* Virtual machine images from yocto developer day
@ 2012-11-15 12:05 Fredrik Hugosson
From: Fredrik Hugosson @ 2012-11-15 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Osier-Mixon, yocto

Hi!

Thanks for a great developer day in Barcelona!

Is it possible to get the vdi-files or appliances (which ever it was)
used for the labs? It would save some valuable time when doing labs with
beginners here at work.

Best regards
/Fredrik Hugosson

* Re: Virtual machine images from yocto developer day
@ 2012-11-15 18:24 ` Scott Garman
From: Scott Garman @ 2012-11-15 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 11/15/2012 04:05 AM, Fredrik Hugosson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thanks for a great developer day in Barcelona!
>
> Is it possible to get the vdi-files or appliances (which ever it was)
> used for the labs? It would save some valuable time when doing labs with
> beginners here at work.
>
> Best regards
> /Fredrik Hugosson

Which labs? For the intro labs, the computers were running Linux
natively. I took some notes on how I set up those machines I can send
you off-list if you'd like - let me know.

Things *should* just work if you're using a recent release of Ubuntu,
Fedora, or OpenSUSE and follow the setup instructions in our Quick Start
Guide:

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/yocto-project-qs/yocto-project-qs.html

Scott

--
Scott Garman
Embedded Linux Engineer - Yocto Project

* Re: Virtual machine images from yocto developer day
@ 2012-11-15 18:50   ` Jeff Osier-Mixon
From: Jeff Osier-Mixon @ 2012-11-15 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Garman; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Scott Garman <scott.a.garman@intel.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/2012 04:05 AM, Fredrik Hugosson wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Thanks for a great developer day in Barcelona!
>>
>> Is it possible to get the vdi-files or appliances (which ever it was)
>> used for the labs? It would save some valuable time when doing labs with
>> beginners here at work.
>>
>> Best regards
>> /Fredrik Hugosson
>

> Which labs? For the intro labs, the computers were running Linux natively. I
> took some notes on how I set up those machines I can send you off-list if
> you'd like - let me know.
>
> Things *should* just work if you're using a recent release of Ubuntu,
> Fedora, or OpenSUSE and follow the setup instructions in our Quick Start
> Guide:
>
> https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/yocto-project-qs/yocto-project-qs.html

Just a side note that I should have materials available on the website
by the end of this week

--
Jeff Osier-Mixon http://jefro.net/blog
Yocto Project Community Manager @Intel http://yoctoproject.org

* Re: Virtual machine images from yocto developer day
@ 2012-11-15 18:57     ` William Mills
From: William Mills @ 2012-11-15 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Osier-Mixon; +Cc: Yocto Project, Scott Garman

On 11/15/2012 01:50 PM, Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Scott Garman<scott.a.garman@intel.com>  wrote:
>> On 11/15/2012 04:05 AM, Fredrik Hugosson wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Thanks for a great developer day in Barcelona!
>>>
>>> Is it possible to get the vdi-files or appliances (which ever it was)
>>> used for the labs? It would save some valuable time when doing labs with
>>> beginners here at work.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> /Fredrik Hugosson
>>
>> Which labs? For the intro labs, the computers were running Linux natively. I
>> took some notes on how I set up those machines I can send you off-list if
>> you'd like - let me know.
>>
>> Things *should* just work if you're using a recent release of Ubuntu,
>> Fedora, or OpenSUSE and follow the setup instructions in our Quick Start
>> Guide:
>>
>> https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/yocto-project-qs/yocto-project-qs.html
> Just a side note that I should have materials available on the website
> by the end of this week

I would encourage the presenters to share the setup instructions also so
that some one can follow the course ware.  Some of the steps in the labs
assume setup has been done.

* Re: Virtual machine images from yocto developer day
@ 2012-11-16 17:56       ` Scott Garman
From: Scott Garman @ 2012-11-16 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Mills; +Cc: Yocto Project

On 11/15/2012 10:57 AM, William Mills wrote:

>>> Which labs? For the intro labs, the computers were running Linux
>>> natively. I
>>> took some notes on how I set up those machines I can send you
>>> off-list if
>>> you'd like - let me know.
>>>
>>> Things *should* just work if you're using a recent release of Ubuntu,
>>> Fedora, or OpenSUSE and follow the setup instructions in our Quick Start
>>> Guide:
>>>
>>> https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/yocto-project-qs/yocto-project-qs.html
>>>
>> Just a side note that I should have materials available on the website
>> by the end of this week
>
> I would encourage the presenters to share the setup instructions also so
> that some one can follow the course ware.  Some of the steps in the labs
> assume setup has been done.

I'm all for sharing the info so that this training material can scale as
much as possible. Looking over the notes I took, they were mostly about
how to set up the desktop environment for the lab computers. I do intend
to improve that to include further details about the actual build
environment setup.

I'm taking my last bit of vacation time for the year starting today and
will be back on Nov 26th, so I've added an item to my todo list and will
get back to this eventually.

Scott