* using multiple version of git simultaneously
@ 2012-11-17 14:25 arif
From: arif @ 2012-11-17 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I'm trying to use different version of git simultaneously. So how can i
append some suffix (like "--program-suffix=git1.8) so that i can
distinguish between different versions.
--
Cheers
arif

* Re: using multiple version of git simultaneously
@ 2012-11-17 14:50 ` Tomas Carnecky
From: Tomas Carnecky @ 2012-11-17 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arif, git

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 20:25:21 +0600, arif <aftnix@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use different version of git simultaneously. So how can i
> append some suffix (like "--program-suffix=git1.8) so that i can
> distinguish between different versions.

Install each version into its own prefix (~/git/1.8.0/, ~/git/1.7.0/ etc).

* Re: using multiple version of git simultaneously
@ 2012-11-17 16:16   ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2012-11-17 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Carnecky; +Cc: arif, git

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 02:50:31PM +0000, Tomas Carnecky wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 20:25:21 +0600, arif <aftnix@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to use different version of git simultaneously. So how can i
> > append some suffix (like "--program-suffix=git1.8) so that i can
> > distinguish between different versions.
>
> Install each version into its own prefix (~/git/1.8.0/, ~/git/1.7.0/ etc).

Once you have done that, you can also symlink the binary from each into
your regular PATH (e.g., ln -s ~/git/1.8.0/bin/git ~/bin/git.v1.8) to
make it easy to switch between them. The installed exec-path is baked in
at compile-time, so it finds the correct git sub-programs properly.

I keep a couple dozen built versions of git around like this for quick
regression testing of bugs we see on the list.

-Peff

* Re: using multiple version of git simultaneously
@ 2012-11-18 11:04     ` arif
From: arif @ 2012-11-18 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: Tomas Carnecky, git

On 11/17/2012 10:16 PM, Jeff King wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 02:50:31PM +0000, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 20:25:21 +0600, arif <aftnix@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

>> Install each version into its own prefix (~/git/1.8.0/, ~/git/1.7.0/ etc).
>
> Once you have done that, you can also symlink the binary from each into
> your regular PATH (e.g., ln -s ~/git/1.8.0/bin/git ~/bin/git.v1.8) to
> make it easy to switch between them. The installed exec-path is baked in
> at compile-time, so it finds the correct git sub-programs properly.
>
> I keep a couple dozen built versions of git around like this for quick
> regression testing of bugs we see on the list.
>
> -Peff

So what you are saying that, making a symlink for "git" is sufficient. I
don't need to make symlinks for ever git subbinaries.

Is that correct?

--
Cheers
arif