* Re: sdk manual, how does one simply *use* a pre-built SDK?
@ 2021-05-03 21:40 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-05-03 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

  having perused the SDK manual and nitpicked here and there (and
submitted some patches, hi, michael!), it's not clear to me how one
simply *uses* a pre-built SDK to speed up subsequent builds of
compatible projects.

  if i'm focused on building for a particular target, i recall from
way back there was an option to identify an external toolchain to use
to speed things. i'm *assuming* you can do the same by building,
installing and sourcing an SDK, but the SDK manual doesn't seem to
explain how to do something that basic.

  am i missing something? if i go to the trouble of building and
installing a standard SDK, how can i use it to speed up subsequent
builds?

rday

* Re: [docs] sdk manual, how does one simply *use* a pre-built SDK?
@ 2021-05-03 22:38 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2021-05-03 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2021-05-03 at 17:40 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   having perused the SDK manual and nitpicked here and there (and
> submitted some patches, hi, michael!), it's not clear to me how one
> simply *uses* a pre-built SDK to speed up subsequent builds of
> compatible projects.
>
>   if i'm focused on building for a particular target, i recall from
> way back there was an option to identify an external toolchain to use
> to speed things. i'm *assuming* you can do the same by building,
> installing and sourcing an SDK, but the SDK manual doesn't seem to
> explain how to do something that basic.
>
>   am i missing something? if i go to the trouble of building and
> installing a standard SDK, how can i use it to speed up subsequent
> builds?

You don't, we got rid of that. You'd want the eSDK to do anything remotely
like that. Supporting random toolchains for the build was a world of pain
for everyone as it invariably broke in interesting ways. It isn't the point
of an SDK which is t give someone a toolchain to external development.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [docs] sdk manual, how does one simply *use* a pre-built SDK?
@ 2021-05-03 22:50   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-05-03 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)