* New member queries..
@ 2012-10-05  7:46 shampavman.cg
From: shampavman.cg @ 2012-10-05  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Guys,

I'm new to linux kernel development (only a few hrs old i may say). I've
been working with the solaris kernel from the past year and now would
like to concentrate on linux as well.
"My area of expertise is Filesystems".

Here are a few things i would like to know from you guys.
1.) I've looked at the bugzilla pages, how do i choose a bite sized bug
to start with? (Is there such a concept at all?)
2.) I looked at kernelJanitors page as well hoping to find info but
nothing much there .

Can anyone help me get started?

Thanks
Shampavman

* New member queries..
@ 2012-10-22 18:59 ` Sarah Sharp
From: Sarah Sharp @ 2012-10-22 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 01:16:43PM +0530, shampavman.cg wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm new to linux kernel development (only a few hrs old i may say). I've
> been working with the solaris kernel from the past year and now would
> like to concentrate on linux as well.
> "My area of expertise is Filesystems".
>
> Here are a few things i would like to know from you guys.
> 1.) I've looked at the bugzilla pages, how do i choose a bite sized bug
> to start with? (Is there such a concept at all?)

Not really.  Most Linux kernel developers don't keep track of their
byte-sized bugs in bugzilla.  Most just keep them in their heads and
don't have time to share.

> 2.) I looked at kernelJanitors page as well hoping to find info but
> nothing much there .
>
> Can anyone help me get started?

You might try joining the various filesystem mailing lists and watching
the traffic to see where the current areas of work are:

http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html

For example, I see the lists ecryptfs, linux-btrfs, linux-cifs,
linux-fsdevel, linux-nfs, linux-xfs, and linux-ext4.

I would suggest working on either ext4 or btrfs.  B-tree FS (or btrfs)
is one of the newer filesystems, and it needs a lot more work than, say,
nfs.  Ted T'so is the maintainer for ext4, and Chris Mason is the
maintainer for btrfs.  Emailing them to find out what tasks need to be
done would be a good start.

Sarah Sharp

* New member queries..
@ 2012-10-22 21:25   ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2012-10-22 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Sarah Sharp
<sarah.a.sharp@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 01:16:43PM +0530, shampavman.cg wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I'm new to linux kernel development (only a few hrs old i may say). I've
>> been working with the solaris kernel from the past year and now would
>> like to concentrate on linux as well.
>> "My area of expertise is Filesystems".
>>
>> Here are a few things i would like to know from you guys.
>> 1.) I've looked at the bugzilla pages, how do i choose a bite sized bug
>> to start with? (Is there such a concept at all?)
>
> Not really.  Most Linux kernel developers don't keep track of their
> byte-sized bugs in bugzilla.  Most just keep them in their heads and
> don't have time to share.
>
>> 2.) I looked at kernelJanitors page as well hoping to find info but
>> nothing much there .
>>
>> Can anyone help me get started?
>
> You might try joining the various filesystem mailing lists and watching
> the traffic to see where the current areas of work are:
>
> http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html
>
> For example, I see the lists ecryptfs, linux-btrfs, linux-cifs,
> linux-fsdevel, linux-nfs, linux-xfs, and linux-ext4.
>
> I would suggest working on either ext4 or btrfs.  B-tree FS (or btrfs)
> is one of the newer filesystems, and it needs a lot more work than, say,
> nfs.  Ted T'so is the maintainer for ext4, and Chris Mason is the
> maintainer for btrfs.  Emailing them to find out what tasks need to be
> done would be a good start.
>
> Sarah Sharp

marc.info is a great repository of the various LKML posts.

I quick search for ext4 todo found this "Relatively simple ext4 todo item":

http://marc.info/?l=linux-ext4&m=128294436026631&w=2

It's a couple months old, but I don't see a reply in marc.info, so
likely no one picked it up.

Greg
Greg

* New member queries..
@ 2012-10-23  3:55     ` Dave Hellewell
From: Dave Hellewell @ 2012-10-23  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 23/10/12 08:25, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> I quick search for ext4 todo found this "Relatively simple ext4 todo item":
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-ext4&m=128294436026631&w=2
>
> It's a couple months old, but I don't see a reply in marc.info, so
> likely no one picked it up.

A couple of years actually :) But I guess the search method is the main
point.

-Dave