* knotty2
@ 2012-08-21 14:10 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-08-21 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Poky Project

I just updated to master:6ed4012fefee1294d98f2ea76163d44acf3d045
The new "knotty2" interface is very impressive and a welcome improvement
from the old CLI :-)

One thing I noticed though - during much of the first phase(*) of a
new build (where it's building the early native packages), I only
get one task running at a time even though I've set BB_NUMBER_THREADS ?= "4"
What needs to be so serialized?

Once it gets past this phase and into building the main recipes,
it goes back to running more than one task at a time.

(*) Do these various build phases have names?  Is this documented?

Thanks

* Re: knotty2
@ 2012-08-22 13:48 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2012-08-22 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project

On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 08:10 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
> I just updated to master:6ed4012fefee1294d98f2ea76163d44acf3d045
> The new "knotty2" interface is very impressive and a welcome improvement
> from the old CLI :-)
>
> One thing I noticed though - during much of the first phase(*) of a
> new build (where it's building the early native packages), I only
> get one task running at a time even though I've set BB_NUMBER_THREADS ?= "4"
> What needs to be so serialized?
>
> Once it gets past this phase and into building the main recipes,
> it goes back to running more than one task at a time.
>
> (*) Do these various build phases have names?  Is this documented?

This is probably the bit where its building pseudo-native. It
effectively does:

bitbake pseudo-native
bitbake <original target>

so the pseudo-native bit is not very parallel. Its the lesser of several
evils. I have ideas to improve this but they're invasive, complex and
I'm not finding the time to look at that :(

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: knotty2
@ 2012-08-18 21:36 ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2012-08-18 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: yocto

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 4:09 AM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow! The new cmdline interface (which I assume is knotty2?) is
> _really_ impressive!

It was knotty2, yeah, but that functionality was merged into the
default UI, so it's just knotty now :) Agreed, Richard did a good job
on it. It's a simple change, really, but one with great impact on
usability. It makes it much easier to spot real warnings/errors, since
you don't have to dig through the spam.
--
Christopher Larson

* knotty2