* Git does not understand absolute Win'dos' path
@ 2012-11-14  9:12 Martin Lichtin
From: Martin Lichtin @ 2012-11-14  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi

Maven's release plugin prepares a call Git like in this example:

cmd.exe /X /C "git commit --verbose -F C:\cygwin\tmp\maven-scm-915771020.commit pom.xml"

Git doesn't seem to understand the -F argument and treats it like a relative path (relative to the repository root):

$ cmd.exe /X /C "git commit --verbose -F C:\cygwin\tmp\commit pom.xml"
fatal: could not read log file 'mytestdir/C:\cygwin\tmp\commit': No such file or directory

* Re: Git does not understand absolute Win'dos' path
@ 2012-11-14  9:45 ` Johannes Sixt
From: Johannes Sixt @ 2012-11-14  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Lichtin; +Cc: git

Am 11/14/2012 10:12, schrieb Martin Lichtin:
> Maven's release plugin prepares a call Git like in this example:
>
> cmd.exe /X /C "git commit --verbose -F
> C:\cygwin\tmp\maven-scm-915771020.commit pom.xml"
>
> Git doesn't seem to understand the -F argument and treats it like a
> relative path (relative to the repository root):
>
> $ cmd.exe /X /C "git commit --verbose -F C:\cygwin\tmp\commit pom.xml"
> fatal: could not read log file 'mytestdir/C:\cygwin\tmp\commit': No
> such file or directory

According to the code, this should not happen if you are using msysgit.
For this reason, I guess you are using Cygwin git. Right?

I don't know what Cygwin programs are supposed to do if they receive an
argument that looks like a Windows style absolute path.

OTOH, it could be argued that Maven should not treat a Cygwin program like
a DOS program, and it should pass the path in the POSIXy form
/c/cygwin/tmp/commit or /tmp/commit.

-- Hannes

* Re: Git does not understand absolute Win'dos' path
@ 2012-11-15 19:20   ` Ramsay Jones
From: Ramsay Jones @ 2012-11-15 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Sixt; +Cc: Martin Lichtin, git

Johannes Sixt wrote:
> Am 11/14/2012 10:12, schrieb Martin Lichtin:
>> Maven's release plugin prepares a call Git like in this example:
>>
>> cmd.exe /X /C "git commit --verbose -F
>> C:\cygwin\tmp\maven-scm-915771020.commit pom.xml"
>>
>> Git doesn't seem to understand the -F argument and treats it like a
>> relative path (relative to the repository root):
>>
>> $ cmd.exe /X /C "git commit --verbose -F C:\cygwin\tmp\commit pom.xml"
>> fatal: could not read log file 'mytestdir/C:\cygwin\tmp\commit': No
>> such file or directory
>
> According to the code, this should not happen if you are using msysgit.
> For this reason, I guess you are using Cygwin git. Right?
>
> I don't know what Cygwin programs are supposed to do if they receive an
> argument that looks like a Windows style absolute path.
>
> OTOH, it could be argued that Maven should not treat a Cygwin program like
> a DOS program, and it should pass the path in the POSIXy form
> /c/cygwin/tmp/commit or /tmp/commit.

I would argue precisely this! :-D

ATB,
Ramsay Jones