* meta-cedartrail - where is grub configured for 'install' option?
@ 2012-12-09 21:39 Chris Tapp
From: Chris Tapp @ 2012-12-09 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to change the 'install' behaviour for the meta-cedartrail image so that the installed system has a different grub.cfg file. Is there a file I can bbappend to achieve this?

image_live.bbclass refers to the 'install' syslinux label that triggers the install, but I've not been able to get from this to how/where grub.cfg is created.

Chris Tapp

opensource@keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com

* Re: meta-cedartrail - where is grub configured for 'install' option?
@ 2013-01-07 16:44 ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-01-07 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/09/2012 01:39 PM, Chris Tapp wrote:
> I am trying to change the 'install' behaviour for the meta-cedartrail image so that the installed system has a different grub.cfg file. Is there a file I can bbappend to achieve this?
>
> image_live.bbclass refers to the 'install' syslinux label that triggers the install, but I've not been able to get from this to how/where grub.cfg is created.

This is currently rather crudely implemented here:

meta/recipes-core/initrdscripts/files/init-install.sh

A better deployment mechanism is something being discussed and which
should make this more configurable.

For now, you could bbappend initramfs-live-install_1.0.bb and replace the
init-install.sh script with your own.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center

* Re: meta-cedartrail - where is grub configured for 'install' option?
@ 2013-01-10  8:09   ` Chris Tapp
From: Chris Tapp @ 2013-01-10  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Darren,

On 7 Jan 2013, at 16:44, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 12/09/2012 01:39 PM, Chris Tapp wrote:
>> I am trying to change the 'install' behaviour for the meta-cedartrail image so that the installed system has a different grub.cfg file. Is there a file I can bbappend to achieve this?
>>
>> image_live.bbclass refers to the 'install' syslinux label that triggers the install, but I've not been able to get from this to how/where grub.cfg is created.
>>

> This is currently rather crudely implemented here:
>
> meta/recipes-core/initrdscripts/files/init-install.sh
>
> A better deployment mechanism is something being discussed and which
> should make this more configurable.
>
> For now, you could bbappend initramfs-live-install_1.0.bb and replace the
> init-install.sh script with your own.

Thanks. I've already got to look at that script anyway as it fails to install to an internal USB drive on a DN2800-MT board as (I think) it isn't waiting long enough for it to enumerate when booting the 'install' image.

@ 2013-01-10 17:15     ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-01-10 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/10/2013 12:09 AM, Chris Tapp wrote:
> Hi Darren,
>
> On 7 Jan 2013, at 16:44, Darren Hart wrote:
>
>> On 12/09/2012 01:39 PM, Chris Tapp wrote:
>>> I am trying to change the 'install' behaviour for the meta-cedartrail image so that the installed system has a different grub.cfg file. Is there a file I can bbappend to achieve this?
>>>
>>> image_live.bbclass refers to the 'install' syslinux label that triggers the install, but I've not been able to get from this to how/where grub.cfg is created.
>>>

>> This is currently rather crudely implemented here:
>>
>> meta/recipes-core/initrdscripts/files/init-install.sh
>>
>> A better deployment mechanism is something being discussed and which
>> should make this more configurable.
>>
>> For now, you could bbappend initramfs-live-install_1.0.bb and replace the
>> init-install.sh script with your own.
>
> Thanks. I've already got to look at that script anyway as it fails to
> install to an internal USB drive on a DN2800-MT board as (I think) it
> isn't waiting long enough for it to enumerate when booting the
> 'install' image.

Hrm, I thought it waited indefinitely for the device to appear. Or is it
finding something else and bailing out of the loop? Where is the failure?

--

@ 2013-01-11  9:00       ` Chris Tapp
From: Chris Tapp @ 2013-01-11  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Jan 2013, at 17:15, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 01/10/2013 12:09 AM, Chris Tapp wrote:
>> Hi Darren,

>>> This is currently rather crudely implemented here:
>>>
>>> meta/recipes-core/initrdscripts/files/init-install.sh
>>>
>>> A better deployment mechanism is something being discussed and which
>>> should make this more configurable.
>>>
>>> For now, you could bbappend initramfs-live-install_1.0.bb and replace the
>>> init-install.sh script with your own.
>>
>> Thanks. I've already got to look at that script anyway as it fails to
>> install to an internal USB drive on a DN2800-MT board as (I think) it
>> isn't waiting long enough for it to enumerate when booting the
>> 'install' image.
>
> Hrm, I thought it waited indefinitely for the device to appear. Or is it
> finding something else and bailing out of the loop? Where is the failure?

The only other device is the USB drive I booted from. I've not had a chance yet to really look at what's going on, but it looks as if it's not waiting long enough as it reports no installable devices. If I then check when it exits to the shell I can see the drive is there and re-running the script then means it does find it (the script then fails for other reasons to do with the failed run).

It will sometimes install, so it looks as if the wait is nearly long enough.

I'm using an ATP AF512SSGH if that makes a difference.

BTW the change I need to make to the grub file is partially related - the boot device is sda and the internal (install target) is sdb. Grub gets configured to boot from sdb but the device is sda on a clean boot.

@ 2013-01-11 16:31         ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-01-11 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/11/2013 01:00 AM, Chris Tapp wrote:

> BTW the change I need to make to the grub file is partially related -
> the boot device is sda and the internal (install target) is sdb. Grub
> gets configured to boot from sdb but the device is sda on a clean
> boot.

That is definitely a weakness in the installer. Would you please open a
bug for this? An improved installer is something we are working on and
this would be good input to track.