* [Xenomai] Best ARM-based Linux Distribution for Xenomai
@ 2012-10-20 21:31 Bill Smith
From: Bill Smith @ 2012-10-20 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hello again,

Since I am just now beginning the steps to building a cross compile
environment for the BeagleBone for inclusion with Xenomai 2.6.2, are there
any list member opinions about the best Linux distribution to run on the
BeagleBone?

I am currently running Angstrom (stock that ships with the BeagleBone), but
it seems that Debian has better support for Xenomai?

My requirements are fairly simple:  Xenomai 2.6.2, hardware RNG (or
cryptographically strong entropy from /dev/random or /dev/urandom).

Support for GNU MP (arbitrary precision math libraries); and, filesystem
support for GPIO/PWM control like Angstrom supports would be helpful as
well.

* Re: [Xenomai] Best ARM-based Linux Distribution for Xenomai
@ 2012-10-21  1:18 ` Flavio Castro Alves Filho
From: Flavio Castro Alves Filho @ 2012-10-21  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Smith; +Cc: xenomai

Hello,

I don't think that there is a better distribution for Xenomai.

And I also don't think there is a pre-installed Xenomai in any
arm-based Linux distribution.

If you have to build your own kernel and Xenomai lib, any distribution
will be nice for your project.

Best regards,

Flavio

2012/10/20 Bill Smith <shoozboot@gmail.com>:
> Hello again,
>
> Since I am just now beginning the steps to building a cross compile
> environment for the BeagleBone for inclusion with Xenomai 2.6.2, are there
> any list member opinions about the best Linux distribution to run on the
> BeagleBone?
>
> I am currently running Angstrom (stock that ships with the BeagleBone), but
> it seems that Debian has better support for Xenomai?
>
> My requirements are fairly simple:  Xenomai 2.6.2, hardware RNG (or
> cryptographically strong entropy from /dev/random or /dev/urandom).
>
> Support for GNU MP (arbitrary precision math libraries); and, filesystem
> support for GPIO/PWM control like Angstrom supports would be helpful as
> well.

Flavio de Castro Alves Filho

flavio.alves@gmail.com
www.linuxembarcado.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/fraviofii
LinkedIn profile: www.linkedin.com/in/flaviocastroalves

* Re: [Xenomai] Best ARM-based Linux Distribution for Xenomai
@ 2012-10-22 18:58   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2012-10-22 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flavio Castro Alves Filho; +Cc: xenomai

Dear Flavio Castro Alves Filho,

In message <CAFNBftfNPqty915_2hgMX+3W3S2UVt1sQgwnFsOufMVXFV3TFA@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> And I also don't think there is a pre-installed Xenomai in any
> arm-based Linux distribution.

If you call the ELDK a "distribution", then the next release (ELDK
v5.3) will include Xenomai, at least for the PowerPC and ARM
architectures.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de
The day-to-day travails of the IBM programmer are so amusing to  most
of us who are fortunate enough never to have been one - like watching
Charlie Chaplin trying to cook a shoe.

* Re: [Xenomai] Best ARM-based Linux Distribution for Xenomai
@ 2012-10-22 19:05     ` Bill Smith
From: Bill Smith @ 2012-10-22 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Denk; +Cc: xenomai

I see the BeagleBoard-XM listed as a target, but no specific mention of the
BeagleBone.  Any idea if this next release will have specific support for
the BeagleBone?

Which 2.6 kernel release will this be based on?

Thanks in advance

@ 2012-10-22 19:07       ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2012-10-22 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Smith; +Cc: xenomai

On 10/22/2012 09:05 PM, Bill Smith wrote:

> I see the BeagleBoard-XM listed as a target, but no specific mention of the
> BeagleBone.  Any idea if this next release will have specific support for
> the BeagleBone?
>
> Which 2.6 kernel release will this be based on?

How many times are you going to ask the same questions? Why do not you
simply read the answers you were given?

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Best ARM-based Linux Distribution for Xenomai
@ 2012-10-22 19:35         ` Bill Smith
From: Bill Smith @ 2012-10-22 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

Your reply of "...[t]he answer given for the hypthetic Xenomai 2.6.2
applies to Xenomai 2.6.1" was somewhat cryptic.

And by cryptic, I mean not helpful at all.

@ 2012-10-22 19:41           ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2012-10-22 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Smith; +Cc: xenomai

On 10/22/2012 09:35 PM, Bill Smith wrote:

> Your reply of "...[t]he answer given for the hypthetic Xenomai 2.6.2
> applies to Xenomai 2.6.1" was somewhat cryptic.
>
> And by cryptic, I mean not helpful at all.

s/hypthetic/hypothetic/

I referred to the answer given to the same question you asked for
Xenomai 2.6.2:
"Xenomai 2.6.2 is not out yet. But when it is out, simply go in the
ksrc/arch/arm/patches directory and look for the available patches.
"

I meant in the "ksrc/arch/arm/patches" directory in the xenomai release
sources.

