* proof selinux
@ 2012-08-29  2:50 Raul da Silva {Sp4wn}
From: Raul da Silva {Sp4wn} @ 2012-08-29  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

hi guys,

I know that we have a lot of ways to prove how effective is SELinux as cgi,
perl, shell scripts and I know that is effective but I'd like to know if
someone already tested some kind of exploit of buffer overflow attack as
demo to show how effective could be SELinux.
Any information I really appreciate

Thanks

Raul Leite
sp4wn.root@gmail.com

* Re: proof selinux
@ 2012-08-29  3:41 ` Patrick K., ITF
       [not found]   ` <CAFftDdo1286WZaKfgeJK8xe=N4DE6F3HyQe-X5FM2kpUQD3rxA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Patrick K., ITF @ 2012-08-29  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raul da Silva {Sp4wn}; +Cc: selinux

Hi Raul,

I'm not sure if we are on the same page about SELinux.

SELinux is not there to prevent from buffer overflow or such exploits,

If you run a process in some kind of Role or Context, you confine it to
the limitations you defined in that context (using SELinux Policies),

How effective SELinux would be, depends on your policies actually.

The effectiveness of SELinux has nothing to do with exploits, unless of
course you meant attacking SELinux code or kernel LSM or Kernel itself.

Testing SELinux is easy, simply assign whatever role or policy you want
to a process and user or group,  the ultimate exploit of a process gives
total control of that role or policy to that user. So the attackers
become as privileged as the role or user or context of the policy.

Sincerely,

Patrick K.

On 8/28/2012 10:50 PM, Raul da Silva {Sp4wn} wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> I know that we have a lot of ways to prove how effective is SELinux as
> cgi, perl, shell scripts and I know that is effective but I'd like to
> know if someone already tested some kind of exploit of buffer overflow
> attack as demo to show how effective could be SELinux.
> Any information I really appreciate
>
> Thanks
>

> Raul Leite
> sp4wn.root@gmail.com <mailto:sp4wn.root@gmail.com>

* Re: proof selinux
       [not found]   ` <CAFftDdo1286WZaKfgeJK8xe=N4DE6F3HyQe-X5FM2kpUQD3rxA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-08-29  4:28     ` Patrick K., ITF
From: Patrick K., ITF @ 2012-08-29  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Roberts, SELinux

Bill,

The demonstration for SEAndroid you referred to is not to prevent the
overflow, SELinux is not a tool such as StackGuard or ProPolice;

Such prevention is in gaining access and elevation of privileges,
SELinux is there to compartmentalize things if correctly used, So
technically it is not for preventing from buffer overflow or even
preventing exploits, it is to confine, isolate, restrict and limit the
damage (in GingerBreak case preventing Elevation of access -Root access-)

I believe you referred to this page:

http://selinuxproject.org/~jmorris/lss2011_slides/caseforseandroid.pdf

Best Regards,

Patrick K.

On 8/29/2012 12:10 AM, William Roberts wrote:
> As far as demo at preventing attacks based on overflow stephen smalley
> does a nice job showing how SEAndroid prevented ginger break. Look at
> the SEAndroid web page(Google it)
>
> On Aug 28, 2012 8:45 PM, "Patrick K., ITF" <cto@itechfrontiers.com
> <mailto:cto@itechfrontiers.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Raul,
>
>     I'm not sure if we are on the same page about SELinux.
>
>     SELinux is not there to prevent from buffer overflow or such exploits,
>
>     If you run a process in some kind of Role or Context, you confine it
>     to the limitations you defined in that context (using SELinux Policies),
>
>     How effective SELinux would be, depends on your policies actually.
>
>     The effectiveness of SELinux has nothing to do with exploits, unless
>     of course you meant attacking SELinux code or kernel LSM or Kernel
>     itself.
>

>     Testing SELinux is easy, simply assign whatever role or policy you
>     want to a process and user or group,  the ultimate exploit of a
>     process gives total control of that role or policy to that user. So
>     the attackers become as privileged as the role or user or context of
>     the policy.
>

