* Stale NFS file handle - persistent error
       [not found] <503E131F.2040904@eneotecnologia.com>
@ 2012-08-29 13:06 ` Carlos Jiménez
From: Carlos Jiménez @ 2012-08-29 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nfs

Hello everybody,

I have a computer acting as an NFS Server running a Debian based distro
and several hosts running CentOS 6.2 acting as NFS clients (for a
virtualization environment). Every time more often "Stale NFS file
handle" errors appear when trying to copy a file from one directory to
another (both in the nfs shared directory).
In the server side there are no related information in the logs, but
this is the output of one of the nfs clients:

Wed Aug 29 11:52:57 2012 [TM][E]: clone: Command "cd
/var/lib/one/datastores/0/32; cp -r
../../1/5c0455eb494fd43b5c7c576e0c642fbe
/var/lib/one/datastores/0/32/disk.0" failed: cp: reading
`../../1/5c0455eb494fd43b5c7c576e0c642fbe': Stale NFS file handle

I've checked that path and filenames are correct. The file itself is a
300MG sized and the error appears aprox. 30 minutes after the start of
the copy, so I guess that it doesn't finish the file copy.
I usually tried unmounting and remounting the shared directory. In fact,
initially it was enough and it was possible to fully copy the file
(after aprox. 30 minutes), moreover because the error took place from
time to time. But now, the problem persists after doing it (even after
rebooting the clients).
Additionally, I've tried doing the same operation (to copy the same file
from a directory to another) locally in the NFS Server and it takes just
a minute (aprox.).

Could you give me advice on troubleshooting it?

Thanks in advance.

Carlos.

* Re: Stale NFS file handle - persistent error
@ 2012-08-29 17:11   ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2012-08-29 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Jiménez; +Cc: linux-nfs

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 03:06:07PM +0200, Carlos Jiménez wrote:
> I have a computer acting as an NFS Server running a Debian based
> distro

Could you be more specific?  What kernel version exactly, and what
filesystem are you exporting, and what are the export options?

What version of NFS are you using?

> and several hosts running CentOS 6.2 acting as NFS clients
> (for a virtualization environment). Every time more often "Stale NFS
> file handle" errors appear when trying to copy a file from one
> directory to another (both in the nfs shared directory).

I assume you're not doing anything else with either file or directory at
the same time?  (E.g., not deleting or renaming the file while it's
being copied?)

--b.

@ 2012-08-30  6:45     ` Carlos Jiménez
From: Carlos Jiménez @ 2012-08-30  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bruce Fields; +Cc: linux-nfs

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
> Could you be more specific?  What kernel version exactly, and what
> filesystem are you exporting, and what are the export options?
Kernel version: 2.4.27-3-386
Filesystem exported: ext3
Export options: rw,no_root_squash,sync

I've shared/exported to the full network 192.168.180.0/24.
The exported directory is /opt/virtual/one and in /opt/virtual it is
mounted /dev/cciss/c0d0p4 (with default options), which is a 256GB (8GB
used) partition over a 3 disks RAID5.

> What version of NFS are you using?

Vers 3

> I assume you're not doing anything else with either file or directory at
> the same time?  (E.g., not deleting or renaming the file while it's
> being copied?)

I'm not doing anything else with either file or directory at the same time.

* Re: Stale NFS file handle - persistent error
@ 2012-08-30  9:17       ` Carlos Jiménez
From: Carlos Jiménez @ 2012-08-30  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bruce Fields; +Cc: linux-nfs

Also, I've tried copying a file at a client machine from the NFS Server
(to /dev/null) and it outputs the same stale error:

[root@host1 1]# cp -v 5c0455eb494fd43b5c7c576e0c642fbe /dev/null
cp: overwrite `/dev/null'? y
`5c0455eb494fd43b5c7c576e0c642fbe' -> `/dev/null'
cp: reading `5c0455eb494fd43b5c7c576e0c642fbe': Stale NFS file handle

Cheers,

Carlos.

@ 2012-08-30 16:02       ` Bryan Schumaker
From: Bryan Schumaker @ 2012-08-30 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Jiménez; +Cc: J. Bruce Fields, linux-nfs

On 08/30/2012 02:45 AM, Carlos Jiménez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>> Could you be more specific?  What kernel version exactly, and what
>> filesystem are you exporting, and what are the export options?
> Kernel version: 2.4.27-3-386

2.4.27 is incredibly old, do you have access to the server and can you try a more recent kernel?

- Bryan

@ 2012-08-30 18:59         ` J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2012-08-30 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Schumaker; +Cc: Carlos Jiménez, linux-nfs

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:02:04PM -0400, Bryan Schumaker wrote:
> On 08/30/2012 02:45 AM, Carlos Jiménez wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >> Could you be more specific?  What kernel version exactly, and what
> >> filesystem are you exporting, and what are the export options?
> > Kernel version: 2.4.27-3-386
>
> 2.4.27 is incredibly old, do you have access to the server and can you try a more recent kernel?

Yes, we can't make much use of 2.4 bug reports at this point; you should
probably report this to your distro, or try a more recent kernel.

--b.

@ 2012-08-31  6:09           ` Carlos Jiménez
From: Carlos Jiménez @ 2012-08-31  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Bruce Fields, Bryan Schumaker; +Cc: linux-nfs

Ok, you are right.
Certainly, it is a very old kernel because we had problems with the SCSI
controller in new distros with 2.6-3 kernel. I think there is another
computer available, so I think the best choice will be to try to move to
that one.

Thanks guys for your fast replies and your time.

Carlos.