* [Xenomai] Xenomai support has been added to the OMG Data Distribution Service (DDS) Implementation from RTI
@ 2012-11-17 22:37 Gerardo Pardo-Castellote
From: Gerardo Pardo-Castellote @ 2012-11-17 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hello,

I wanted to make everyone aware that RTI just added support for Xenomai
to RTI Connext DDS.  This is RTI's implementation of the OMG
Data-Distribution Service standard specification.

If deemed appropriate you could add this link to your Weblinks page:
http://community.rti.com/content/forum-topic/howto-use-dds-xenomai-configure-xenomai-and-run-rti-connext-dds

Interestingly the weblinks page includes a link to Orocos which just has
a recent thread of people discussing how to run DDS on Xenomai. See
http://www.orocos.org/forum/orocos/orocos-users/using-non-realtime-library-function-calls-realtime-component

Regards,

Gerardo

--
RTI Logo
Gerardo Pardo-Castellote, Ph.D.

* Re: [Xenomai] Xenomai support has been added to the OMG Data Distribution Service (DDS) Implementation from RTI
@ 2012-11-18 10:38 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2012-11-18 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerardo Pardo-Castellote; +Cc: xenomai

On 11/17/2012 11:37 PM, Gerardo Pardo-Castellote wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wanted to make everyone aware that RTI just added support for Xenomai
> to RTI Connext DDS.  This is RTI's implementation of the OMG
> Data-Distribution Service standard specification.
>
> If deemed appropriate you could add this link to your Weblinks page:
> http://community.rti.com/content/forum-topic/howto-use-dds-xenomai-configure-xenomai-and-run-rti-connext-dds

Hi,

this is interesting, but not all the configuration advices apply to
latest kernels. I guess this is our fault, we should update the wiki.
Anyway:
- starting with the I-pipe for linux 3.2, disabling HPET timer or PC
speaker is no longer necessary
- starting with the I-pipe for linux 3.4, the processor choice with
regard to TSC does not really matter
- you can keep the "stack protector" option enabled on x86_32.

And something which has always been true: it is a bad idea to disable
ACPI completely, ACPI should be kept enabled, except for the
ACPI_PROCESSOR option.

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Xenomai support has been added to the OMG Data Distribution Service (DDS) Implementation from RTI
@ 2012-11-18 10:44   ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2012-11-18 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerardo Pardo-Castellote; +Cc: xenomai

On 11/18/2012 11:38 AM, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:

> On 11/17/2012 11:37 PM, Gerardo Pardo-Castellote wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I wanted to make everyone aware that RTI just added support for Xenomai
>> to RTI Connext DDS.  This is RTI's implementation of the OMG
>> Data-Distribution Service standard specification.
>>
>> If deemed appropriate you could add this link to your Weblinks page:
>> http://community.rti.com/content/forum-topic/howto-use-dds-xenomai-configure-xenomai-and-run-rti-connext-dds
>

> Hi,
>
> this is interesting, but not all the configuration advices apply to
> latest kernels. I guess this is our fault, we should update the wiki.
> Anyway:
> - starting with the I-pipe for linux 3.2, disabling HPET timer or PC
> speaker is no longer necessary
> - starting with the I-pipe for linux 3.4, the processor choice with
> regard to TSC does not really matter
> - you can keep the "stack protector" option enabled on x86_32.
>
> And something which has always been true: it is a bad idea to disable
> ACPI completely, ACPI should be kept enabled, except for the
> ACPI_PROCESSOR option.

Something else: the part about xeno-config could lead people to run
xeno-config by hand and paste the result in their makefile, this is not
the way xeno-config should be used, it is better to show people how to
integrate the use of xeno-config in their makefile, as is demonstrated
here:
https://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Porting_POSIX_applications_to_Xenomai#Compilation_flags

The difference is that if we change the flags between two versions of
xenomai, the makefiles should continue to work. We do not consider the
compilation flags as part of the ABI, so, they may change between two
versions.

Also note that starting with xenomai 2.6, pkg-config support is
available, it may make things easier for people integrating xenomai
with autotools based projects.

--
                                                                Gilles.