figure 21-26 in chapter 21.4.2.3.
if GSYNC is set, the receiver uses the signal from the sample rate generator,
so CLKX does not need to be the CLKR source.
But I tried also with the DEVCONF0 MCBSP1_CLKR bit as you proposed.
I tried
 snd_soc_dai_set_sysclk(cpu_dai, OMAP_MCBSP_CLKR_SRC_CLKX, 0,
                                     SND_SOC_CLOCK_OUT);
 snd_soc_dai_set_sysclk(cpu_dai, OMAP_MCBSP_FSR_SRC_FSX, 0,
                                     SND_SOC_CLOCK_OUT);

 That is why I send you my patch about that mux settings. But I had no success.
The CLKX as CLKR source and FSX as FSR source setting I have only seen when
mcbsp1 is used in slave mode. If you know any working code which uses mcbsp1 in
master mode then let me know.

@ 2012-08-23  8:47     ` Peter Ujfalusi
From: Peter Ujfalusi @ 2012-08-23  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Kemnade; +Cc: linux-omap

On 08/22/2012 11:19 PM, Andreas Kemnade wrote:
> if I understand the TRM correctly, according to Figure 21-26 in chapter 21.4.2.3.
> if GSYNC is set, the receiver uses the signal from the sample rate generator,
> so CLKX does not need to be the CLKR source.
> But I tried also with the DEVCONF0 MCBSP1_CLKR bit as you proposed.
> I tried
>  snd_soc_dai_set_sysclk(cpu_dai, OMAP_MCBSP_CLKR_SRC_CLKX, 0,
>                                      SND_SOC_CLOCK_OUT);
>  snd_soc_dai_set_sysclk(cpu_dai, OMAP_MCBSP_FSR_SRC_FSX, 0,
>                                      SND_SOC_CLOCK_OUT);

There is an issue with the 6pin mux code, try to add this patch:
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2012-August/054041.html

>  That is why I send you my patch about that mux settings. But I had no success.
> The CLKX as CLKR source and FSX as FSR source setting I have only seen when
> mcbsp1 is used in slave mode. If you know any working code which uses mcbsp1 in
> master mode then let me know.

No, I don't have board which uses McBSP1.

--
Péter

* Re: receiving data from mcbsp1 in master mode
@ 2012-08-23  9:32       ` Andreas Kemnade
From: Andreas Kemnade @ 2012-08-23  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Ujfalusi; +Cc: linux-omap