* Problems with weak signal on 2.4/5 GHz dual band routers
@ 2013-01-18 17:20 Natanji
From: Natanji @ 2013-01-18 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ilw, linux-wireless

Hi,
hope this is the right place to ask for support on a very specific
problem I'm experiencing. Otherwise I'd be happy to know where else I
should report this problem.

So my university is running a dual band eduroam wifi. When the signal is
rather weak, I get frequent timeouts for my network connections (even
though my network manager will report that I am still connected). When I
force my wifi card to stay on the 2.4 GHz network, everything works
fine. But I usually want to use 5GHz and benefit from the higher
transmission rate, so toggling that manually is just an ugly workaround.

Seemingly the driver makes it connect to the 5 GHz band, even if the
signal quality is so bad there that the transmission rate is worse
and/or the connection breaks down frequently (because naturally, 5 GHz
networks have more signal loss over distance). I have no idea how
iwlwifi and wpa_supplicant work internally, so maybe I am missing some
vital option there?

My card is an Intel 6300 Ultimate AGN, and I've tried different network
managers (currently on wicd) but get the same problem everywhere.

Cheers,
Natanji

only message in thread, other threads:[~2013-01-18 17:20 UTC | newest]