* no activity in kernel.org btrfs-progs git repo?
@ 2012-12-12 22:42 Zach Brown
From: Zach Brown @ 2012-12-12 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

It looks like it's been a bit more than two months since

  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mason/btrfs-progs.git;a=summary

saw patches from the list.

Am I looking in the wrong place for the btrfs-progs upstream?

- z

* Re: no activity in kernel.org btrfs-progs git repo?
@ 2012-12-12 22:51 ` Hugo Mills
From: Hugo Mills @ 2012-12-12 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zach Brown; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 02:42:14PM -0800, Zach Brown wrote:
> It looks like it's been a bit more than two months since
>
>   http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mason/btrfs-progs.git;a=summary
>
> saw patches from the list.
>
> Am I looking in the wrong place for the btrfs-progs upstream?

   Two things:

1) That tree is generally only ever updated for pull requests to Linus
   during the merge window. Would that it were otherwise, but I
   suspect that...

2) ... you may want to know about josef's btrfs-next tree:

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Btrfs_source_repositories#Integration_repository_.28btrfs-next.29

   It's regarded as fairly unstable, so only run it on systems for
testing purposes (or if josef tells you it's OK and will fix one of
your problems).

   Hugo.

  --- Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle, ---
                           and quick to anger.

* Re: no activity in kernel.org btrfs-progs git repo?
@ 2012-12-12 23:20   ` Nirbheek Chauhan
From: Nirbheek Chauhan @ 2012-12-12 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo Mills, Zach Brown, linux-btrfs

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Hugo Mills <hugo@carfax.org.uk> wrote:
>    Two things:
>
> 1) That tree is generally only ever updated for pull requests to Linus
>    during the merge window. Would that it were otherwise, but I
>    suspect that...
>
> 2) ... you may want to know about josef's btrfs-next tree:
>
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Btrfs_source_repositories#Integration_repository_.28btrfs-next.29
>
>    It's regarded as fairly unstable, so only run it on systems for
> testing purposes (or if josef tells you it's OK and will fix one of
> your problems).

I think Zach was asking about the userspace tools, not the kernel
module. That link points to the kernel module integration branches,
and the link above that on the wiki page about btrfs-progs integration
hasn't had commits in the last 6 months, AFAICT.

I've been concerned about the status btrfs-progs maintenance myself.
I've seen quite a few obvious bugs about btrfs-progs on this list in
the past months—most of them with patches. However, I don't see them
enter any upstream git repositories.

Cheers,

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

* Re: no activity in kernel.org btrfs-progs git repo?
@ 2012-12-12 23:41     ` Zach Brown
From: Zach Brown @ 2012-12-12 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nirbheek Chauhan; +Cc: Hugo Mills, linux-btrfs

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 04:50:54AM +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Hugo Mills <hugo@carfax.org.uk> wrote:
> >    Two things:

*nod*

> I think Zach was asking about the userspace tools, not the kernel
> module.

But yes, I was asking about -progs :).

@ 2012-12-12 23:51     ` Hugo Mills
From: Hugo Mills @ 2012-12-12 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nirbheek Chauhan; +Cc: Zach Brown, linux-btrfs

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 04:50:54AM +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Hugo Mills <hugo@carfax.org.uk> wrote:
> >    Two things:
> >
> > 1) That tree is generally only ever updated for pull requests to Linus
> >    during the merge window. Would that it were otherwise, but I
> >    suspect that...
> >
> > 2) ... you may want to know about josef's btrfs-next tree:
> >
> > https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Btrfs_source_repositories#Integration_repository_.28btrfs-next.29
> >
> >    It's regarded as fairly unstable, so only run it on systems for
> > testing purposes (or if josef tells you it's OK and will fix one of
> > your problems).
> >

> I think Zach was asking about the userspace tools, not the kernel
> module. That link points to the kernel module integration branches,
> and the link above that on the wiki page about btrfs-progs integration
> hasn't had commits in the last 6 months, AFAICT.
>
> I've been concerned about the status btrfs-progs maintenance myself.
> I've seen quite a few obvious bugs about btrfs-progs on this list in
> the past months—most of them with patches. However, I don't see them
> enter any upstream git repositories.