>     Sincerely,
>
>     Patrick K.
>
>     On 8/28/2012 10:50 PM, Raul da Silva {Sp4wn} wrote:
>
>         hi guys,
>
>         I know that we have a lot of ways to prove how effective is
>         SELinux as
>         cgi, perl, shell scripts and I know that is effective but I'd
>         like to
>         know if someone already tested some kind of exploit of buffer
>         overflow
>         attack as demo to show how effective could be SELinux.
>         Any information I really appreciate
>
>         Thanks
>

>         Raul Leite
>         sp4wn.root@gmail.com <mailto:sp4wn.root@gmail.com>
>         <mailto:sp4wn.root@gmail.com <mailto:sp4wn.root@gmail.com>>
>

>     --

* Re: proof selinux
@ 2012-08-29  5:57       ` William Roberts
From: William Roberts @ 2012-08-29  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick K., ITF; +Cc: SELinux

I never said it stops an overflow from occurring, it merely mitigates an
attack that was accomplished through an overflow....or similar memory
corruption error.

* Re: proof selinux
@ 2012-08-29  7:28 ` Russell Coker
From: Russell Coker @ 2012-08-29  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raul da Silva {Sp4wn}; +Cc: selinux

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012, "Raul da Silva {Sp4wn}" <sp4wn.root@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know that we have a lot of ways to prove how effective is SELinux as cgi,
> perl, shell scripts and I know that is effective but I'd like to know if
> someone already tested some kind of exploit of buffer overflow attack as
> demo to show how effective could be SELinux.
> Any information I really appreciate

A simple test of this would be to run a program like telnetd as httpd_t (or
some other domain that takes remote connections) and configure it to launch a
shell with no password.

http://www.coker.com.au/selinux/play.html

Also I have a Play Machine online right now to demonstrate how the root
account can be locked down.

* Re: proof selinux
@ 2012-08-29 18:40   ` David Quigley
From: David Quigley @ 2012-08-29 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: russell; +Cc: Raul da Silva {Sp4wn}, selinux

On 08/29/2012 03:28, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012, "Raul da Silva {Sp4wn}" <sp4wn.root@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I know that we have a lot of ways to prove how effective is SELinux
>> as cgi,
>> perl, shell scripts and I know that is effective but I'd like to
>> know if
>> someone already tested some kind of exploit of buffer overflow
>> attack as
>> demo to show how effective could be SELinux.
>> Any information I really appreciate
>
> A simple test of this would be to run a program like telnetd as
> httpd_t (or
> some other domain that takes remote connections) and configure it to
> launch a
> shell with no password.
>
> http://www.coker.com.au/selinux/play.html
>
> Also I have a Play Machine online right now to demonstrate how the
> root
> account can be locked down.

An easier example is what I use for my SELinux talks. Custom file
transfer daemon (gets only) which has a very critical flaw in it. It
doesn't sanitize the path that is requested for the binary. Because of
this you can use .. repeatedly to get where you need to in the
filesystem hierarchy and pull any file you want. Once you install the
SELinux policy it will only allow you to pull files with the correct
content type.

https://github.com/dpquigl/ftransferd

* Re: proof selinux
@ 2012-09-04 18:20         ` Daniel J Walsh
From: Daniel J Walsh @ 2012-09-04 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Roberts; +Cc: Patrick K., ITF, SELinux

On 08/29/2012 01:57 AM, William Roberts wrote:
> [...]
> perl, shell scripts and I know that is effective but I'd like to know if
> someone already tested some kind of exploit of buffer overflow attack as
> demo to show how effective could be SELinux. Any information I really
> appreciate
>
> Thanks
>

> Raul Leite sp4wn.root@gmail.com <mailto:sp4wn.root@gmail.com>
> <mailto:sp4wn.root@gmail.com <mailto:sp4wn.root@gmail.com>>
> <mailto:sp4wn.root@gmail.com <mailto:sp4wn.root@gmail.com>
> <mailto:sp4wn.root@gmail.com <mailto:sp4wn.root@gmail.com>>>
>

> -- This message was distributed to subscribers of the selinux mailing
> list. If you no longer wish to subscribe, send mail to
> majordomo@tycho.nsa.gov <mailto:majordomo@tycho.nsa.gov>
> <mailto:majordomo@tycho.nsa.__gov <mailto:majordomo@tycho.nsa.gov>> with
> the words "unsubscribe selinux" without quotes as the message.

I like this demo.

http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/44090.html