* Re: UST app and lttng-tools compatibility
       [not found] <50670C5A.4060800@gmail.com>
@ 2012-09-29 18:28 ` Mathieu Desnoyers
       [not found] ` <20120929182800.GA19994@Krystal>
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2012-09-29 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Giraldeau, dgoulet; +Cc: lttng-dev

* Francis Giraldeau (francis.giraldeau@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to share my lttng-ust 2.1 update experience, maybe it will save
> time for others.
>
> I updated lttng-ust recently. After this change, the app would not
> produce a trace anymore. No error message is displayed by the traced app
> to indicate that something is wrong. Even when setting LTTNG_DEBUG_UST
> to the app's environment variable, there is no error message. The debug
> output suggests that probes are registered and everything is fine, while
> it's not.
>
> By running lttng-sessiond with -vvv --verbose-consumer, I finally got
>
> DEBUG2: UST app PID 8112 is not compatible with major version 3
> (supporting <= 2) [in ust_app_validate_version() at ust-app.c:2633]
>
> Updating lttng-tools to 2.1 solved the issue. Seems that it's mandatory
> to update lttng-tools to support latest lttng-ust. It may be obvious for
> developers, but it should be clear for users that they must upgrade both.
>
> IMHO, It would be nice if the app side log could tell if the
> session/consumer refused the registration.

I agree we should do better.

Regarding lttng-tools, I think changing this DBG2 message to a WARN
message would help, so sessiond would show the warning, except in the
case where it is started with "-d".

On the application side, this is a bit tricky. It has no way to find out
that it has been rejected by the sessiond. The application registers at
startup, and then the sessiond keeps the connexion active, but flags it
as incompatible internally. The reason we do that is because we don't
want the application to retry endlessly.

Moreover, I cannot change the code for the existing 2.0 UST libs, so
adding a new message is not possible.

One thing we have in mind for 2.2 or 2.3 is to add syslog support within
the sessiond. This would provide a nice centralized place to look at
those logs.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

> Cheers,
>
> Francis Giraldeau

Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.
http://www.efficios.com

@ 2012-10-01  3:42   ` Francis Giraldeau
       [not found]   ` <5069111F.1080604@gmail.com>
From: Francis Giraldeau @ 2012-10-01  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lttng-dev, Mathieu Desnoyers

Le 2012-09-29 14:28, Mathieu Desnoyers a écrit :
> * Francis Giraldeau (francis.giraldeau@gmail.com) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to share my lttng-ust 2.1 update experience, maybe it will save
>> time for others.
>>
>> I updated lttng-ust recently. After this change, the app would not
>> produce a trace anymore. No error message is displayed by the traced app
>> to indicate that something is wrong. Even when setting LTTNG_DEBUG_UST
>> to the app's environment variable, there is no error message. The debug
>> output suggests that probes are registered and everything is fine, while
>> it's not.
>>
>> By running lttng-sessiond with -vvv --verbose-consumer, I finally got
>>
>> DEBUG2: UST app PID 8112 is not compatible with major version 3
>> (supporting <= 2) [in ust_app_validate_version() at ust-app.c:2633]
>>
>> Updating lttng-tools to 2.1 solved the issue. Seems that it's mandatory
>> to update lttng-tools to support latest lttng-ust. It may be obvious for
>> developers, but it should be clear for users that they must upgrade both.
>>
>> IMHO, It would be nice if the app side log could tell if the
>> session/consumer refused the registration.
>
> I agree we should do better.
>
> Regarding lttng-tools, I think changing this DBG2 message to a WARN
> message would help, so sessiond would show the warning, except in the
> case where it is started with "-d".

Excellent idea.

> On the application side, this is a bit tricky. It has no way to find out
> that it has been rejected by the sessiond. The application registers at
> startup, and then the sessiond keeps the connexion active, but flags it
> as incompatible internally. The reason we do that is because we don't
> want the application to retry endlessly.

Could the registration process block until the sessiond returns some
status? I understand that in commercial setup, the application should
not be prevented to start and run normally if tracing is not available
or misconfigured. But for developers, some env var like
"LTTNG_ABORT_ON_ERROR" could help to diagnose this king of problem.

> Moreover, I cannot change the code for the existing 2.0 UST libs, so
> adding a new message is not possible.

Of course! ;)

> One thing we have in mind for 2.2 or 2.3 is to add syslog support within
> the sessiond. This would provide a nice centralized place to look at
> those logs.