   D'oh. It's been a long day... Must learn to read more carefully.
Sorry.

   I've been a combination of ill and busy (mostly busy) for the last
umpteen months, which is why the integration repo hasn't been updated.
The main -progs repo doesn't get a whole lot of love, even when I've
managed to do an integration run and hold it together for long enough
for Chris to pick it up. Patches do eventually get in, but it's
usually on a 6+-month cycle.

   Hugo.

     --- IMPROVE YOUR ORGANISMS!!  -- Subject line of spam email ---

* Re: no activity in kernel.org btrfs-progs git repo?
@ 2012-12-13 14:56       ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2012-12-13 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zach Brown; +Cc: Nirbheek Chauhan, Hugo Mills, linux-btrfs

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 04:41:50PM -0700, Zach Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 04:50:54AM +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Hugo Mills <hugo@carfax.org.uk> wrote:
> > >    Two things:
>
> *nod*
>
> > I think Zach was asking about the userspace tools, not the kernel
> > module.
>
> But yes, I was asking about -progs :).

Yes, I've got the big raid56 push ready to go out, and I've just been
trying to test it all.  I'll put that in a raid branch and get the fixes
onto master.

-chris

* Re: no activity in kernel.org btrfs-progs git repo?
@ 2012-12-13 19:50         ` Zach Brown
From: Zach Brown @ 2012-12-13 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason, Nirbheek Chauhan, Hugo Mills, linux-btrfs

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 09:56:10AM -0500, Chris Mason wrote:

> Yes, I've got the big raid56 push ready to go out, and I've just been
> trying to test it all.  I'll put that in a raid branch and get the fixes
> onto master.

Thanks.

I was asking because it's pretty annoying to go through patchwork to see
if someone else has already fixed bugs in the git tree.  This happened
to me when our distro package infrastructure freaked out at btrfs-progs
(-fno-strict-aliasing, int/ptr differences, static code analysis
lighting up a like a christmas tree).

Would it be fair to say that the project is accepting applications for
an active btrfs-progs maintainer? :)

@ 2012-12-13 21:06           ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2012-12-13 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zach Brown; +Cc: Chris Mason, Nirbheek Chauhan, Hugo Mills, linux-btrfs

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:50:40PM -0700, Zach Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 09:56:10AM -0500, Chris Mason wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I've got the big raid56 push ready to go out, and I've just been
> > trying to test it all.  I'll put that in a raid branch and get the fixes
> > onto master.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I was asking because it's pretty annoying to go through patchwork to see
> if someone else has already fixed bugs in the git tree.  This happened
> to me when our distro package infrastructure freaked out at btrfs-progs
> (-fno-strict-aliasing, int/ptr differences, static code analysis
> lighting up a like a christmas tree).
>
> Would it be fair to say that the project is accepting applications for
> an active btrfs-progs maintainer? :)

Well, the problem is the active maintainer is busy piling in other
features.  But yeah, I need to pull in the fixes, sorry.

-chris

* Re: no activity in kernel.org btrfs-progs git repo?
@ 2012-12-14 18:04 ` Piotr Pawłow
From: Piotr Pawłow @ 2012-12-14 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello,
> It looks like it's been a bit more than two months since
>
>    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mason/btrfs-progs.git;a=summary

Try git://github.com/josefbacik/btrfs-progs

I just spent whole day debugging btrfs-restore, fixing signed / unsigned
comparisons, adding another mirror retry, only to find out it is all
already done in this repository. D'oh!

Regards

* Re: no activity in kernel.org btrfs-progs git repo?
@ 2012-12-14 18:31   ` Hendrik Friedel
From: Hendrik Friedel @ 2012-12-14 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Piotr Pawłow; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Hello,

> Try git://github.com/josefbacik/btrfs-progs
>
> I just spent whole day debugging btrfs-restore, fixing signed / unsigned
> comparisons, adding another mirror retry, only to find out it is all
> already done in this repository. D'oh!

But it has no --repair option.

Greetings,
Hendrik