Anyway, when you do not understand an answer, it gets less on my nerves
if you say "I do not understand" than if you keep asking dumbly the same
question over and over again.

And by the way, it would be nice if you respected a bit the little
netiquette we have on this list:
- no top posting
- lines wrapped to 80 characters
- no html
- no private messages.

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Best ARM-based Linux Distribution for Xenomai
@ 2012-10-22 19:57           ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2012-10-22 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Smith; +Cc: xenomai

On 10/22/2012 09:35 PM, Bill Smith wrote:

> Your reply of "...[t]he answer given for the hypthetic Xenomai 2.6.2
> applies to Xenomai 2.6.1" was somewhat cryptic.
>
> And by cryptic, I mean not helpful at all.

Do not forget that we are not a proprietary support you are paying for,
this list has no obligation to give you any answer, we usually prefer
giving answer to people who:
- have read the website (for instance, the FAQ gives you a link telling
you on which boards xenomai is supported, the news section tells you
which xenomai version is the last)
- ask smart questions:

Also not all people reading this list and able to give an answer to your
question (for instance, people using Xenomai on BeagleBone which could
tell you their plan for inclusion or not in the next Xenomai release)
read the list with the same frequency. So, when you ask a question, you
should wait for at least a week or two before asking it again (some
people read weekly digests).

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Best ARM-based Linux Distribution for Xenomai
@ 2012-10-22 20:03             ` Bill Smith
From: Bill Smith @ 2012-10-22 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

"...when you keep asking dumbly the same question..."?

Listen nerdhole.  I sent the list a very simple question -
what is the most recent Linux kernel revision supported
by Xenomai.  To which you responded with a bunch of
obtuse gibberish.

Practice what you preach.  This message has been
wrapped to less than 80 chars.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Gilles Chanteperdrix <

@ 2012-10-22 20:12               ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2012-10-22 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Smith; +Cc: xenomai

On 10/22/2012 10:03 PM, Bill Smith wrote:

> "...when you keep asking dumbly the same question..."?
>
> Listen nerdhole.  I sent the list a very simple question -
> what is the most recent Linux kernel revision supported
> by Xenomai.

The answer has not changed. Go in the ksrc/arch/arm/patches directory in
xenomai sources and see for yourself. We have a git web, you can
download the sources, so, this information is not hidden in any way, you
can find this for yourself.

If I show you how to get the information by yourself you will not have
to ask the same question for the next release.

>  To which you responded with a bunch of
> obtuse gibberish.
>
> Practice what you preach.  This message has been
> wrapped to less than 80 chars.

Mine are wrapped to 72 characters.
And you are still top-posting.

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Best ARM-based Linux Distribution for Xenomai
@ 2012-10-22 20:19                 ` Bill Smith
From: Bill Smith @ 2012-10-22 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

I do not understand what you mean by the top-posting.

In the America Online, I hit the Reply-All smiley face button,
and then I send the email.

What is the correct way to send out the emails?

@ 2012-10-22 20:21                   ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2012-10-22 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Smith; +Cc: xenomai

On 10/22/2012 10:19 PM, Bill Smith wrote:

> I do not understand what you mean by the top-posting.
>
> In the America Online, I hit the Reply-All smiley face button,
> and then I send the email.
>
> What is the correct way to send out the emails?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=top+posting

And what part of "no html" do you not understand?

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Best ARM-based Linux Distribution for Xenomai
@ 2012-10-22 20:25                     ` Bill Smith
From: Bill Smith @ 2012-10-22 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=top+posting
>
> And what part of "no html" do you not understand?
>
> --
>                                                                 Gilles.

My time machine will never get finished at this pace.

* Re: [Xenomai] Best ARM-based Linux Distribution for Xenomai
@ 2012-10-22 21:59       ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2012-10-22 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Smith; +Cc: xenomai

Dear Bill,

In message <CAD0gx3h3p4X73Q+2f_39hB4SHzOVO0f0JkaUy7bh+bp4ROPB_g@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I see the BeagleBoard-XM listed as a target, but no specific mention of the
> BeagleBone.  Any idea if this next release will have specific support for
> the BeagleBone?

Unlike Yocto, ELDK is _not_ focussed on specific boards, but on CPU
architectures.  Of course, any board support present in a Yocto
release is also available in the ELDK release based on that.

> Which 2.6 kernel release will this be based on?

None.  2.6 is obsolete.  Welcome to the world of 3.x kernels...

ELDK v5.3 will use likely be based on Linux v3.6.3 for regular
images, and v3.2.21 fir Xenomai support.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de
This was an  amazing  creation  using  small  squares  of  compressed
vegetable  matter on which letters were made by means of small carbon
particles from a stylus, giving an effect similar to the  traditional
word-processor  screen. It seemed amazingly portable and I never once
saw him have to change the batteries.
        - Terry Pratchett & Stephen Briggs, _The Discworld Companion_