I think it would be great. It's a bit less hidden, but certainly address
concerns for production, and still can be used by developers. An error
message is better than no one! ;)

Cheers,

Francis

[-- Attachment #1.2: Signature cryptographique S/MIME --]

@ 2012-10-01 14:56     ` Mathieu Desnoyers
       [not found]     ` <20121001145619.GB13423@Krystal>
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2012-10-01 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Giraldeau, dgoulet; +Cc: lttng-dev

* Francis Giraldeau (francis.giraldeau@gmail.com) wrote:
> Le 2012-09-29 14:28, Mathieu Desnoyers a écrit :
> > * Francis Giraldeau (francis.giraldeau@gmail.com) wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I wanted to share my lttng-ust 2.1 update experience, maybe it will save
> >> time for others.
> >>
> >> I updated lttng-ust recently. After this change, the app would not
> >> produce a trace anymore. No error message is displayed by the traced app
> >> to indicate that something is wrong. Even when setting LTTNG_DEBUG_UST
> >> to the app's environment variable, there is no error message. The debug
> >> output suggests that probes are registered and everything is fine, while
> >> it's not.
> >>
> >> By running lttng-sessiond with -vvv --verbose-consumer, I finally got
> >>
> >> DEBUG2: UST app PID 8112 is not compatible with major version 3
> >> (supporting <= 2) [in ust_app_validate_version() at ust-app.c:2633]
> >>
> >> Updating lttng-tools to 2.1 solved the issue. Seems that it's mandatory
> >> to update lttng-tools to support latest lttng-ust. It may be obvious for
> >> developers, but it should be clear for users that they must upgrade both.
> >>
> >> IMHO, It would be nice if the app side log could tell if the
> >> session/consumer refused the registration.
> >
> > I agree we should do better.
> >
> > Regarding lttng-tools, I think changing this DBG2 message to a WARN
> > message would help, so sessiond would show the warning, except in the
> > case where it is started with "-d".
>
> Excellent idea.

David, can you make this change ?

> > On the application side, this is a bit tricky. It has no way to find out
> > that it has been rejected by the sessiond. The application registers at
> > startup, and then the sessiond keeps the connexion active, but flags it
> > as incompatible internally. The reason we do that is because we don't
> > want the application to retry endlessly.
>
> Could the registration process block until the sessiond returns some
> status?

The session is not "returning" anything to the application. The
application is registering to the sessiond, and all the sessiond can do
is to keep the socket alive or close it.

Even if we added a "command" that the sessiond could use to tell the
application it has a wrong version, that would not be 2.0 material, and
the application wouldn't know about it. Moreover, given we have changed
the communication protocol, not sure we would like to have this extra
command as entirely fixed for now, as it would be part of the
communication protocol (which is not the case for the initial app
registration, with is part of a lower level protocol).

> I understand that in commercial setup, the application should
> not be prevented to start and run normally if tracing is not available
> or misconfigured.

By default, we only block the application for up to 3 seconds at
registration. I think that if we start the application with
LTTNG_UST_REGISTER_TIMEOUT=-1, the application will, in this case, block
forever (see man lttng-ust).

Thanks!

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.

@ 2012-10-01 15:06       ` David Goulet
       [not found]       ` <20121001152435.GA13628@Krystal>
From: David Goulet @ 2012-10-01 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: lttng-dev

Mathieu Desnoyers:
> * Francis Giraldeau (francis.giraldeau@gmail.com) wrote:

>>> I agree we should do better.
>>>
>>> Regarding lttng-tools, I think changing this DBG2 message to a
>>> WARN message would help, so sessiond would show the warning,
>>> except in the case where it is started with "-d".
>>
>> Excellent idea.
>
> David, can you make this change ?

Yes!

David

@ 2012-10-01 15:24       ` Mathieu Desnoyers
       [not found]       ` <20121001152435.GA13628@Krystal>
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2012-10-01 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Giraldeau, dgoulet; +Cc: lttng-dev

* Mathieu Desnoyers (mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com) wrote:
> * Francis Giraldeau (francis.giraldeau@gmail.com) wrote:
[...]
> > Could the registration process block until the sessiond returns some
> > status?
>
> The session is not "returning" anything to the application. The
> application is registering to the sessiond, and all the sessiond can do
> is to keep the socket alive or close it.
>
> Even if we added a "command" that the sessiond could use to tell the
> application it has a wrong version, that would not be 2.0 material, and
> the application wouldn't know about it. Moreover, given we have changed
> the communication protocol, not sure we would like to have this extra
> command as entirely fixed for now, as it would be part of the
> communication protocol (which is not the case for the initial app
> registration, with is part of a lower level protocol).
>
> > I understand that in commercial setup, the application should
> > not be prevented to start and run normally if tracing is not available
> > or misconfigured.
>
> By default, we only block the application for up to 3 seconds at
> registration. I think that if we start the application with
> LTTNG_UST_REGISTER_TIMEOUT=-1, the application will, in this case, block
> forever (see man lttng-ust).

