* kernel manual seems to make no mention of "defconfig"
@ 2012-12-23 16:26 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-12-23 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

  poking around kern-tools for purpose of documenting some stuff and
ran across this in "updateme":

split_command_line_objects() {
        command_line_values=$@

        for v in $command_line_values; do
            v_base=`basename $v`
            case $v_base in
                *.scc) migrate_feature $v
                    ;;
                *.cfg) migrate_cfg $v
                    ;;
                *.patch|*.diff) migrate_patch $v
                    ;;
                defconfig) migrate_cfg $v;;
                *) ;;
            esac
        done
}

  AFAICT, there is no mention of a possible "defconfig" entry anywhere
in the current yocto kernel manual.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: kernel manual seems to make no mention of "defconfig"
@ 2012-12-24  3:10 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2012-12-24  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>wrote:

>   poking around kern-tools for purpose of documenting some stuff and
> ran across this in "updateme":
>
> split_command_line_objects() {
>         command_line_values=$@
>
>         for v in $command_line_values; do
>             v_base=`basename $v`
>             case $v_base in
>                 *.scc) migrate_feature $v
>                     ;;
>                 *.cfg) migrate_cfg $v
>                     ;;
>                 *.patch|*.diff) migrate_patch $v
>                     ;;
>                 defconfig) migrate_cfg $v;;
>                 *) ;;
>             esac
>         done
> }
>
>   AFAICT, there is no mention of a possible "defconfig" entry anywhere
> in the current yocto kernel manual.

You won't find it there because it isn't specific to the kern-tools, what
you see
there is a small wrapper on top of the kernel.bbclass defconfig handling,
with
the same end result. So standard yocto/oe-core docs apply here.

Cheers,

Bruce

> rday

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"

* Re: kernel manual seems to make no mention of "defconfig"
@ 2012-12-24  3:22   ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2012-12-24  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Bruce Ashfield
<bruce.ashfield@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>wrote:
>

>>   poking around kern-tools for purpose of documenting some stuff and
>> ran across this in "updateme":
>>
>> split_command_line_objects() {
>>         command_line_values=$@
>>
>>         for v in $command_line_values; do
>>             v_base=`basename $v`
>>             case $v_base in
>>                 *.scc) migrate_feature $v
>>                     ;;
>>                 *.cfg) migrate_cfg $v
>>                     ;;
>>                 *.patch|*.diff) migrate_patch $v
>>                     ;;
>>                 defconfig) migrate_cfg $v;;
>>                 *) ;;
>>             esac
>>         done
>> }
>>
>>   AFAICT, there is no mention of a possible "defconfig" entry anywhere
>> in the current yocto kernel manual.
>>

> You won't find it there because it isn't specific to the kern-tools, what
> you see
> there is a small wrapper on top of the kernel.bbclass defconfig handling,
> with
> the same end result. So standard yocto/oe-core docs apply here.

I also forgot to mention that Darren did cover defconfigs in the yocto
kernel
docs that were put together for the 1.4 release (I think they were posted
here),
so there's better / additional coverage upcoming!

I'm just not near my normal development systems to confirm, since I'm hiding
out for the holidays watching a pack of kids get completely wound up for the
big day!

Cheers,

Bruce

--

@ 2012-12-24 12:30     ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-12-24 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>       On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>
>               poking around kern-tools for purpose of documenting some stuff and
>             ran across this in "updateme":
>
>             split_command_line_objects() {
>                     command_line_values=$@
>
>                     for v in $command_line_values; do
>                         v_base=`basename $v`
>                         case $v_base in
>                             *.scc) migrate_feature $v
>                                 ;;
>                             *.cfg) migrate_cfg $v
>                                 ;;
>                             *.patch|*.diff) migrate_patch $v
>                                 ;;
>                             defconfig) migrate_cfg $v;;
>                             *) ;;
>                         esac
>                     done
>             }
>
>               AFAICT, there is no mention of a possible "defconfig" entry anywhere
>             in the current yocto kernel manual.
>

> You won't find it there because it isn't specific to the kern-tools,
> what you see there is a small wrapper on top of the kernel.bbclass
> defconfig handling, with the same end result. So standard
> yocto/oe-core docs apply here.
>
> I also forgot to mention that Darren did cover defconfigs in the
> yocto kernel  docs that were put together for the 1.4 release (I
> think they were posted here), so there's better / additional
> coverage upcoming!

  ah, i will go back and check those out, thanks.  just trying to
catch up on several days of not reading the list.

@ 2013-01-07 16:25       ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-01-07 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

> On Sun, 23 Dec 2012, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>       On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>>
>>               poking around kern-tools for purpose of documenting some stuff and
>>             ran across this in "updateme":
>>
>>             split_command_line_objects() {
>>                     command_line_values=$@
>>
>>                     for v in $command_line_values; do
>>                         v_base=`basename $v`
>>                         case $v_base in
>>                             *.scc) migrate_feature $v
>>                                 ;;
>>                             *.cfg) migrate_cfg $v
>>                                 ;;
>>                             *.patch|*.diff) migrate_patch $v
>>                                 ;;
>>                             defconfig) migrate_cfg $v;;
>>                             *) ;;
>>                         esac
>>                     done
>>             }
>>
>>               AFAICT, there is no mention of a possible "defconfig" entry anywhere
>>             in the current yocto kernel manual.
>>

>> You won't find it there because it isn't specific to the kern-tools,
>> what you see there is a small wrapper on top of the kernel.bbclass
>> defconfig handling, with the same end result. So standard
>> yocto/oe-core docs apply here.
>>
>> I also forgot to mention that Darren did cover defconfigs in the
>> yocto kernel  docs that were put together for the 1.4 release (I
>> think they were posted here), so there's better / additional
>> coverage upcoming!
>
>   ah, i will go back and check those out, thanks.  just trying to
> catch up on several days of not reading the list.

They are in the process of being edited by our tech writer as well as
being converted from ascii to docbook. You can see the current state of
them here:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/hart/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html

See Section 2.2.2 and the sections that follow.

Keep in mind these are being actively worked on, so there are some rough
edges we're working through still.

Thanks,

Darren

> rday

Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center
Yocto Project - Technical Lead - Linux Kernel

* Re: kernel manual seems to make no mention of "defconfig"
@ 2013-01-07 19:21         ` Rifenbark, Scott M
From: Rifenbark, Scott M @ 2013-01-07 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart, Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

This manual has not been merged with yocto-docs/master yet so the book is not available as an "In Progess" book just yet.

Scott