Let me take this last part back. That was a pre-morning-coffee
statement. ;) The application will receive a "registration done" message
when the version is found to be incompatible. Therefore, it will never
wait for the incompatible sessiond.

One thing we could do to make transition smoother between future
versions would be to add a new command to let the sessiond send its own
version info to the application. In this command's handler, the
application could show a warning on stderr. This could not apply to 2.0,
but we could do it starting from 2.1.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.

@ 2012-10-01 15:27         ` David Goulet
       [not found]         ` <5069B658.8010106@efficios.com>
From: David Goulet @ 2012-10-01 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: lttng-dev

Mathieu Desnoyers:
> * Mathieu Desnoyers (mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com) wrote:
>> * Francis Giraldeau (francis.giraldeau@gmail.com) wrote:
> [...]
>>> Could the registration process block until the sessiond returns
>>> some status?
>>
>> The session is not "returning" anything to the application. The
>> application is registering to the sessiond, and all the sessiond
>> can do is to keep the socket alive or close it.
>>
>> Even if we added a "command" that the sessiond could use to tell
>> the application it has a wrong version, that would not be 2.0
>> material, and the application wouldn't know about it. Moreover,
>> given we have changed the communication protocol, not sure we
>> would like to have this extra command as entirely fixed for now,
>> as it would be part of the communication protocol (which is not
>> the case for the initial app registration, with is part of a
>> lower level protocol).
>>
>>> I understand that in commercial setup, the application should
>>> not be prevented to start and run normally if tracing is not
>>> available or misconfigured.
>>
>> By default, we only block the application for up to 3 seconds at
>> registration. I think that if we start the application with
>> LTTNG_UST_REGISTER_TIMEOUT=-1, the application will, in this
>> case, block forever (see man lttng-ust).
>
> Let me take this last part back. That was a pre-morning-coffee
> statement. ;) The application will receive a "registration done"
> message when the version is found to be incompatible. Therefore, it
> will never wait for the incompatible sessiond.
>
> One thing we could do to make transition smoother between future
> versions would be to add a new command to let the sessiond send its
> own version info to the application. In this command's handler,
> the application could show a warning on stderr. This could not
> apply to 2.0, but we could do it starting from 2.1.
>
> Thoughts ?

Why sending version infos instead of a "incompatible" command ?

David

@ 2012-10-01 15:31           ` Mathieu Desnoyers
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2012-10-01 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Goulet; +Cc: lttng-dev

* David Goulet (dgoulet@efficios.com) wrote:

> Mathieu Desnoyers:
> > * Mathieu Desnoyers (mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com) wrote:
> >> * Francis Giraldeau (francis.giraldeau@gmail.com) wrote:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> The session is not "returning" anything to the application. The
> >> application is registering to the sessiond, and all the sessiond
> >> can do is to keep the socket alive or close it.
> >>
> >> Even if we added a "command" that the sessiond could use to tell
> >> the application it has a wrong version, that would not be 2.0
> >> material, and the application wouldn't know about it. Moreover,
> >> given we have changed the communication protocol, not sure we
> >> would like to have this extra command as entirely fixed for now,
> >> as it would be part of the communication protocol (which is not
> >> the case for the initial app registration, with is part of a
> >> lower level protocol).

> >> By default, we only block the application for up to 3 seconds at
> >> registration. I think that if we start the application with
> >> LTTNG_UST_REGISTER_TIMEOUT=-1, the application will, in this
> >> case, block forever (see man lttng-ust).
> >
> > Let me take this last part back. That was a pre-morning-coffee
> > statement. ;) The application will receive a "registration done"
> > message when the version is found to be incompatible. Therefore, it
> > will never wait for the incompatible sessiond.
> >
> > One thing we could do to make transition smoother between future
> > versions would be to add a new command to let the sessiond send its
> > own version info to the application. In this command's handler,
> > the application could show a warning on stderr. This could not
> > apply to 2.0, but we could do it starting from 2.1.
> >
> > Thoughts ?
>
> Why sending version infos instead of a "incompatible" command ?

It could very well be an "incompatible" command, but it would need to
contain the version info, so the application can print the versions.

The main difference between sending version info (all the time) and the
"incompatible" command is that the version info would be sent all the
time. It could provide better debugging logs in the app when using
LTTNG_UST_DEBUG=1, but would require one extra message at app
registration. Not sure which is best.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,

Mathieu